Pull Behind Trailer for CBR250R (maybe?) - Page 2 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 Old 09-24-2016, 08:10 PM

This particular style of hitch, clamping on at the axle, ADDS TO the unsprung weight of the rear wheel assembly.

You would do well to get an understanding of the physics involved. Your life could depend on it.
https://www.google.com/search?q=unsu...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Just as a one-year motorcyclist could not just jump on a sidecar rig and do well, the added tongue weight will make your bike handle strangely at first.

It seems most of these single track trailers evolved from bicycle trailers, and mostly by the adventure bike crowd.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(no affilliation)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 09-24-2016, 10:48 PM

Cool trailer. This is my next DIY project this winter.
Jiero likes this.

post #13 of 17 Old 09-25-2016, 02:19 AM

This may be a subjective issue, not readily decidable by analysis or advice.
I have talked to two bikers who pulled one-wheeled trailers a considerable distance.
One said it was simple, and he generally felt no evidence of the trailer's presence.
Another hated it; she parked the trailer not far from her origin, and retrieved it
on the way home. Each of these was riding a machine bigger than our 250s.

I am building a simple two-wheeled trailer to pull behind my CBR-125 or my CBR-250,
and I expect to have no trouble with either, and not to expect much decrease in top speed,
even with the little bike. I will report here; please be patient, because I have lots to do.

Keith

(kfsrq means my initials are KF, and my home is SRQ, which is Sarasota Florida.)
don'tpanic and Jiero like this.

post #14 of 17 Old 09-25-2016, 01:18 PM

Garage
The concern with trailers is related to the added mass reducing your braking capability and the positioning of that mass with respect to the rear attachment point (trailer ball) when you have to stop in a hurry. The trailer can drive the rear end sideways if it has a significant load and is not inline with the bikes front and rear wheels.

The two wheel trailer is more likely to cause a problem than the single wheeled mule that we've been looking at.

John: '09CRF230L (Li'l Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Propelled by Penguin Power
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster
1st bike: a gently used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper

Last edited by jsonder; 09-25-2016 at 01:20 PM. Reason: 1 vs 2 wheels
post #15 of 17 Old 12-21-2017, 09:47 PM

Thanks for the video!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiero View Post
... Here is the video

https://youtu.be/2VRjevAXxU4
I am a bit alarmed by the brief "fishtail" motion the trailer makes at about 5:16.
If it does that at city speeds, imagine how severe the oscillation could be at 100 KPH.

I am inclined to use more wheels, perhaps four, maybe even six. If I go that way,
the trailer will carry very nearly all the combined weight of cargo and carrier.
I doubt the trailer will slow me significantly.

(I repeat, do not look for me to do this soon. I am busy, and I am also 75 years old.)
Keith
post #16 of 17 Old 12-22-2017, 04:46 AM

Garage
I'm not sure why so many of you think a CBR250R can't handle a trailer, the one pictured looks quite small and lightweight. Our bikes are built with a pillion seat which would suggest that Honda expect the bike to be ridden with a combined rider and pillion load of the order of 200kg. The exact maximum permitted load is in the owner's manual but I don't have that to hand. If the OP is riding solo then towing a trailer and payload with a combined weight of 100kg should be well within the bike's capabilities.
post #17 of 17 Old 03-27-2018, 09:33 PM

i pull one of those bicycle trailer that are covered for kids to ride in with a 250r..we haul our dog around...BUT...only in Key West where we do not go any faster than 15mph around town.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page