Project Bike: I think I got ripped off - Page 3 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 53 Old 07-19-2015, 06:35 AM

Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inst View Post
Down here, highway speeds max out around 80 mph / 128 km/h. Not necessarily legal speeds, but that's what you need to keep up with traffic, and if you need to accelerate to get out of the way or avoid a collision, well, tough luck. That's why I'm looking to upgrade to a 700cc once I get the hang of the CBR250 and money becomes less short.

Forget the 250 Project, forget the 700cc,

You need a Thou at least.

Sent from my mobile phone while driving, waiting for a vigilante Motovlogger to star in his own train wreck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 53 Old 07-19-2015, 09:36 AM

Yes, well the CBR happily cruises at 80.... and in what world do you need gobs acceleration on tap at that speed use an escape route

I'm thinking start out with a ZX14 straight away. Ludicrous horsepower.

-Eric
Current stable: '72 GT750, '74 GT750x2, '75 GT750, '82 MB-5, '85 CMX250CD, '12 CBR250R, '14 Spyder RT-S
post #23 of 53 Old 07-19-2015, 09:46 AM

Methinks this is all a brilliant parody intended to illustrate numerous points, and it is succeeding spectacularly!

post #24 of 53 Old 07-19-2015, 09:58 AM

Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,315 Posts
Eco Rider MeeLee has been banned from every other lams bike forum.

Just sayin..... (and the hypermiler post gave it away in regards to an engines torque calculations, and the '128kph down here')

How's Miami this time of year?

Sent from my mobile phone while driving, waiting for a vigilante Motovlogger to star in his own train wreck.
post #25 of 53 Old 07-19-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stichill View Post
Methinks this is all a brilliant parody intended to illustrate numerous points, and it is succeeding spectacularly!
I still prefer my trolls under bridges.

-Eric
Current stable: '72 GT750, '74 GT750x2, '75 GT750, '82 MB-5, '85 CMX250CD, '12 CBR250R, '14 Spyder RT-S
post #26 of 53 Old 07-19-2015, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Aufitt: TBH, I think you're trolling because if you had read the posting it would clearly indicate that I already have an MSF BRC course taken and passed and that I am getting a CBR250 simply because I am not comfortable with my level of riding skill, especially with larger bikes.

About the speed = safety issues; speed doesn't always equal safety, especially in the hands of an inexperienced driver, but say you're on the interstate and you're squeezed between a truck and a cager tailgating you. There isn't enough distance to be safe, so the correct thing to do is to change lanes or pass the truck, but as a cager, what I'd do would be to make sure the coast is clear, indicate signals, change lanes, then pass in front of the truck to increase visibility and perhaps get enough cars between myself and the truck until I have a safe distance between both myself and the vehicle in front of me and the vehicle behind me. With a CBR250, this is going to be a bit tough due to lack of acceleration at high speeds, especially if you sprocket shift to increase fuel economy at the expense of torque. The other thing you can do is to let the truck et al pass you, but if you're already in the right lane, where are you supposed to go? The lane to your left is moving faster, so you're both going to slow down traffic and pose a collision risk to the vehicle behind you, and while you can run off the road, ummm, good luck getting back on, and it's going to be dangerous riding the shoulder to squeeze in behind the cager.

@shisoshin:

Pillion is supposed to be way more dangerous than actually riding the motorcycle, because in many collisions the pillion will go flying. Supposedly the statistics say that in cases where 70% of riders are expected to die, 100% of pillions will go dead, so except at low speeds and safe roads I wouldn't carry pillion myself, and even then, I'd either pass off my safety gear to equalize the level of risk or get a separate set for the second rider.

About the clutch, it was supposed to be a panic stop because my turn was way too wide, but first, the clutch, according to pro-riders, is critical for low-speed control because you're already at such a low throttle point, but what basically happened was that as my hands reached out to grab the front brake, my hand also pulled the throttle along with the clutch, and I accelerated. If I had a clutch available and could pull it as part of braking, what happened with the throttle would have been irrelevant because the engine would have been disconnected from the wheels, and I would have safely and controllably braked instead of hitting the throttle as well. If I need to ride scooter or DCT, this'll be an issue, but with manuals it shouldn't be that bad.

@isaacm12:

The point of the airbag suit is that when you're sent flying, you will bounce, instead of crunch, which will reduce the level of injury. It's used not only for racing, but also for horseback riding, and in both those cases it's been a significant reducer of injuries (horseback riding, believe it or not, is actually pretty dangerous with a death rate comparable to Ecstasy use). Alpinestars' suit doesn't come with a neck brace, but Dainese' does, so if you get the Alpinestars suit, you will need to get an additional neck brace.

I went over the Hurt report and the types of injuries that kill people on motorcycles, and I'm guessing that if airbag vests are used, you can probably hope for a 10% reduction in fatalities. The main benefit of airbag suits / vests, so it appears, is not the reduction in lethality, but rather the reduction in injury in non-lethal accidents; in many cases, what would result in a 2-3 month stay in the hospital and a possible retirement from riding can be easily commuted to a brief check-up and a 1 week recovery time.
post #27 of 53 Old 07-19-2015, 12:40 PM

Garage
If you passed the MSF BRC than you should have no problem getting on ANY motorcycle afterwards just as long as you take the same steps as you did in the class. Obviously they passed you just because you paid, they didn't care about your skill level. Just a paycheck.

Like I said before I want to slide. Not bounce and roll. Limbs have a tendency to bend in ways they are not meant to bend when you are ragdolling around.
Aufitt and tartan_warrior like this.

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious." -Brendan Gill
post #28 of 53 Old 07-19-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
About the speed = safety issues; speed doesn't always equal safety, especially in the hands of an inexperienced driver, but say you're on the interstate and you're squeezed between a truck and a cager tailgating you.
Please, don't get on a bike. Trying to race away from cars following too closely is a mindset for prospective corpses. I either slow down and let them pass me, or change lanes and drop back. Playing games like zipping ahead to play tag with them is a killer.

-Eric
post #29 of 53 Old 07-19-2015, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

@isaacm12 With regards to BRC; I disagree. I think the program I attended was of sufficient quality, and obviously they cared enough to make me wash out the first time (and for that matter, it was a 2 day course and it was 3 hours before the test that I had my third drop). I think we had a 10-15% drop out rate over two exams; one girl dropped her bike too much and didn't want to come back, another old gentleman began to have problems towards the end of the second day and dropped his bike during the exam. There was also another guy who realized he was too tired from the nightshift to ride, and asked the instructor to allow him to reschedule his second set of lessons.

The instructor took enough care to go over with me what was problematic with my riding (good panic stop, good low-speed manuever, bad turning), as well as recommending that I take a 250 as a trainer instead of moving straight up to the 700cc I wanted. I think this is standard procedure; some people have more talent so that they can jump straight to a 700cc; there was an financial-industry exec who wanted a BMW F800GT out the door, and I'm sure he would have been fine with it if he had been careful (he was in an area that handled risk analysis, so I think he would be fine), but I, on the other hand, would benefit more from going through a 250 with ABS as a trainer, starting with slow speeds and suburban roads, then moving up to major intersections and highways over time.

About sliding, well, if you can slide, slide, (iirc, I read somewhere that sliding is not always the best course of action), but say you get rear-ended and go flying or you hit a pothole you didn't see. As mentioned before, pillions are at higher risk than riders because they tend to go flying in a collision and when that happens there is no way to slide when you're airborne, and no matter how much you want to slide, when you finally hit the ground your choices are not to slide, but between crunching or bouncing.

@Smokerider:

Really? As a cager, I try to be a speed-limit driver, albeit with hypermiling tendencies, so I spend a fair amount of time on the right lane. I notice that oft-times only the right lane is 70 mph, and with a motorcycle, you can reduce your level of invisibility with colors and lights, but you still have ride like you're invisible (the color is just for luck, heh, heh) and if the only open lane is the lane to your left, it is going to be hard to PUSH the vehicles behind you when you can't be confident they can see you so that you can get behind the car that was behind you.

Last edited by Inst; 07-19-2015 at 02:35 PM.
post #30 of 53 Old 07-19-2015, 02:58 PM

Garage
Turning is 90% of motorcycle riding. Along with almost 75% of the brc class. If you can't turn you shouldn't be on a motorcycle period. And the instructors saw that yet they still passed you.
All they cared about was the paycheck.

And how is sliding bad? Provided you ahave the right gear you can slide all day tumble, what happeneds when your arm bends the wrong way?

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious." -Brendan Gill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page