CBR250R Lowering Kit - Chinese from eBay - Page 2 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 Old 09-06-2014, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Okay, you've all, quite rightly, put the fear of dog (like god, but I can see them and believe in them) into me...

Aluminium, just doesn't seem like the right material for this item. It also doesn't lower the bike very much unless extended beyond "safe" limits. However, it could be used to shorten the dog bones by about two inches if anyone wants to heighten their bike, lol.

I have opened a complaint on eBay, since the device doesn't do what they claim it does (lower the bike by up to 4 inches). I will have my money back very soon

Instead, I have had the original dog bones lengthened and extra holes added (see attached photo). I'm going to put that back on later today! The two sets of holes in that one are now, one set at standard length and another at +2cm. Here is the joy of living in a country where labour is cheap. The fabrication was done at a custom motorcycle shop, and is of very high quality - total cost $10 US and done while I waited. Price included painting, lol

photo.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 Old 09-06-2014, 10:08 PM

Garage
You've made the right decision!
post #13 of 19 Old 09-07-2014, 10:10 AM

Garage
Looks way better and safer!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 19 Old 09-07-2014, 11:37 AM

Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,315 Posts
Don't 'lower' motor cycles.
Buy one that fits if you are less an 4"8"
Don't fit Chinese parts.

/The end.

Sent from my mobile phone while driving, waiting for a vigilante Motovlogger to star in his own train wreck.
post #15 of 19 Old 09-08-2014, 06:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufitt View Post
Don't 'lower' motor cycles.
Buy one that fits if you are less an 4"8"
Don't fit Chinese parts.

/The end.
Oh, to be so knowledgeable and wise...

New improved dogbone fitted. The 2cm additional length on the dogbone, coupled with raising the forks through the yokes by a similar amount, seems to have had an effect of lowering the bike by about 1" or so. The new seat height (with a very reduced seat foam depth) is 28". This works a treat with my 29" inside leg. I'm still not flat footed, due to the seat width, but I am close enough to be very stable manoeuvring the bike around in car parks and the like. That's me done - perfect!

As expected, it also rides beautifully. Much better "turn in" and flickability. A lot of people talk about the negative impacts of lowering bikes, but I think most are just repeating what they have read and actually have no idea... I see no downside to this at the moment.

The pictures below show the lenthened dogbones in place and the stance of the bike (including how much foam you can take from the seat - and it is still remarkably comfortable; although that could be down to my bum fat!).

Note that the additional hole added to the dogbone is at the original length so that I can easily switch back to standard, if I was to so choose.

10646781_1498544223722630_2093092333894744489_n.jpg

10409681_1498543820389337_8219607163246573952_n.jpg

Last edited by Jimshortz; 09-08-2014 at 06:26 AM.
post #16 of 19 Old 09-09-2014, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

...and here's the dogbones "ruined". I insisted that the eBay seller paid the return postage since what they sold didn't do what it said it could do (lower by up to 4"). After a few emails back and to, and me giving them an ultimatum - pay all, or I simply take up a complaint with eBay, they told me to just smash them up and send them a photo.
I attempted smashing them with a big hammer, to no real effect (very slight bending - they are actually pretty strong!), and in the end just drilled a hole in each. They accepted this as "smashed" and have refunded my Paypal - hooray, I got my money back on the useless junk, but still have a pair of useable fence tensioners, lol.

10639684_1470246459914032_6699153952696398971_n.jpg
post #17 of 19 Old 09-10-2014, 03:51 AM

Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimshortz View Post
Oh, to be so knowledgeable and wise...
I apologise for coming across so direct which may have sounded harsh, but be very careful reducing a bikes clearance and changing its dynamics so much.
Just 5-10mm differences makes major changes.

Sent from my mobile phone while driving, waiting for a vigilante Motovlogger to star in his own train wreck.

Last edited by Aufitt; 09-10-2014 at 03:55 AM.
post #18 of 19 Old 09-11-2014, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimshortz View Post
I see no downside to this at the moment.
careful on your side stand; the bike will sit more upright and will be easy to tip over. You will find a centerstand to be more stable, but harder to put the bike up on because it sit sits lower.

Jerry
post #19 of 19 Old 09-11-2014, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetiger View Post
careful on your side stand; the bike will sit more upright and will be easy to tip over. You will find a centerstand to be more stable, but harder to put the bike up on because it sit sits lower.

Jerry
Yes, you definitely need to modify the side stand. When I fitted the Chinese dogbones and lowered the bike a little I had a little over a cm taken from the side stand to make it reasonable.
When I replaced the Chinese dogbones with my 2cm extended original dogbones this lowered the bike further, making it sit too upright again. This time I had a "v" taken from the side stand to "bend" it outwards, as shortening it further would have made it too short and the bike unstable. This worked really well and the lowered bike now has a decent lean and a nice safe stand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page