Hi from a brand new cyclist - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 08-15-2017, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Location: Saint Charles, IL. A really nice little far-west Chicago suburb in northeast Illinois.
Garage
Thumbs up Hi from a brand new cyclist

Hi everybody- My name's Paul, and I live in St. Charles, IL which is about 35 miles due west of Chicago. I'm in my 40's and brand new to the motorcycle world. I work as a CAD drafter using Solidworks to layout and design structural components of hydraulic lifts and that kind of stuff. I just purchased an '11 CBR250R, the red model with black trim, which I'm going to pick up tonight. I'm very excited to get going. I did quite a bit of reading before deciding that this bike would be a good jumping in point for me, and I'm very happy with the choice I made. The first modification I plan to do is to do something about the funky looking stock exhaust - to me it's the only feature, visually, that lets the bike down at all. So, that's me - I'll be looking over the threads here for opinions on aftermarket exhaust choices when I really should be working, but hey - no one needs to know! Nice to meet you all, I hope everyone has a great week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my new friend.jpg (210.8 KB, 15 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-15-2017, 12:57 PM

Garage
Spend your first week riding it stock, and learn what a quiet motorcycle is like.
Stichill likes this.

John: '09CRF230L (Li'l Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Propelled by Penguin Power
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster
1st bike: a gently used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper
post #3 of 14 Old 08-15-2017, 01:58 PM

Welcome Paul, these bikes are good with original exhaust and perform as well on original.

post #4 of 14 Old 08-15-2017, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Location: Saint Charles, IL. A really nice little far-west Chicago suburb in northeast Illinois.
Garage
It'll be stock for at least the rest of this riding season. I'm mainly changing it out because I don't care too much for the look of the stock exhaust, any performance gains will be a nice plus, but that's not my sole intent for switching.

-dreaming of beautiful weather and empty roads....
post #5 of 14 Old 08-15-2017, 03:10 PM

Hey, congrats on starting a new hobby/sports. I think you made a wise choice in picking a CBR250R, a used one at that.

It's your bike now, so feel free to do mods to match the bike to your tastes. I kept my exhaust stock for about 5 years, and I was happy with it. I've also recently replaced my stock exhaust with a slip-on, and I'm pretty happy with the new exhaust as well.

Aftermarket slip-ons are usually notorious with making the exhaust sound obnoxiously loud, but there are also quiet ones out there as well. I think Hindle is like that. The one I purchased by Arrow is also pretty slick looking and almost as quiet as the stock ones, though it changes the exhaust note to somewhat deeper sound.

Modding a bike is part of the fun of bike ownership, in my opinion, so I certainly hope you enjoy that aspect as well.
shisoshin likes this.
post #6 of 14 Old 08-15-2017, 03:26 PM

Here is what the Arrow looks like on my bike. Looks pretty slick, right?

Also, you'll notice in the picture the following mods in addition to the Arrow exhaust:
-pillion peg delete
-Yoshimura exhaust hanger
-Yoshimura fender eliminator
-MGP rearsets

I've made quite a few other mods to the bike, but can't be seen in the picture here.

Enjoy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0248.jpg (200.5 KB, 23 views)
post #7 of 14 Old 08-15-2017, 04:39 PM

Hi Big F1 Fan and welcome to the asylum.
[Incoming Preaching Alert!!!]
If you haven't already you should consider taking the MSF classes to get you started. You should know what you're doing before hitting the roads. Another thing is wearing gear. Always wear it, accidents happen so often in traffic and road rash certainly isn't nice to have.
Another great way for me to learn about what to do and not to do was to watch motorcycle crash compilations on Youtube. Sounds counter productive at first but that really opened my eyes for every day problems in riding and how to avoid them (target fixation, the left turning car, locking up the front tire if your bike doesn't have ABS and first and foremost: excessive speed).
It's best to learn from other people's mistakes and not having to make them yourself.
[/Preaching Alert]

BTW who is your favorite F1 driver / Team?
I watched F1 for 20 years starting in 1994 but lost interest when the turbo engines came around (used to be a Schumacher fan even though he could be quite the a$$ on the track at times). I also can't really warm up to any of the current top drivers (there is this child in the Ferrari and that self absorbed peacock in the Mercedes...I don't like either much).

My computer is fighting Aids and Cancer in it's idle time, and yours?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 Old 08-15-2017, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hi Schroeder-
Yes, I did take the beginner MSF course here offered by Wheaton College. In Illinois, if you take and pass the (free!!) MSF course that includes about 9 hours of classroom instruction and about 12 hours of riding lessons, the DMV riding and written tests are waived. So, along with the great training, the finacial and time incentives are awesome.
My favorite driver is currently Kimi Räikkönen, but in the past was Juan Pablo, and before that I was a Mika Häkkinen fan. So yeah, I've been around about 20 years as a fan too, not the biggest fan of the newer cars, the V10's were my favorite, but the tech always has and still astounds me, especially with my engineering background.
Thanks for your advice, I'm really happy I finally took the leap to riding, so far, so fun!

-dreaming of beautiful weather and empty roads....
post #9 of 14 Old 08-16-2017, 10:03 AM

Garage
You kids. My favorite was Juan Manuel Fangio.

John: '09CRF230L (Li'l Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Propelled by Penguin Power
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster
1st bike: a gently used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper
post #10 of 14 Old 08-16-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsonder View Post
You kids. My favorite was Juan Manuel Fangio.
Was that the time when real men were driving these things instead of streamlined self absorbed multi millionaires?
@Big F1 Fan
Häkkinen was awesome. One of the best and still likable.
Big F1 Fan likes this.

My computer is fighting Aids and Cancer in it's idle time, and yours?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page