Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums - View Single Post - Seeking a USA 2007-2010 CBR125r: the saga.
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 03-03-2019, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
seeking!

Seeking a USA 2007-2010 CBR125r: the saga.

Greetings, all!
I have long taken an interest in the 2007-2010 generation of Honda's CBR-125r, and I may finally be in a position to purchase one for myself.

A history-
These small-but-capable bikes were not offered by Honda in the USA, we assume on the presumption they wouldn't be wanted. For the most part, the US doesn't have graduated motorcycle licensing, which is what seems to drive the market for limited-displacement road machines. Canada does that licensing scheme, and thus Honda started selling the CBR125 models to the lucky Canucks in 2007.

I can't really explain about the more recent US popularity of the limited-displacement Honda Grom minibike, and its variants or imitators. So let's leave that sidetrack alone, for now. This post is about the CBR125r.

"Canada?!" I said to myself, way back then. "That's right next door, here in New York State. I can just go buy a baby-CBR there, and for wicked cheap too!" Unfortunately not. Bringing one in from Canada (whether new or used) has not turned out to be the easy (or even rational) process many folks like me would hope for.

But sometimes...-
That said, every so often, a second-hand CBR-125 will show up for sale on eBay or in the classifieds, already titled here in the states. Those sellers are always prohibitively far away from me, but the motorcycle for sale is consistently street-legal and ready to ride

Cheers to you folks who get the tasking done, and then make these rides available to the next owner! The complicated part is then taken care of; I just need to have the resources to bring it home, on top of the purchase price.

I have let two of those available bikes pass in just the last year, for my still being too poor to seize the opportunity when it presented. In those cases, I wrote the sellers to offer my sincere compliments, and wish them well on the sale; heartbroken that I couldn't propose to be their buyer.

Opportunity/dilemma-
I have now found one of these rare learner-sportbikes for sale in Florida, and I may have enough dollars saved to both buy the thing _and_ go get it. But wait, there's a catch! Because there had to be a catch.

This particular one is _not_ yet titled here in the US. It is owned by a Canadian citizen living in Florida, and wishing to sell, but not finding any takers for a street motorcycle which he doesn't have a US title on. He is moving home in the coming weeks, and will reluctantly haul the machine back if no one bites.

What to do about it-
My home state is very strict about adhering to the Federal process for registering a foreign motorcycle, already described above as a non-starter. Thus, I could not make one of these baby CBRs street-legal on my own; I will need to buy such a thing already US-registered from a more pragmatic location. A location like some of the counties of the seller's state of Florida, for example.

Choices:
A.) Let this one go, permit the US-market to be deprived of one of these bikes _already_here_, and hope another affordable and nearly-new 11 year-old example happens my way soon? This is not a completely crazy option; fresh opportunities do come along, sometimes.
B.) Stop wanting what I want?
C.) See if I can help this guy get the thing state-titled, and able to be purchased as more than a parts bike? This may cost me bother & money, and then still not work out.

I choose option C, even if my efforts turn out not to be successful. So...

The journey of a thousand miles-
...(or nearly 3000, in this case) begins with the first step. Here is my mandatory initial public post on cbr250.net, so that I may afterward send a private message to one of the forum members.

Believe it or not, one of your members here described his quietly victorious experience with this titling matter, some time ago on the now-defunct hondacbr125r.com forums. Perhaps he can help me to make this happen.

Wish me luck!
-seeking!

Last edited by seeking!; 03-07-2019 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Added about the Honda Grom minibike, whose market is not driven by graduated licensing laws. Doesn't matter; don't want one.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome