Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Any one put a Cold Compress in your helmet?

3K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  TX_Dj 
#1 ·
I am live in the South where it is hot a lot of the time. I have a cheap Walmart full face helmet that does not have good air flow so it gets hot.

Last summer I started putting a cold compress in between the shell and the inner lining to help keep my head cool. It works for about 45 minutes. It was enough to get me to work, then at lunch time and then on my way home, putting in the the freezer in between.

One day I hope to get a good helmet with good air flow, but there is not much air flow at a red light.

Just curious if anyone else does this or something similar.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I doubt anyone else here does that, because it seems like a bad idea. If you were to get into an accident and that packet burst... I could imagine things wouldn't be very pleasant with all the propylene glycol and other stuff they might use.

Just buy a better helmet. It's an investment in your personal safety, and in this case, comfort.

#3 ·
I live in TN so I believe you about the heat (and the humidity, worst part). But I probably wouldn't do this and sort of agree with Kamal. My helmet is a Vega with drop-down sunshades, awesome for hot days because I can have the shield up and still have eye/sun protection. They're relatively inexpensive, you should check them out, if you decide you want to look for a new helmet.

Maybe instead of a cold compress, you could soak a doo-rag and stick it in the freezer for just a bit, not enough to where it freezes solid, and stick it in before you go.

#6 ·
I appreciate the concern with the insert of the cold compression. It does not really change the fit of the helmet. The helmet seems to fit well with or with out it. I would bet that if I got hit with a force that would bust it, then I most likely would be around to care about any mess.

I don't use it all the time. Just when it's 90 and above and I will not be riding more than 45 minutes.

My main obstacle with getting a new $300 to $500 helmet is there no place within hundreds of miles that sell them and I hate to spend that type of money without trying one on first. The motorcycle stores around Jackson MS might carry helmets up to about $200. One of these days I will make it to Dallas or Atlanta where I should be able to find a store that carriers them in inventory. In the mean time I will keep reading more helmet reviews.

I was looking to see if there were other solutions to the heat that I had not thought of.

Thanks

#9 ·
I am live in the South where it is hot a lot of the time. I have a cheap Walmart full face helmet that does not have good air flow so it gets hot.

Last summer I started putting a cold compress in between the shell and the inner lining to help keep my head cool. It works for about 45 minutes. It was enough to get me to work, then at lunch time and then on my way home, putting in the the freezer in between.

One day I hope to get a good helmet with good air flow, but there is not much air flow at a red light.

Just curious if anyone else does this or something similar.

Order one offline at amazon they have TMS helmets for like 20 bucks with head and mouth vents.. just got one works great, downfall is there is no quick release..

#10 ·
I really like my Shoei RF-1100, and although I sweat typically it isn't my head (moreso the other gear I wear). If you did go shoei, check their website for sizing (they list shell size by circumference of your head), then maybe try one on for size in real life.

If you do buy online, make sure you can return. I know I have a 'Shoei Head' so I'm good with their brand, other heads might/will vary.

#11 ·
I considered the RF1100 but went with a Qwest instead, as it seemed to be more geared to commuters and not as aggressive ("sporty") as the RF1100. One thing that's nice about the Shoei is that you can figure out your helmet sizing by comparing their sizes to a baseball cap (New Era 59fifty, for example)... I wear a 7 3/8" ball cap, and my helmet is the exact same size.

#12 ·
I have a huge head. Long oval. Nobody makes hats that fit me right (except custom haberdashers, but that's ridiculous to pay Arai helmet prices for hats), and finding a helmet that fits me well is a long and tiresome quest. The only ball caps that fit me are the ones with the fabric strap adjuster, and even then, many are still too tight to clasp!

I had an RF1000 - the XL had too much gap on the sides, and the L had too little clearance front to back. I modified it to fit. Even still, it would give me a headache on long trips. Gave it away with a bike I sold in order to negotiate a higher selling price. Probably recouped only half the cost of the helmet using it as a bargaining chip.

I tried an RF1100 recently, the XL not only had too much gap on the sides, but i could darn near pull it off my head. The L wouldn't fit me at all, couldn't even get my head inside.

Grabbed a Qwest XL, fits like a glove... even after the shopkeeper said "they'll be the same". It's a good, light helmet, has great ventilation you can actually feel at speed... Not terribly noisy other than the typical Shoei visor squeels when open or turning your head to the side at speed. More or less dead silent with earplugs.

#13 ·
It may not make sense, but cooling the neck, with a cooling bandanna, or even better, the trunk of the body can make the whole body feel cooler, they work in the same way the old swamp coolers used to work, moisture is evaporated off the surface, thus dropping the felt temperature, the faster you go the lower it goes. The original air conditioners used the same technique.
I live in South Carolina, and know the dangers of not keeping cool century plus temperatures are often the norm. I was stationed twice in San Antonio, TX, both times I went there from Colorado in July, 110-115 plus temperatures are the norm there, and we saw a lot of heat injuries from excessive exercise, without proper hydration.
I had experienced heatstroke as a patient while in basic training, and, believe me it's not something you want.
I would not recommend using those cooling packs in your helmet, they aren't really designed for the kinds of repeated pressures tightening a helmet places on the whole surface, someone mentioned propylene glycol, trust me, it is not the best eye drop in the world.
These vests have been used successfully, to keep the body core temperatures down to manageable levels.

Amazon.com: MiraCool Hi-Viz Yellow Heat Stress Prevention Cooling Vest Plus, L/XL, #901: Home Improvement

Doc

#17 ·
It may not make sense, but cooling the neck, with a cooling bandanna, or even better, the trunk of the body can make the whole body feel cooler, they work in the same way the old swamp coolers used to work, moisture is evaporated off the surface, thus dropping the felt temperature, the faster you go the lower it goes.
Spot on, Doc.

Of course you are. You have the training.

It makes perfect sense, though... cooling the neck. I've done this quite a lot while out riding in the heat in backwoods trails. I'd take my neck protector, slide the foam out of the liner, get it just sopping wet, stuff it back in and put it back on.

All the blood in your body passes thru your neck TWICE every time it goes around the system. And there you have it, cooling it off TWICE... once before it goes to the brain, and again before going to the rest of the body.

Wet your shirt down, and voila... you have the full package right there.

And of course... all that wetness on your skin is great- but unless you keep some inside the body, you're done for anyhow... stay hydrated folks. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.