2012 CBR250 for a female rider. - Page 2 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 Old 04-13-2017, 11:07 AM

check for rust in the tank too... I know mine has some after being stored in the previous owners garage for a while...

2012 CBR250R Naked Orange
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 Old 04-13-2017, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

I'm not too worried about the tank. It was stored full of fresh gas before each winter. But I do want to do a fuel service on it to clean out the injector.
post #13 of 26 Old 04-14-2017, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Ordered new battery, chain, and filter set. I put the bike on a trickle charger yesterday afternoon. My plan is to put some penatrating oil on the chain today and let it soak. I'll attempt to start the bike up and take it around the block.

Once the rest of the parts come in i'll tune her up, put on the new chain, and take it to work a few times to make sure it's good for the wife.

P.S. I forgot to tell everyone, I own a '16 Yamaha R3 as well.

post #14 of 26 Old 04-14-2017, 07:56 PM

"tuner her up" - so you will be checking in on the valve clearances. That is a good thing.

With a new-to-you bike, establishing baseline is critical. And then keeping a service log book thereafter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(no affilliation)
post #15 of 26 Old 04-16-2017, 05:43 PM

Thanked 1,465 Times in 802 Posts
Garage
In addition to what others have posted, if you replace the filter, make sure it placed in the right direction. A common issue that has occurred, is blown engines because time wasn't spent ensuring the filter was installed correctly. Congrats on a great first bike for your wife. She will have huge fun with it.
TrueFaith likes this.

"WHAT'S NORMAL ANYWAYS" Forrest Gump

Honda cbr500r current ride
Honda cbr250r (Sumiko
sold)
Honda cbf1000 (sold)
HD Sportster (sold the thing, hated it)
2007 Dyson Vacuum Cleaner (and no, it has not lost suction
)
post #16 of 26 Old 04-17-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by live_to_ride View Post
In addition to what others have posted, if you replace the filter, make sure it placed in the right direction. A common issue that has occurred, is blown engines because time wasn't spent ensuring the filter was installed correctly. Congrats on a great first bike for your wife. She will have huge fun with it.
And for god's sake be careful with the oil filter cover bolts! So many people have snapped one off from over-tightening it's ridiculous. They're extremely brittle and unforgiving! Don't use a torque wench. Just do it by "feel" and don't overdo it or your CBR won't be going anywhere for a while.
post #17 of 26 Old 04-17-2017, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

I already checked the filter, it was still new, so no issues. And it's not hard to install haha. Won't have any issues with the bolts either. I'll make em snug.

I had the oil filter/gaskets ordered online but aparently they are out of stock (amazon) and can't ship em. So i'm stoping at a local dealer today for the LOF parts.

Reminds me I need to do an oil change on my R3 as well.
post #18 of 26 Old 05-02-2017, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

Well, got everything done. Wife and I went for a ride the other day. New chain, fluids, so forth. When we were done she was putting the bike away in our garage and dropped it... LOL. Brake lever bent, that's it. Got a new one on already. Bike is running well, just stupid, stupid loud with it's exhaust.

Only "issue" i'm having is on cold starts when we're letting it idle and warm up, it dies randomly. We're able to just start her right bike up. I'm not sure if these bike just don't like cold starts or what. Maybe the exhaust the PO put on it took away it's backpressure.
post #19 of 26 Old 05-02-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05eclipse05 View Post
Well, got everything done. Wife and I went for a ride the other day. New chain, fluids, so forth. When we were done she was putting the bike away in our garage and dropped it... LOL. Brake lever bent, that's it. Got a new one on already. Bike is running well, just stupid, stupid loud with it's exhaust.

Only "issue" i'm having is on cold starts when we're letting it idle and warm up, it dies randomly. We're able to just start her right bike up. I'm not sure if these bike just don't like cold starts or what. Maybe the exhaust the PO put on it took away it's backpressure.
This happens with these bikes because they're so lean from the factory; even more so when you lean the mixture slightly more with a free flowing exhaust. Mine did it all the time, only on the first start, and always started right back up on the second try. I added a 6" silencer baffle to the exhaust and it cured that problem. $6 from ebay and no problems since.

Tis better to be thought a fool and remain silent, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
post #20 of 26 Old 05-02-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrlocal View Post
This happens with these bikes because they're so lean from the factory; even more so when you lean the mixture slightly more with a free flowing exhaust.
Mine has never done that, not even once.
I think it's more a problem with after market exhausts rather than the bike itself.
live_to_ride and jsonder like this.

My computer is fighting Aids and Cancer in it's idle time, and yours?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page