Exhaust heat shield painted. First upgrade for $4 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

2Likes
  • 1 Post By TestBacon
  • 1 Post By TrippplePPP

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 07-04-2016, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Exhaust heat shield painted. First upgrade for $4

Hey guys. Check out my first customization of my bike. I took the heat shield off. Pounded the dents with a rubber hammer, sanded the rough spots and then painted the thing with rustoleum paint. I haven't driven it since doing this so I hope the paint lasts. But for $4 and miminal effort I could see doing this anytime it chips.

Tell me what you think. I love it so far and think it is an improvement.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-04-2016, 03:16 PM

Garage
Looks good. If the heat does mess up the paint consider using high temperature paint next. There is one for cooking grills and one for engines/automotive, either should work and be able to stand up to the heat.
TrippplePPP likes this.

2013 Black CBR250R ABS, forced to haul my 6'1 270lb butt.
1997 Red VLX600CD, now with 100% less fuel pump.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-04-2016, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I actually used the one for grills. It said good to 1200 degrees Fahrenheit. I hope my exhaust doesn't exceed that, haha.

post #4 of 10 Old 07-04-2016, 05:04 PM

The heat shield doesn't really get all that hot, so as long as you used grill paint you shouldn't have any problems.
I've actually done this a couple of times since I've owned my CBR and I also have a black one.
The first time I did it I used a flat dark grey, which looked just fine and lasted a couple of years.
When it came time to do it again I shopped around until I found a black "satin" (semi-gloss) grill paint, which was closer to the color and finish of the tank and fairings.
I have to say the black satin looked a lot better and was a big improvement over the flat finish I used the first time.
All moot now since I just added a Delkevic carbon fiber slip-on last week and it looks 100% better than anything I ever did to the stock muffler (and allowed me to shed almost 15 pounds off the bike - those stock mufflers are as heavy as a freakin' anchor...lol.)

Now that you've dipped your toes in modding your bike, I think a fender eliminator to replace that ugly stock rear fender is in order.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-04-2016, 06:32 PM

Nice. I first purchased a black replacement shield (2013 version) from the Honda dealer. It was around $30. After I dropped it a couple of times (standing still, not moving!) I started painting it. Used the same stuff you used. Rustoleum grill paint. A good sanding job and a couple of coats has lasted for over a year so far. I may try that black satin the next time like TrueFaith. To me, it looks a lot better than the original silver and saves the hassles and expense of changing out the exhaust.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-04-2016, 09:12 PM

Garage
Definitely doing this now. Looks great
post #7 of 10 Old 07-04-2016, 09:57 PM

Just be careful not to lose any of the 3 small rubber anti-vibration tabs on the muffler when you remove the heat shield.
Sometimes they stay with the shield part and can drop off and get lost.
(Part #2 in the diagram.)

post #8 of 10 Old 09-14-2017, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Thought I'd update my old thread.

The black rustoleum grill paint still looks great on my bike and hasn't shown and chips or problems. I ride my bike all the time and it still looks good.

I may black out a few more parts on the bike now that I gained some confidence with this paint.
Michael Driscoll likes this.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-26-2018, 05:04 PM

I'm thinking of painting mine also, and had a few quick questions. First I need to sand out a few scratches due to the bike tipping over - what's the best grit to use for that? Second - I have the Repsol edition and am thinking of painting it orange to go with the black exhaust. Has anyone tried that? If so, how does it look? I figure if it looks garish I can always repaint it black. Any color match recommnedations for orange? I know Color-Rite has a Repsol Orange but it seems ridiculously expensive.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-28-2018, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

I wanted to update this post.

The heat shield still looks great. The thing hasn't chipped at all and the color still looks great. I'm very glad I painted the heat shield. I plan to paint the rear-sets once I get my all black metal foot pegs in the mail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page