Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Mesh Jacket

15K views 66 replies 28 participants last post by  jayuup 
#1 ·
Today I bought a mesh motorcycle jacket.

Riding in 90 degrees in direct Vegas sunlight, it just felt like I was in a big hairdryer.

Any other suggestions on keeping cool?

I like to wear gear... preferably atgatt.

Thanks

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#37 ·
You can always stop at public restrooms along the way and "recharge" the cooling device (vest/collar).

You could work up some kind of sprinkler going across your chest, hooked up to a Camelbak, so as you are cruising along you push a button on something that would pressurize the bladder slightly. Put it on the outside of your t-shirt so the cotton soaks up the water.

#36 ·
The ambiguous, yet accurate, answer is it depends on how much airflow your jacket provides at your target speeds, and also ambient humidity. I recall mine in 100+ degree F temps in low desert humidity would last a couple hours of good cooling, followed by a trailing off of cooling for another hour or so. It's a balance of time versus cooling effect. It only holds so much water, and anything that retains then releases water can cool you a lot for a short time, a little for a long time, or anything in between, depending on the aforementioned factors, including garment design. I will say that the gel bead vest wasn't good at cooling me off if I waited too long to put it on. Better to put it on early and keep the core cool, than to wait until one is overheated then expect a relatively slow evaporation to work miracles and bring it back down. But good luck if you buy one of those gel bead vest thingies. As I mentioned, the longevity of mine was abysmal.

#39 ·
My Roadcrafter is due to arrive in August. I can't wait! Do you notice cooling air coming in the front vents?
I have a nice Tourmaster Epic that does not leak when the vents are closed, but now that warmer weather has gotten here, it is not practical when I have a Motoport air-mesh Kevlar jacket hanging in the closet.

I just want the Roadcrafter for the commuting simplicity. I won't have to carry rain gear anymore, and it is on/off in seconds! And working 8PM - 4:30AM I don't have to worry about heat-of-the-day issues.

#42 ·
I have a Joe Rocket Velocity. It seems like an okay jacket, but I don't have anything to compare it to.

#44 ·
I've got a 48 chest, I went with a XXL and it's kinda baggy. I could wear a thermal shirt under it no problem. The wind proof liner that comes with it definitely works, I took it out on my first ride, and I won't be looking for it until it gets into the 60's.

#52 ·
Lol, I got a Repsol model, but if you're ever near Baton Rouge hit me up.

#58 ·
No, but Amazon sure thinks I want one...

#65 ·
#67 ·
Not going to read entire thread, but I just got a speed and strength trial by fire jacket (mesh) that's cool enough to wear walking through a mall on a 80 degree day. Riding home at night it was actually a bit chilly (air temp 74 at the time). Even the fit rocked for me, perfection.

My only misgivings is that the armor that it comes with is a bit on the thin side, slightly thinner than my alpine stars jacket.

Bohn undershirt and good to go if you think it's too thin.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.