Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Best Performance parts!!

70K views 30 replies 21 participants last post by  MG83 
#1 ·
Whats the best performance mods you can do to the 250r?
Im looking to do some aftermarket mods to my stock 250r.
I read somewhere that yoshimura exhaust, with a power commander v fuel managment chip and a better air filter would gain more HP and Torque for the money and best results. Now i understand that maybe a personal opinion but what is hands down proven performance parts??

#5 · (Edited)
It really doesnt matter what you put on the bike as for performance mods, the bike is a single pumper thats almost right at the max of its HP, you can put an aftermarket exhaust and save a few pounds, you can purchase a set of Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa tires and ride it until there is no more thread left on the tire, but like a few have said and many will I am sure, get to know you and the bike what you can and cant do with it. Go take an advanced course in motorcycle training, watch the films mentioned above or read the books, get a few track days or get a lot of track days. After a year or 2 and many miles later upgrade to a bigger bike; if you still enjoy riding, and start all over again.

I guess what I am trying to say is its your bike do what you want with it, the mods that you mentioned for the bike would probably be the best, but learning to ride it to the fullest can beat any mods or after market parts you put on the bike. Learn counter steering, roll on the throttle, find the apex in corners, always look where you want to go in a turn. I have a friend that can out run me on a raider 150 in the twisties, not on the straights as I have more power, but he has many years of practice.

#6 ·
While you all have valid points, those are all in place, and of course i know you can always keep improving your riding. What i was asking was what performance parts are the best in terms of the numbers. Horsepower and torque. Increased throttle response and acceleration. All without shortening life of the motor or reliability. I do know that my 250r is running at its peak stock, but would like to increase this as far as i can go with bolt on parts. We all know that manufacturers have a range of legal limits to keep within to sell the bikes. But as an owner you can tweak and enhance this to your liking. Thats my goal. While selling the bike for bigger, this bike in its current form and settings i love, the feel and finish. Im sure after getting a use to her in the coming months i would like to increase the powerband a bit more. Now if i hit the limits of her performance and still want more i will consider a bigger bike. My first choice was a cbr600rr but opted for this because of price and a new over used/dogged bike!! But i feel this will be a bike to keep because of ease of use, gas milage, and fun factor. So if you please. Im asking for answers to that degree, thanks

#16 ·
... What i was asking was what performance parts are the best in terms of the numbers. Horsepower and torque. Increased throttle response and acceleration. All without shortening life of the motor or reliability. I do know that my 250r is running at its peak stock, but would like to increase this as far as i can go with bolt on parts.
All the replies in this thread have offered sound, honest answers to your questions: There is very little return on your money when it comes to bolt on parts and the quest for increased performance... now if you want an aftermarket exhaust because you like the way it looks, sounds, and will drop 13 to 15 lbs over the stock muffler... go for it. Most of us have replaced the muffler for those same reasons.

... We all know that manufacturers have a range of legal limits to keep within to sell the bikes...
That's not true... if it were true (at least in the U.S.) an 18 year old squidly noob would not be able to walk into a dealership, throw down for, and ride away on a liter bike (or a 600 Sport Bike for that matter).

... Im sure after getting a use to her in the coming months i would like to increase the powerband a bit more...
It's not an old school, two stroke Yamaha RZ350N... you're not going to be able to do anything to the power band of this bike. Unless you pull the motor and ship it off to HRC. That doesn't seem likely.

... But i feel this will be a bike to keep because of ease of use, gas milage, and fun factor. So if you please. Im asking for answers to that degree, thanks
1) Install a 13T front sprocket, SpeedoDRD, sticky tires, and the exhaust of your choice.

2) With out doing anything else to the bike, it is fully capable of providing startling amounts of sphincter pucker... go out and play.

3) Keep your expectations realistic. :)

#9 ·
All of the above, also a 13t front sprocket will help with acceleration .
At the end of the day it will still be a single cylinder 250cc bike that is designed for putting around on, it doesn't matter how much cash you throw at it. So here's some options for you, do the full exhaust, air filter, pcv & sprocket costing maybe $2000 depending on brands, shipping, fitting & tuning or put that money to one side & keep it for a head start on a bigger bike that will make you happy.

#10 ·
@250 Angel

Thats just it your not going to get any head snapping pull the front wheel off the ground 200 MPH out of this bike, its a great commuter/learning bike. It gets great fuel mileage, gives plenty of grins under your helmet. Unfortunately for us modders/customisers Honda did the bike right the first time.

Like grynchmeister pointed out you can spend over $1000 however you might only gain 2 - 3 more HP stock you have maybe 24HP so if you dont mind spending a lot for minimum HP gain then buy what your heart desires. Like I mentioned above your better off getting some GOOD tires, take an MSF course, and going to the track. Learn the bike and your capabilities on it, then when you go ride with your buddies and hit the twisties you can amaze your friends with how you can keep up with and even pass a 600cc bike in the turns.

I know you are wanting more HP Look at my avatar thats my 250 I have put everything on it that you can imagine, spent more money on it then I needed to and it still only does 155 KPH 96 MPH down hill with me and my wife on it. The bike has only been out a few years let the aftermarket guys catch up with the bike.

Ill say it again MSF course and track days will get you more out of the bike then any amount of aftermarket parts you can put on it <----- trust me on this. Not the answer you want but its the best answer there is.

Reactions: Jme250RA
#11 ·
I just don't get it. Every time a newcomer ask for tips on modifications there are a team of folks saying stuff like: it's only a 250, don't waste your money, buy a second hand SS bike and so on but the truth is MOST of us have made performance modifications on our bikes.
I don't like a heavy and bulky SS bike to go through heavy traffic, I just love to hang around on my little CBR and I just wanted a little more pick up for my weekend rides. Is that a sin??

#12 ·
Its your bike your money spend and install what ever you want. You NEWCOMERS are asking us OLDTIMERS whats the best way to get more out of the bike. I have already been there and done that. I have spent enough on my 250 to buy a new SS bike, and its still not an SS its a 250 and thats all it will ever be no matter how much cash you throw at it.

If your asking for someones opinion and dont get the answer you want to hear thats not our fault. Most of us have been there and done that with the 250 we know what you can get out of the bike in terms of HP. Its a great bike for learning and commuting on. MSF course and track days is money spent more wisely. Thats my opinion.

#17 ·
Thanks guys for all the posts and comments. To the question from grynchmeister, I guess what i hope to Gain from modifying it was to get more of a grin factor by feeling more power out of a smaller bike. While a 600rr does this well for a slightly heavier bike. I guess ive always had an appeal or obsession with making little things go faster or perform better than stock. Kind of like that feel of achievement, or pride in knowing you did the impossible or could do more with less to prove everyone wrong. Like rooting for the underdog because no one else believes in him. So to say the least, the bike has already passed my expectations of how it would perform. I havent even given her all that shes got, being that shes new with 10 miles on her now. Just wanting to break her in easy til the 600 mile service. After that im sure i will really give her a run for the money. And yes i would like to drop the weight and look with the stock exhaust. Just would like to get the best while im doing it. As for the long term goal of the bike. Yes shes a commuter bike and a breeze to ride. But i never intended to use this bike to race or do wild tricks on. But if i could i would like to achieve making her one of the top bikes in the class of 250r. Kinda one of the elite. While i may stand with all others that have modded their bike to that max, that is a circle im willing to work toward. For all other that think that a 250s a 250 who cares, well i guess the numbers show. Anyone who loves theyre bike for what she is and enjoys the challenge of tricking a small bike for the pleasure of doing it. While no offense intended to the veterans of the sport or guys that have rode for years and look down on others cause of how big they go. Thats entirely up to the owners, it easy for anyone to say get a bigger bike, or thats a piece of ******************** bike. the real Enthusiasts enjoy the fun of making something theyre own and standing out not because of how powerful you are but because you do something others didnt care to or could do. Thats the honor in owning a bike that your proud of. Thats what i want!! To know i built a bike(so to speak) that i can call my own and stand by saying "Yep, thats my baby, no matter how little she be, i love her for what she is" isnt that what all bikers and car enthuseists are about. Feeling good about what you have, not what others say or can do to try to make yours inferior. I guess for me its not about having the biggest gun to blow people away, its having this little dinky gun that barely fits in the palm of your hand do the most damage than that big one did. Grins :) like will smith in men in black with the little gun. Classic!! So yes thats my intention. And hey if she only wrings out a few more lbs of torque and a few more #s on the HP. Then thats cool, as long as she looks good doin it and is fun as hell to ride im a happy man in heaven. To all the 250r owners out there. Keep the little beast alive. And may she live long and adventurous. Hope to see and hear of her doing things and being places noone ever thought could be possible. Thankyou all for your posts and happy modding and safe riding.

#18 · (Edited)
good attitude! between all the members on this forum, nearly everything has been done, or is currently in the works, to improve on this great bike. just take some time and use the search to find them. you will probably find there is more to be gained by weight savings than adding HP's. every 15 -16 lbs lost will roughly equate to 1 HP gained (aftermarket exhaust, fender eliminators, rear sets). there are areas to gain a few HP's (aftermarket exhaust, piggyback modules, overbore kits), some suspension mods that will make the bike handle way better (aftermarket springs, emulators, shocks, rear sets, clipons, sag adjustments and tires), lighting mods for visibility (HID projectors and LED kits) and gear. most of these topics have a DIY write up here on this forum and there are many here who can answer any question you could have regarding these areas. welcome to the forum.

#19 ·
If I really wanted to get some more fun out of the 250, I'd drill it out for safety wiring, mount up some sticky rubber, flush the coolant for Engine Ice, blow $1000 on one-piece leathers, and ride it to the track.

You get to ride it at 10/10ths pretty much out of the gate. Can't say that for the 600s.

#20 ·
You'll be lucky if you get 10% increase with all the mods mentioned. I know. I made 3/4 of them. Not for increased hp but for fun. I sacrificed power at the top end for increase on the bottom to midrange. 250 is still an awesome bike but it is still a single thumper that now sounds like a lawn mower.

#21 ·
some suggestions for fun increases in HP

Hello,
I have used my 2012 as my main transport since purchasing it a couple years ago. It is a fantastic bike for my purposes. I have had a long standing love affair with 250cc bikes starting with my first YZ 250 F for motocross a decade ago. So heres some suggestions for the most fun mods that DO deliver a noticeable increase on this bike when in the mid range speeds and around town or in corners.
I put on a stainless header and a two brothers carbon fiber black exhaust. it looks sharp, is extremely throaty and appealing in sound (turns a lot of heads and is distinctive), gives a better throttle response (maybe 1 or 2 HP) and most importantly saves a ton of weight from the bulky stock exhaust.
Adding a K&N air filter is not so expensive and improves the breathing further with the exhaust.
The stock tires are fine but better rubber (pirelli diablo rosso IIs or whatever) make handling nicer even.
A 13T sprocket up front lowers top end to around 85mph instead of 90 but is fun in corners and i have no need of 90mph out of this bike.
a power commander is pretty insignificant to me as the bike really runs great with the exhaust and filter. The more weight you shed the better if you don't have a passenger you could go with changing pegs and things. but for a regular rider its nice to have the passenger set up. I even bolted a rack on mine and an egg crate so i can carry gear as well as a passenger, even a dog at times. all in all you can get maybe a total of 3 to 5 more hp with basic mods. more importantly is losing weight if you are going that direction. but the bike is great fun and well set up. its all about appeal in riding to me.
maintain it well and you will get years of fun use.
ride safe and enjoy lifes turns.

#24 ·
Hello,
The more weight you shed the better...
i think this is key. all i've taken off so far is the front fairings and stock headlight bracket (replaced w/ a yamaha fz16 headlight for a naked look).

the difference is noticeable; it definitely had a positive effect on the power profile and how the bike leans/turns.

i'm really looking forward to taking the stock exhaust off... should be an even more significant loss of weight.

#22 · (Edited)
Facts:
1. On a stock CBR250R the power and torque drop off quickly past 8000rpm. That gives another 2500 safe engine rpms that aren't worth using.

2. Honda know how to get 40hp out of a street legal 250 cylinder. They put four of them side by side and call the result a Fireblade.

3. The NX250 I had ten years ago did pull evenly through to 10000rpm although I doubt it had as high peak torque as the CBR250R.

Googling power curves for the CBR250 shows that Honda have made the motor quite peaky by four stroke single cylinder standards, with that peak occurring quite early. What I think most folks here are looking for is not tarmac shredding power but a few more usable revs and less gear changing required to keep in the sweet spot. If that could be done for 10 to 20% the cost of the bike I'd go for it.

#25 ·
I went with a Leo Vince evo II and a 40t rear Vortex sprocket. The bike accelerates harder and the throttle response is sharper. Cycle World got 3 more HP with this exhaust. The bike pulls harder and is a lot more fun. But it will always be a 250 single so I'm going to run it hard. From 7000 to 9500 on tight curvy roads it at least feels fast and makes me grin like a lunatic!

#26 · (Edited)
Any reason you went with a 40T rear instead of the (cheaper) 13T front?

Also, definitely* need a K&N air filter. *waits for bites*

*Stock air filter is more than sufficient.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#28 ·
I'm in the middle of turning my 2012 CBR250R from a combined street/track bike into a full fledged track only racer. Here's a thread that shows pretty much everything you can do to improve the CBR250R. Not all will be applicable to you, since some is for track only, but this is a great thread!

http://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-performance/25529-2012-cbr250r-race-bike.html

As to whether you should improve this bike or not - that's completely personal. I love this bike because you ride 10/10 with almost no mods (on the track) from the start. However, now that I'm going to enter into races with it, I want to be able to beat the Ninjettes. To each their own... mod to your heart's content.

Reactions: JohnnyB943
#29 ·
I have a two brothers exhaust and took my airfilter cover off, that really helped a lot.
Also a set of Pirelli Sport Demons, added 5 hp right there.

A guy in my group was boasting about trading in his Triumph Daytona to get a brand new BMW S1000...after a 3 corners he was no longer in my mirrors and I ended up waiting awhile at the end of the road.
Lesson to be taken: Learn to ride quickly and you won't need to do major mods (Unless your racing).

#30 ·
Not trying to revive this thread but come on, it’s a 250! It’s a starter/commuter bike! It’s far from a performance machinery gstting 70 mpg! Step up & get a different bike if you want thrills. I recently got my 250 cause it will keep me out of trouble so I can enjoy riding my S1000rr on my days off.

#31 ·
Lots of this lots of that go buy big cc ect comments.

here is the worthy best performance parts with useful comments;

To better something first you need to focus on the worst parts. As matter of fact that the worst part of the bike as stock is tires (unless you ride in USA becouse irc tires and the asphalt type USA is perfect match) .you can change tires to rosso or pilotstreet or battlax depending on your expectations from tire (performance / durability / combo)

Another issue that the most power loss occurs by transfer from front sprocket to rear wheel sprocket. For this issue i advise to use DID chain prefably xring and Esjot sprockets . better sprocket combination with better chain will achive higher power transmission.

Also there is a issue with head light. luminosity of the head lights are very standart , i would strongly reccommend to use a led head light such as novsight with 6500kelvin with 16000-18000 lumen. This really increases your night drive capability and safety.

Minor performance increase will be achieved with performance air filter and after market exhaust. But to be honest if filter maintended and checked periodically those parts will not make very significant change.
When it comes to exhaust its more decorative than being technical. It will give better look and better sound and will improve performance slightly but when compared to their price its abit "too much too little"

Changing the program of ECU will definetely increase power but that will also increase generated heat and will burn more fuel . In long run it will cost more as fuel consumption and early part replacements. In this aspect it becomes abit of personal choice. Some likes to live like a candle burning slightly for long time some likes to live like flying rocket bursting in gorgerous flames in seconds . So it will be upto how you like to ride your bike.

I hope this will be helpful to you. my cbr has did chain esjot sprocket performance air filter battlax tires novsight headlamps. max speed 180km revlimiter. fuel consumption for riding 360km in 2.2hour (140-180kmh speed) 3.9 liter per 100km

i clean my chain almost every 2 week and i change oil and filter aprox every 3000 km . good maintaned bike will give good performance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.