New bike 250R New member: Chal De Cecco - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 07-05-2018, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

New bike 250R New member: Chal De Cecco

Always needed a smaller bike in the fleet and was able to locate a new in the crate 2013 Repsol replica in Denver. Beautiful bike and surprised with the performance of the 250 after adding a carbon Akrapovic slip on, K&N filter and a front fork spring kit. The R is parked between my BMW1200 RS and my 1983 V45 Honda Interceptor in the garage.

So, what to ride today is a question that comes up often. Been riding for years in the Sacramento/Sierra Nevada foothills.

Looking for feedback and information on the 305cc overbore kit and required FI controller for the 250. More importantly, trying to figure out if the top end job is worth the effort. Happy so far with the surprising power of the smaller Honda.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-05-2018, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,940 Posts
Welcome to the site!

Are you riding at high altitude? If so, I'd recommend getting a 13T front sprocket which will make 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear more responsive when riding up mountain switchback roads.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
post #3 of 6 Old 07-09-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
Welcome to the site!

Are you riding at high altitude? If so, I'd recommend getting a 13T front sprocket which will make 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear more responsive when riding up mountain switchback roads.
MotoMike, I believe you lived n New Mexico, correct?
I'm in Santa Fe and love riding the local ski hill road, as well as the Sandia Crest road. I'd love to see an improvement going up those roads.

Did you notice any negative issues when downshifting going down the mountain roads? How about for downshifting during city commuting?

Also did it effect highway performance in the upper gears? I have a commute that I do which is half hiway, half city.

post #4 of 6 Old 07-09-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delnorte View Post
I'm in Santa Fe and love riding the local ski hill road, as well as the Sandia Crest road. I'd love to see an improvement going up those roads.

Did you notice any negative issues when downshifting going down the mountain roads? How about for downshifting during city commuting?

Also did it effect highway performance in the upper gears? I have a commute that I do which is half hiway, half city.

If you are looking for the numbers, gearingcommander.com has all the numbers you need. If you want to be going faster than about 80 mph on the highway, you should stick with the taller stock gearing. Peak power is at 8500 RPM, and the 13T will be at that at 79 MPH, while the 14T will go 85 MPH for 8500 RPM.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-09-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Chicken View Post
If you are looking for the numbers, gearingcommander.com has all the numbers you need. If you want to be going faster than about 80 mph on the highway, you should stick with the taller stock gearing. Peak power is at 8500 RPM, and the 13T will be at that at 79 MPH, while the 14T will go 85 MPH for 8500 RPM.
Thanks Das Chicken. That's what I was wanting to know. I'll just keep the CBR250R stock and wait until I finally get a bigger bike to get more power in the hills.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-10-2018, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by delnorte View Post

Yes, I was in Eldorado, just outside of Santa Fe up until two months ago. I can say unequivocally that the 13T was a significant improvement for the CBR250R when riding at altitude. Riding up the S.F. Ski Basin road is a perfect example of this. With the stock 14T front sprocket, 2nd & 3rd gear were just a bit too tall when exiting the tighter uphill switchback corners. Going down the road wasn't an issue, whether in 3rd or 4th gear.

As for highway & freeway riding, you do loose a few MPH on top speed on a flat level road. On the other hand, the bike doesn't scrub off speed on the rolling hills with the 13T, whereas it did with the 14T sprocket. I'm sure you're familiar with the stretch of I-25 between Eldorado and Santa Fe... with the 14T the bike couldn't maintain 80 MPH on those inclines and would scrub off speed, whereas with the 13T it had no problem maintaining 80 MPH.

I would say that in-town riding is also improved with the 13T, again because 2nd & 3rd gear have a bit more grunt.

IMO, changing to a 13T front sprocket is a must for anyone riding this bike at higher altitudes (over 5000 feet above sea level). While this bike has about 24 HP at sea level, at 10,000 feet it's down to about 18 HP.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician

Last edited by MotoMike; 07-10-2018 at 11:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page