My Wife's "New" 2011 CBR250R - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

5Likes
  • 1 Post By jkv357
  • 4 Post By MotoMike

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 05-08-2019, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

My Wife's "New" 2011 CBR250R

I made a few modifications to my wife's "new," and previously unmolested, 2011 CBR250R over the winter.

To be fair, she only needed a lower seat height to get started riding; I figured I may as well make a few other changes along the way. I'm hoping that I can return the bike to stock height (i.e., preserve the stock geometry) once she gets used to riding it, and is more comfortable with riding in general. For the time being, she is right on the borderline from a height perspective and I feel like the lower seat height might reduce the likelihood of her dropping the bike if/when she stalls it. At some point I will probably replace the rear shock with an appropriately sprung Ohlins unit and replace the fork internals with Ohlins. I also have a set of Satos rearsets I need to get around to installing on the bike.

I included a list of modifications I've made to the bike below, including routine/preventative maintenance. If anyone is interested, I am happy to discuss any of the modifications in more detail. As a side note, some of these were really good mods, and others may have been me just modding for the sake of modding. I'll add to this list later, as I'm sure I've forgotten something.

Lowering/Suspension
Had Astech modify seat (lowered/shaved)
Vortex lowering links
Raised front forks in the triple trees
Shortened sidestand
Replaced spacers in front forks (for appropriate sag)
Replaced fork oil with Motul 10w-Med Expert Fork Oil (Syn-Blend)
Maintenance
Replaced engine oil with Motul 300V 4T Competition Synthetic Motor Oil 10W-40
Replaced oil filter
Replaced coolant
Brakes/Controls
ASV F3 shorty levers
ProGrip 717 GP Gel Grips
OHA Stainless Braided Front & Rear Brake Lines
Speed Bleeders (SB7100S M7 x 1.0)
Replaced brake fluid
Lighting/Cosmetics
KT Angel Eye HID Projector Headlight Assembly
LED city lights (921-W19-T: White)
DMP Fender Eliminator
MotoDynamic LED Sequential Taillight
TST Flushmount Turn Signals
Chinabay rearview mirrors with integrated front/rear LEDs
TST Electronic Flasher Relay
Victory LED License Plate Lights
Performance/Sound
Two Bros. M2 Full Exhaust
Jett Tuning Power Commander PCV
BMC Race Air Filter
Removed Airbox Snorkel
Luggage/Protection
Hepco and Becker Rear Rack
Hepco and Becker rear bag
Hepco and Becker Side Racks
Hepco and Becker softbags (not pictured)
Crazy Iron Crash bars
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190508_164017.jpg (298.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20190508_164149.jpg (539.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 20190508_163908.jpg (327.8 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by McycleRider; 05-08-2019 at 06:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-08-2019, 09:16 PM

What about tires?
post #3 of 10 Old 05-09-2019, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv357 View Post
What about tires?
Nice question/observation!

I purchased the bike with a Kenda Cruiser on the rear and an IRC Road Winner RX-01 on the front. Both tires have plenty of life left in them and, for now, all my wife is doing with the bike is riding around an elementary school parking lot.

With that said, I'm sure I will replace these tires at some point. Ultimately, I'd like to mount a set of dual-compound tires - something like the Michelin Power RS or Pirelli Diablo Rosso III.

post #4 of 10 Old 05-09-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McycleRider View Post
Nice question/observation!

I purchased the bike with a Kenda Cruiser on the rear and an IRC Road Winner RX-01 on the front. Both tires have plenty of life left in them and, for now, all my wife is doing with the bike is riding around an elementary school parking lot.

With that said, I'm sure I will replace these tires at some point. Ultimately, I'd like to mount a set of dual-compound tires - something like the Michelin Power RS or Pirelli Diablo Rosso III.
How old are the tires?

With all the stuff you have done, tires would have been the first for thing me. Mixed tires that are questionable just isn't worth it.

I have Michelin Pilot Power RSs on one of my bikes, and I can tell you that unless they are good and hot they will move around. I'm going to a sport touring tire next time, like the Michelin Road 5 or Dunlop Roadsmart IIIs. They don't require the same amount of heat, which is a big plus if you live and ride in an area that isn't always warm or dry. Sport touring tires have improved significantly over the years, and sport tires have become more focused. They are better on the track now, but maybe not as good as a street tire.

Do your wife a solid - get some good tires on there.
TrueFaith likes this.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-09-2019, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
How old are the tires?

With all the stuff you have done, tires would have been the first for thing me. Mixed tires that are questionable just isn't worth it.

I have Michelin Pilot Power RSs on one of my bikes, and I can tell you that unless they are good and hot they will move around. I'm going to a sport touring tire next time, like the Michelin Road 5 or Dunlop Roadsmart IIIs. They don't require the same amount of heat, which is a big plus if you live and ride in an area that isn't always warm or dry. Sport touring tires have improved significantly over the years, and sport tires have become more focused. They are better on the track now, but maybe not as good as a street tire.

Do your wife a solid - get some good tires on there.
I agree on the importance of good tires.

The tires that are on it now wouldn't have been my first choice. I should confirm this myself, but based on the seller's disclosure, both tires should be less than a year old; the specific tires have a decent reputation as quality low displacement sport-touring tires. As a side note, I have never had any sort of problem from mixing brands/models of front and rear tires; I've never mounted drastically different tires though. I'll still probably replace her tires, and will likely also replace her chain and sprockets.

I also have a set of Michelin Pilot Power RSs on one of my bikes. It's a much higher displacement/hp bike, and while the tires have been ok for me, they also wouldn't have been my first choice. My wife and I were out of town on a trip, and I decided to replace the tires to be on the safe side. Long story short, we got a good deal on a set of Pilot Power RSs and I still have a set of Dunlop Q3+'s waiting to go on the bike as soon as I'm done with the Michelins. Once I'm on to the next set after the Q3+'s, and even though I have another "bad weather" bike, my plan is to also move towards the Michelin Road 5. I'm pretty sure Michelin Road 5s and Dunlop Roadsmart IIIs aren't available in appropriate sizes for the CBR250R though.

After looking at the tire options for the CBR250R, I realized that the Pilot Power RS's and the Pirelli Diablo Rosso IIIs are about as "good" as it gets for the little CBR250R. It looks like tires like the Kenda Cruisers and IRC Road Winners are the everyday/real-world, riding in the cold rain, type of tires for the CBR250R.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-09-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
I agree on the importance of good tires.

(SNIP)

After looking at the tire options for the CBR250R, I realized that the Pilot Power RS's and the Pirelli Diablo Rosso IIIs are about as "good" as it gets for the little CBR250R. It looks like tires like the Kenda Cruisers and IRC Road Winners are the everyday/real-world, riding in the cold rain, type of tires for the CBR250R.
Hmmm...no higher-end sport touring tires out there? That makes it a tough choice, but I'd have to go with the sport rubber most likely. What sizes does the CBR run?

I'm not a big fan of Pirelli, Kenda, or IRC personally. Especially Pirelli, as I've had numerous sets of Pirelli tires that have aged and cracked way before they should have. Won't buy them anymore. Michelin has been the best overall, but we have a set of Dunlop Q3s on one of our bikes and they have been good. The Q3s are said to warm up faster than any other sport tire.

Sliders?

Last edited by jkv357; 05-09-2019 at 01:00 PM.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-09-2019, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Sliders?
Like frame sliders? That's what the crash bars are for. As I have been in past orders, I was impressed by Crazy Iron's work on the crash bars. Removing the side fairings with the bars on is a little annoying, given that now I have to remove a couple of extra screws. In my experience, the multiple connection points of crash bars or race rails do a much better job of protecting the bike than typical frame sliders (e.g., extending from a single-connection point).
post #8 of 10 Old 05-09-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Like frame sliders? That's what the crash bars are for. As I have been in past orders, I was impressed by Crazy Iron's work on the crash bars. Removing the side fairings with the bars on is a little annoying, given that now I have to remove a couple of extra screws. In my experience, the multiple connection points of crash bars or race rails do a much better job of protecting the bike than typical frame sliders (e.g., extending from a single-connection point).
Ahh...yes...I missed those in your list I guess.

That should cover it.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-09-2019, 10:50 PM

Great post and great work. I like it. Your wife's bike looks worlds different than my bike but I really like your's too.

Thanks for all the links to the items you used.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrippplePPP For This Useful Post:
McycleRider (05-10-2019)
post #10 of 10 Old 05-11-2019, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,643 Times in 1,938 Posts
Michelin Pilot Street Radials are a good choice for everyday riding on the CBR250R/300R.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page