Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Helmet colors....

13K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  sendler 
#1 ·
Ok, I understand to buy a helmet that fits me and is good quality. I am looking at a basic Shoei Qwest.

Has anyone come across a helmet that matches the red CBR color well?:D

#7 ·
Picking a helmet was one of the most tortured "wardrobe" decisions I've ever made. I wanted colors that complimented the red/silver bike theme, and I hate the typical flashy designs that adorn modern helmets.

I found a tasteful design that kept the red/black/silver theme in the form of a Shoei RF-1100 "Enigma":

Extremely happy with my purchase.

Did I mention that I don't actually own the bike yet?

#9 ·
Function

How much do you plan to ride at speeds above 50 mph? And for how many years? Buy your helmet for what it does, not how it looks. Then pick the color. There is a huge difference between helmet performance. Two important considerations are noise and anti fog. A 100db helmet will cause permanent hearing loss everytime you ride unless you always wear ear plugs. It is often foggy in the mornings where I live so an internal pin visor is a great feature. It completely eliminates fogging. You will also want an integral top gun style sunvisor so that you can always use a clear main visor. Check out the videos at Revzilla to help decide. Schuberth S1 helmets are showing up on ebay for $200. Also, white or bright silver helmets get hit 25% less often than dark colors. A white or HiVis helmet is really the only statistcally significant color choice out of the whole bike/ rider color scheme you can make to improve visability.
Touring Helmets - RevZilla

#10 ·
How much do you plan to ride at speeds above 50 mph? And for how many years? Buy your helmet for what it does, not how it looks. Then pick the color. There is a huge difference between helmet performance. Two important considerations are noise and anti fog. A 100db helmet will cause permanent hearing loss everytime you ride unless you always wear ear plugs. It is often foggy in the mornings where I live so an internal pin visor is a great feature. It completely eliminates fogging. You will also want an integral top gun style sunvisor so that you can always use a clear main visor. Check out the videos at Revzilla to help decide. Schuberth S1 helmets are showing up on ebay for $200. Also, white or bright silver helmets get hit 25% less often than dark colors. A white or HiVis helmet is really the only statistcally significant color choice out of the whole bike/ rider color scheme you can make to improve visability.
Touring Helmets - RevZilla
Thanks, but I have already addressed the quality and safety aspects of my search; just wanted to add some red to the color that matches the CBR factory color.

#12 ·

I bought this cheaper from a site in England than I could find it in the US. Plus they didn't offer the lime green in the US. I had a 3/4 Bell helmet that didn't fit right and this NEXX XR1R is an amazing helmet. It is very comfortable and it is very high quality build. It is actually cooler than the 3/4 Bell. I had to wait weeks for shipping but they had to call the factory to get an xxxl for my huge melon. Couldn't be happier with it. I have notice how many more people glance my way in comparison to the black helmet. I feel much more visible. It compliments the red/siver as well as a high vis helmet could I think.

#18 ·
I'd buy something neutral or to your liking and not worry about matching your bike's red color (silver could match easy). You'll end up with a red that doesn't match and people will look at you and say, look he tried to match his bike and failed miserably.

If you are lucky, maybe you have a local dealer that will let you test ride helmets (mine does for me, don't know about others). So many factors come in to play, I'd guess they are all going to protect in a manner pleasing to DOT. Along with trying to find one that doesn't let wind whistle around in the cabin, I look for one that doesn't jerk my head around while riding.. I've been through a number of more economical helmets that were very comfortable, and some were quiet, but on longer trips gave my neck more fatigue than I liked. I settled on Shoei, I love their visor system.

That's not to say that Arai or another wouldn't be better, but I haven't heard too many people complain about Shoei. Some folks can't afford to spend 4 to 6 hundred on a helmet, nothing wrong with that. If you can try a few out, you'll be happier in the long run.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.