Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Grinding Down a Tyga Windscreen?

4K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  tegs 
#1 ·
Since adding a Saddlemen low profile seat, I'm finding my Tyga windscreen pushes air a little too high. It's causing buffeting on my helmet, which is hard on the neck and extremely loud.

I'm going to try grinding down the windscreen to remove the curved upper lip, and see if that fixes the problem.

Does anybody have any tips for me before I give it a go?

Thanks!

#2 ·
Just a thought:
Before cutting down the Tyga, you could think about trying on of these:

ABS Windshield Windscreen Double Bubble for Honda CBR250R 2010 2013 MC41 | eBay

This way, you can keep the Tyga for a try with the next helmet?
Or sale it to someone, who is a bit taller.

After a long search I got a bubble shield last week from a local dealer.
Installed it, it works pretty good for me.
Noise down, almost no wind on the helmet, so a good improvement to the original shield.

#4 ·
Just a thought:
Before cutting down the Tyga, you could think about trying on of these:

ABS Windshield Windscreen Double Bubble for Honda CBR250R 2010 2013 MC41 | eBay
The stock mount can't take a screen wide enough, and it's not the helmet that is the problem. Unless I have my head tilted up, my chin gets into the edge of the wind sucked down from the top edge of the screen. I need to be 2" taller. :p

It wasn't anywhere near as bad until I got the lower seat, so it's definitely the height of the windscreen that I need to adjust.

#3 ·
yup...wear safety glasses, that plastic melts and slings all over, where it lands it sticks if it is hot enough (ask me how I know), cover up everything, use a couple layers of masking/painters tape to protect windshield from grinder slipping, use the masking tape to mark edge of cut. if you are going to use a grinder on edge, be careful that windshield does not start to vibrate bad and crack, I would use a cutoff tool to cut off what you want and use a grinder/or sander to finish up and going finer and finer with grit,....if you finish with fine enough grit sandpaper (1500) you will be able to polish and make edge nice

let me know if you have any more questions

#5 ·
What would you use as a cutoff tool?

Thanks!

#6 · (Edited)
Jigsaw, with a 'fine' saw blade for plastic.
Would be my weapon of choice here.
Having a sec sawblade, just in case
I would even thinking about to do it on the bike.
As finer the sawblade, as less vibrations, as less to smooth out, later.
Ok, needs a bit longer, for the cut. But a lot less afterwork.
And the tyga shield seems to be very stabil, mounted it's maybe easier to cut.
Then covering all of the bike with 'blankets', of course.
Covering all off the shield with tape, include the cutting area.
Both sides
A paper template of the shield or only the top area helps, to stay as close to the original design, as possible.
Makes it easier, to move the shape to the new heightline,
Marking it on the tape
And before you cut where you want it, to cut, testcut it in the area, you wanna cut off.
So you see and get a bit used to it.

;-)
glasses and working gloves are a very good idea

#11 ·
That linked ebay windshield works quite well. I took off my tyga touring and put that one on as part of the repsol conversion. I'll likely put the tyga back on for cold weather, but for warm weather coverage and no-buffeting, the double bubble is nice.

#12 ·
I was not expecting quite this much advice.

Have I mentioned lately that this place is awesome?

Thanks, all!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.