Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Luggage question

5K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  sendler 
#1 ·
I'm looking for something for weekend trips to see my folks. Probably only need enough gear for a long weekend at most. I was looking at these but wanted some opinions. I wonder if they are too big for the bike? Any feedback or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

https://dowcopowersports.com/fastrax-backroads-series-saddlebags/

#2 · (Edited)
You travel alone?
I would say: To big, yes
28 liter per side is way too much.
I did a 2 week trip, lately, with saddlebags, each about 11 liter or such. Plus a carry on backpack.
Could stay 4 days without washing!
Aside, that you need to check, if the exhaust would be to close to the right bag, you have to think about the width.
During driving, I mean!

But in case, you wanna go for the bags from your link:
http://www.amazon.com/Dowco-50145-00-Fastrax-Backroads-Saddlebags/dp/B001C3IAS8

And save some money

#3 ·
I have a Dowco tank bag and the quality is good. I also like the Cortech stuff. The new contoured bags look cool and would be enough with the matching seat bag. I also like to use a big tank bag to lean down on during long rides.
CORTECH Performance Powersports Apparel & Motorcycle Luggage - Super 2.0 Contoured Saddlebags
I was using soft luggage until I came up with the much cheaper and more versatile plank system I use now. I went for pizzas yesterday.

#4 ·
The main thing is to ensure your gear stays dry in a downpour. The Dowco unit looks great but even with the rain hood it might let you down. One solution is to pack the gear inside their own separate plastic bags, like ziplock or garbage bags before putting them in the saddlebags.

Another option is a rubberized gear bag with a roll top. For example this one.

It may be a bit larger than what you're looking for but you get the idea.

#5 ·
The main thing is to ensure your gear stays dry in a downpour. ....
One solution is to pack the gear inside their own separate plastic bags, like ziplock or garbage bags before putting them in the saddlebags.

There are a lot PVC Saddle bags out there
Something like this from Givi:
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

I never had water in mine (Not from Givi, but PVC).
But also I prefer to put everything in Plasticbags, inside. You never know.

What I think, to the OP's choice:
I think, they are a bit to long, maybe to deep, but definetely to wide, if extended!

To long, to squeeze them comfortably between indicator and leg/ass of the rider.
With pillion, ....?
To deep, not to get to close to the exhaust.
And wider, as the handlebar in front of the rider is!
What I have seen a lot of times a a reason, to hung up.
On a tight corner around a car or such

#6 ·
I love my Orlieb Saddlebags. They've been a great addition to my CBR150R (little brother to the CBR250R) when touring. When I started using them - they were like a revelation. Why? Waterproof. I could just throw stuff in them and never have to worry about items getting wet, or having to be bothered to stop on the side of the road (often at inopportune times) and search for rain covers (to discover you didn't bring them), or have to debate constantly whether you should put on the covers when the weather appeared questionable in the distance (which often meant that about 50% of the time you estimated wrong and the bags got drenched anyways).

I would never buy any kind of bag that required a rain-cover ever again. It is like having to put a rain cover on your car each time it threatened rain while out shopping or traveling. Like a car with a porous roof. Why? Incredibly inconvenient when much better options are available.

With that said - I'm abandoning the Ortliebs. Really?!? Yes. Why? With these small displacement bikes, good aerodynamic profiles are important out on the highway when touring. I'm now following Sendler's lead. Trying to get all of my gear - inline - behind me. What's the difference? Better fuel economy, and noticeably improved performance out on the highway. Especially in windy conditions (i.e., headwinds). And who doesn't want better performance and economy? To that end, I now have some Kriega US30 waterproof bags that I will stack on top of each other on the pillion seat. You can see a black Kriega bag on the pillion in the second photo. As a Brit might say, it's a brilliant piece of kit. It comes with some straps so you can secure it under the pillion seat and just clip them on to the bag resting on the seat itself. I wish I knew about these when I was starting out. Very simple, quick, and easy. And I can transfer them to any bike I have in my stable. Or any new bike I acquire. And they work very well. The additional US30 on top simply clips into the US30 on the bottom. Nice and simple.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.