Pull Behind Trailer for CBR250R (maybe?) - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 09-23-2016, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Pull Behind Trailer for CBR250R (maybe?)

I have been following a facebook page called Moto Mule since last year, watching this guy start this thing. But since its a one man show--my communication with him is very very slow. Not that I'm annoyed by it, I'm just trying to figure out if this is something I could get. His initial response was that he needs measurements and if the CBR250R has a hallow rear axle. So far I've noticed his hitch kit lists are mostly adventure/dual sport motorcycles. I would love a cargo trailer that would extend my carrying beyond my saddle/tail bag luggage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-23-2016, 08:35 PM

Garage
I honestly wouldn't recommend it on a 250R/A. Though that would depend on the weight of the trailer with the gear and weather or not you changed the gearing on the bike for more acceleration, you'd probably kill the top speed down to 80 or so. I mean it can be done don't get me wrong but its not something I'd personally do with a 250R/A. Now if we're talking something like a 650-700+ then I'd say go for it. Our little CeeBee's don't have what I would consider the torque to pull such an endeavor.

I'm sure someone else with more expertise will chime in but my personal opinion (TLDR): I wouldn't do it/to much money required.
don'tpanic likes this.

Current rides:
2012 CBR250R ABS
2002 WRX

Awaiting registration:
2001 CBR600 F4i
post #3 of 17 Old 09-23-2016, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiero View Post
I have been following a facebook page called Moto Mule since last year, watching this guy start this thing. But since its a one man show--my communication with him is very very slow. Not that I'm annoyed by it, I'm just trying to figure out if this is something I could get. His initial response was that he needs measurements and if the CBR250R has a hallow rear axle. So far I've noticed his hitch kit lists are mostly adventure/dual sport motorcycles. I would love a cargo trailer that would extend my carrying beyond my saddle/tail bag luggage.
The CBR250R has a solid rear axle, not hollow.

I definitely would not try to pull a cargo trailer with a CBR250R.
don'tpanic likes this.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
The Following User Says Thank You to MotoMike For This Useful Post:
jsonder (09-23-2016)

post #4 of 17 Old 09-24-2016, 04:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polk View Post
I honestly wouldn't recommend it on a 250R/A. Though that would depend on the weight of the trailer with the gear and weather or not you changed the gearing on the bike for more acceleration, you'd probably kill the top speed down to 80 or so. I mean it can be done don't get me wrong but its not something I'd personally do with a 250R/A. Now if we're talking something like a 650-700+ then I'd say go for it. Our little CeeBee's don't have what I would consider the torque to pull such an endeavor.

I'm sure someone else with more expertise will chime in but my personal opinion (TLDR): I wouldn't do it/to much money required.
That's odd...because he recorded himself pulling this trailer with a Yamaha 250R. The video shows him just fine in local streets. I should have noted this isn't a heavy/large carrying cargo trailer. Of course, you are right that weight is important and it will lower speed.
post #5 of 17 Old 09-24-2016, 11:06 AM

Garage
Quote:
That's odd...because he recorded himself pulling this trailer with a Yamaha 250R. The video shows him just fine in local streets. I should have noted this isn't a heavy/large carrying cargo trailer. Of course, you are right that weight is important and it will lower speed.
You didn't link a video, so I have no idea what you're referring to here. :/

Current rides:
2012 CBR250R ABS
2002 WRX

Awaiting registration:
2001 CBR600 F4i
post #6 of 17 Old 09-24-2016, 11:14 AM

Local streets, maybe. Just forget ANY kind of emergency braking or maneuvers.

On the highway (not even interstate) you will have to behave more like a 16' U-Haul, with low gearing and a governor.

I would not wish that on anyone.
I would seriously consider a larger bike for trailer towing. Back in the Eighties, when my 650 BMW was new, there were a lot of trailers on the scene. I looked at them with casual interest, but I knew I would need a 1000cc airhead if I were to be serious.

These days, with modern engine technology, you could get by with less. You are looking for a engine that favors torque over horsepower.

If you are new to motorcycling, there is a high probability that this would end in disaster.
You probably won't be able to find reasonable insurance, at best.

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(no affilliation)
post #7 of 17 Old 09-24-2016, 11:29 AM

That is some SERIOUS hardware! MOTO-MULE ? Get Out There, Stay Out There!

You DO NOT want to ride around L.A. with that behind you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg moto mule2.jpg (93.8 KB, 32 views)

(no affilliation)
post #8 of 17 Old 09-24-2016, 11:51 AM

Here is a good page about bike trailers. http://pbmotorcycletrailer.com/sport...ycle-trailers/

For the CBR250R, I would want the smallest, shortest trailer that I could find, with two wheels. (smaller than the one pictured above)

I really don't think it would be a good idea to tow a single-track trailer in an urban setting. Just asking for trouble. You might even get to know the local police.

(no affilliation)
post #9 of 17 Old 09-24-2016, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polk View Post
You didn't link a video, so I have no idea what you're referring to here. :/
Sorry. Here is the video

https://youtu.be/2VRjevAXxU4
post #10 of 17 Old 09-24-2016, 07:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Sorry. Here is the video

https://youtu.be/2VRjevAXxU4
That's a dual sport 250, I think they have more torque than our 250R's they also have gearing for quicker acceleration and they don't rev nearly as high. There power is down low in the rev range as well where as we don't make power until roughly 6k rpm and our max power iirc is made at around 10.5k with torque produced somewhere between there. While the trailer may be small enough as moto mike said, solid rear axle, not hollow. Take that as you will though.

Hope that helps.

Current rides:
2012 CBR250R ABS
2002 WRX

Awaiting registration:
2001 CBR600 F4i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page