Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

How often do you replace your faceshield/ eye protection?

3K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  MotoMike 
#1 ·
I think I'm about to buy my 3rd in 8 months.

Sent from my PG86100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#3 ·
Well they are scratched and quite hazy. I'm not quite sure why. Lots of little scratches are causing poor night vision. I ride frequently @ night and I don't like how hazy it is now.

#9 ·
I hope you're not using paper towels or any kind of paper product to clean your shields.
All paper towels and tissues have tiny embedded wood shavings not visible to the naked eye. Over time all those microscopic scatches have a cumulative effect until the shield is so hazy it's useless.
Shields should only be cleaned using microfiber or cotton cloth, NEVER paper products.

I use a product called All Kleer Windshield & Visor made by Black Labs Corp. and a microfiber cloth. I have visors that are 5 years old that are as clear as new.

#4 ·
One screen lasts me about 2 years.

I have a 3/4 helmet with five metal snaps.
A $10 screen snaps onto those snaps, and generally works well.

I ride about 1000 miles per month, so my screen goes about 24000
miles before it gets too scratched to use, or accidentally breaks.

My current screen is near the end of its career, so I have a spare.

Keith

P.S. It is not acceptable to call me names if I chose
a helmet that you consider unsafe. My $, my choice.

#5 ·
You might want to check with your bike shop, or online for a scratch remover for your particular face shield. I've run out, but, the particular brand of the face shield might be able to direct you to a scratch remover. I have used the scratch remover for plastic eyeglasses in a pinch.
It will get you through if it is compatible with your face shield.
Just a shot.

Doc

#12 ·
You might want to check with your bike shop, or online for a scratch remover for your particular face shield. I've run out, but, the particular brand of the face shield might be able to direct you to a scratch remover. I have used the scratch remover for plastic eyeglasses in a pinch.
It will get you through if it is compatible with your face shield.
Just a shot.
Doc
Novus Plastic Polish: NOVUS Plastic Polish

Yamaha dealers sell a similar product in a Yamalube branded bottle. P/N ACC-PLASP-OL-11

Meguiars Mirror Glaze is another brand to look for at auto parts stores.

#6 ·
Googles (dirt bike) ~ every 4 years

Face shields ~ every 18-24 months

And I thought that I was hard on face shields. <grin>

#8 ·
It's an Icon. I think it's partly because I drive mostly highway tucked with my visor just above the windscreen and at 80-90 mph, all this TX dust blows into it. Don't get me wrong, I can still see, it's just not as clear as new like I would like.

#11 ·
I'm a "clear optics" freak, and max duration for me is 1 year, I usually put a new one on every 6 mos., and that's with microfiber cleaning. A new one lasts about 2-3 weeks before it's noticeably scratched to me, and then I just live with the growing number of scratches until it bugs me too badly. (pun not intended...hehe)

Another factor may be how your helmet is stored... I use a fleece helmet bag, and try to clean the visor as soon as I get home, before storage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.