Pictures Of Lowered Bikes - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Keith

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 12-10-2016, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Pictures Of Lowered Bikes

Just wondering if anyone has any before and after pictures of their lowered bike? I personally think the front of the CBR205R has too big of a gap between the front fairing and the front fender and would like to see the difference once lowered.

Thanks

God made some girls perfect. The rest he put in cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-11-2016, 04:54 AM

I haven't done it myself but from what I read lowering your bike will change it's handling and not for the better so be careful with that.

My computer is fighting Aids and Cancer in it's idle time, and yours?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-11-2016, 05:02 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
I haven't done it myself but from what I read lowering your bike will change it's handling and not for the better so be careful with that.
Yeah so I've heard. I'm more just curious to see if it makes the front end look a little more appealing at the moment.

Thanks for your concern though

post #4 of 9 Old 12-11-2016, 08:13 AM

Are you planning on modifying the front fork for less travel?
Way stiffer springs should do it.
Sounds like a show bike to me. I wouldn't feel safe in the real world on such a thing.
Drag bike: 250cc class?

(no affilliation)
post #5 of 9 Old 12-11-2016, 09:27 AM

A lowered bike does look meaner, but to do it right is pretty involved.

For street riding it's not usually a good idea anyway, and can cause all sorts of odd handling problems if not done properly.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-12-2016, 02:17 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by don'tpanic View Post
Are you planning on modifying the front fork for less travel?
Way stiffer springs should do it.
Sounds like a show bike to me. I wouldn't feel safe in the real world on such a thing.
Drag bike: 250cc class?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv357 View Post
A lowered bike does look meaner, but to do it right is pretty involved.

For street riding it's not usually a good idea anyway, and can cause all sorts of odd handling problems if not done properly.
I have no intentions of modifying anything right now, I more just wanted to see if lowering it would make that front gap less noticeable. What I'm curious to know now is, why are the front forks adjustable if it's so unsafe to do so? I mean 'IF' I were to lower it, I definitely wouldn't do it myself that's for sure.

post #7 of 9 Old 12-12-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProbablyRaging View Post
I have no intentions of modifying anything right now, I more just wanted to see if lowering it would make that front gap less noticeable. What I'm curious to know now is, why are the front forks adjustable if it's so unsafe to do so? I mean 'IF' I were to lower it, I definitely wouldn't do it myself that's for sure.
Most forks are "adjustable" a few millimeters to slightly alter the geometry and handling. Lowering the front (raising the tubes in the clamps), but not the rear, makes the cycle more responsive and quicker to turn-in but less stable as speeds increase. Lowering the rear does the opposite.

Significant changes present problems and can mess with proper steering geometry. You need to drop both ends evenly, and that's not always a simple task and doesn't always guarantee that handling won't be affected.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-12-2016, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv357 View Post
Most forks are "adjustable" a few millimeters to slightly alter the geometry and handling. Lowering the front (raising the tubes in the clamps), but not the rear, makes the cycle more responsive and quicker to turn-in but less stable as speeds increase. Lowering the rear does the opposite.

Significant changes present problems and can mess with proper steering geometry. You need to drop both ends evenly, and that's not always a simple task and doesn't always guarantee that handling won't be affected.
Oh I see. So does this apply to all bikes? I've seen posts on other forums of people who buy a new bike and the first thing they do is lower it a couple inches because they are shorter and like to comfortably be able to flat foot the bike and this is something they've done to most of the bikes they've owned. From memory these were liter bikes though.

So are bigger more exspensive bikes with 'better' quality parts affected just the same as our 250 and is the loss of handling really that dire? I was told putting 20" wheels on my sedan would affect the handling and while it felt different to drive I could still take that out the road and do 110km/h in turns not a problem. Obviously a bikes steering setup is completely different though lol.

post #9 of 9 Old 12-13-2016, 06:20 AM

Garage
Lowering to accommodate a shorter rider is likely to be done by lowering the suspension at both ends of the bike or by modifying the seat.
When lowering the front suspension it would be essential to check that the front mudguard or wheel does not foul any part of the bike on full travel.
Bikes such as our CBRs, aimed at newer riders are built with stability as a higher priority than 'sporty' handling so there would be quite a margin for sharpening the steering before getting into 'dangerous' territory.
If you look at the spec sheets for other bikes on the market you'll find quite a range of steering rake and trail figures. There's no absolute 'right' value and manufacturers will spec their bikes to best suit the expected use and rider profile of each model.
ProbablyRaging likes this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keith For This Useful Post:
jsonder (12-13-2016), ProbablyRaging (12-15-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page