Source for Blue LED Projector Bulbs for Running Lights - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

5Likes
  • 2 Post By TrueFaith
  • 1 Post By don'tpanic
  • 1 Post By TrueFaith
  • 1 Post By don'tpanic

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 01-29-2017, 02:26 AM Thread Starter

A Little Bit About The Legality of Colored Lights On Your Bike

I am not a big fan of replacing the turn signal bulbs with LED - too much trouble for no practical gain.

Those of you who know me know that I am pragmatic when it comes to accessories.

This is one I was just thinking about. These are a direct replacement for the incandescent type 194 bulb that is on either side of the headlight.

They are blue, and noticeably brighter than the stock bulbs.

For $7 USD they might save your life, but it is guaranteed that you will get comments.
I thought that they were especially nice accents on the 2012 Tri-color.

Unfortunately it is hard to photograph them.

2X T10 194 W5W 921 Wedge 4-SMD Cree Len Projector LED Marker Light BULB-ice Blue | eBay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(no affilliation)

Last edited by don'tpanic; 01-30-2017 at 04:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-29-2017, 12:23 PM

First thing you should do is check your local ordinances.
Many municipalities prohibit the use of bulb colors on personal vehicles that are used on police, fire and EMT vehicles.
In my state colored lights are a no no.
"The Registrar may order the removal of any colored light, including amber, at any time he deems
necessary, upon written notice to the registrant, with a copy to the chief of police where said motor
vehicle is principally garaged. Any registrant so notified, who fails to remove such colored lights, and
who operates or permits the operation of such lights on the public way, shall be in violation of the
Registrar's rules and regulations as provided in M.G.L. c. 90, 20."
don'tpanic and Schroeder like this.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-29-2017, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Indiana is so far to the Right, they won't allow any infringement of personal rights (no helmet law, no vehicle inspections...), and I am not very good at looking up ordinances (on a Sunday), but no one bothered me, and I have seen them on a local Gold Wing.
Just don't want to marry your partner if you are gay, need an abortion because you were raped, or want to replace your government sanctioned, highly addictive opium-based pain management with a cannabinoid-based pain reliever.

It is tough living Green in a Red State. (I used to be "Blue" until the Dems shafted Bernie).
fieldassembly likes this.

(no affilliation)

post #4 of 9 Old 01-29-2017, 07:01 PM

From what I see online of Indiana vehicle law, blue lights are reserved for volunteer fire vehicles. Violation will result in a $80 citation.
Running lights are restricted to white to amber.
You can take your chances, but it was pretty easy to find posts from various people who received tickets for running blue lights.
And Indiana cops apparently REALLY HATE neons.

But cheer up. At least you got rid of Pence without having to go to the trouble of voting him out of office.
don'tpanic likes this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrueFaith For This Useful Post:
don'tpanic (01-30-2017)
post #5 of 9 Old 01-30-2017, 04:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
From what I see online of Indiana vehicle law, blue lights are reserved for volunteer fire vehicles. Violation will result in a $80 citation.
Running lights are restricted to white to amber.
You can take your chances, but it was pretty easy to find posts from various people who received tickets for running blue lights.
And Indiana cops apparently REALLY HATE neons.

But cheer up. At least you got rid of Pence without having to go to the trouble of voting him out of office.
Thanks for making me look it up!

"(5) A blue light may not be a part of the regular head lamps displayed on the vehicles."
http://www.in.gov/dhs/files/driving_laws.pdf

Referring to the volunteer firefighters' vehicles.

So you are absolutely right -

Anyway, putting Pence in the White House wasn't quite what we had in mind.
As soon as Trump announced his running mate, I thought "We have a winner!". :'(
And it wasn't a goldfish in a plastic bag.
TrueFaith likes this.

(no affilliation)
post #6 of 9 Old 02-01-2017, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
First thing you should do is check your local ordinances.
Many municipalities prohibit the use of bulb colors on personal vehicles that are used on police, fire and EMT vehicles.
In my state colored lights are a no no.
"The Registrar may order the removal of any colored light, including amber, at any time he deems
necessary, upon written notice to the registrant, with a copy to the chief of police where said motor
vehicle is principally garaged. Any registrant so notified, who fails to remove such colored lights, and
who operates or permits the operation of such lights on the public way, shall be in violation of the
Registrar's rules and regulations as provided in M.G.L. c. 90, 20."
That's pretty weird that they would say that, as front turn signals are always amber in color. Every vehicle I own has amber turn signals up front. If I'm not mistaken, US DOT regulations stipulate amber for front turn signals on all motor vehicles. As far as I know, rear turn signals can be amber or red.

I agree though that blue colored turn signals could/will get the operator of the vehicle cited for an improper equipment violation in virtually any state.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
post #7 of 9 Old 02-01-2017, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

I never proposed using them in the turn signals, only the running lights on either side of the headlight.

If the blues are not flashing, I don't think most LEOs will have a problem with them.

But I have not read Street Prowler forums, to find out what the word on the street is.

(no affilliation)
post #8 of 9 Old 02-03-2017, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

I saw a car on my way home from work last night. It has some kind of aftermarket headlights installed. Whatever the temperature on them, they sure looked blue.

(no affilliation)
post #9 of 9 Old 02-04-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
That's pretty weird that they would say that, as front turn signals are always amber in color. Every vehicle I own has amber turn signals up front. If I'm not mistaken, US DOT regulations stipulate amber for front turn signals on all motor vehicles. As far as I know, rear turn signals can be amber or red.

I agree though that blue colored turn signals could/will get the operator of the vehicle cited for an improper equipment violation in virtually any state.
Massachusetts is a state that has always gone a little overboard on vehicle regulations. They probably just want to reserve the right to make you remove even legal equipment if they so choose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don'tpanic View Post
I never proposed using them in the turn signals, only the running lights on either side of the headlight.

If the blues are not flashing, I don't think most LEOs will have a problem with them.

But I have not read Street Prowler forums, to find out what the word on the street is.
Flashing or not, I think you'll find plenty of evidence online that police do not like ordinary citizens running blue lights on a private vehicle one bit and will go out of their way to let you know it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don'tpanic View Post
I saw a car on my way home from work last night. It has some kind of aftermarket headlights installed. Whatever the temperature on them, they sure looked blue.
Probably HID (high intensity discharge) headlights which have a blue tint. I'm seeing more of them on the road all the time. A lot of home mechanics don't adjust them properly on installation and they can be really blinding to oncoming traffic. I've seen a couple of instances in my local newspaper where operators have been stopped by police and ordered to correctly aim them or risk a citation. I live right near a Massachusetts State Police barracks AND the Massachusetts State Police Academy and you can bet we really have to watch our asses around here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page