Picking up a 2011 CBR250R for my wife tomorrow... - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 Old 11-16-2018, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Nevermind

Hi Everyone, as stated in the title, I'm picking up a 2011 CBR250R for my wife tomorrow. She took the MSF course last weekend (taught by me and a host of other instructor candidates as the capstone of an MSF instructor course) and is interested in riding her own bike. I have been riding for about 17 years, starting with a 2001 ZX-6R. My current motorcycles include a 2015 ZX-14R and a 2007 KLR650. I am looking forward to learning more about the CBR250R and, at this point, have already snagged a Two Bros full exhaust and a DMP Fender Eliminator. Further short term modifications will likely include some sort of fuel controller, a BMC race air filter, flushmount front turn signals, an integrated tail light, and a lowering link. I will make sure to thoroughly search the forum, but am particularly interested in any input regarding fuel controller options and/or lowering the CBR250R. Thank you for your time and attention!
jkv357 likes this.

Last edited by McycleRider; 11-19-2018 at 04:54 PM. Reason: took a wrong turn on the internet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 11-16-2018, 11:28 PM

Garage
Welcome.

John: '09CRF230L (Li'l Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Propelled by Penguin Power
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster
1st bike: a gently used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper
post #3 of 35 Old 11-17-2018, 10:13 AM

Wait....you bought the bike for your wife, but you've already started modding it? Don't you think it might be a better idea to let her ride it stock for a few miles before you add a louder exhaust and more power? Just sayin'.
Schroeder, cpt000 and Radha21 like this.

post #4 of 35 Old 11-17-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
Wait....you bought the bike for your wife, but you've already started modding it? Don't you think it might be a better idea to let her ride it stock for a few miles before you add a louder exhaust and more power? Just sayin'.
This was exactly my thought when I read this intro!

WHOSE RIDE IS IT, ANYWAY??

Oh . . . and welcome.

"What do YOU care what other people think?" --Arline Feynman
post #5 of 35 Old 11-18-2018, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! I picked the bike up yesterday and, although my wife hasn't ridden it yet, she seemed really happy with the looks of it. It looks like I will have to lower it a bit though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsonder View Post
Welcome.
post #6 of 35 Old 11-18-2018, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Wow - what can i say? It's a 2011 Honda 250. I'm sharing my hobby with my wife and, not that your passed judgement is of any significance, I can assure you that she appreciates my time and efforts.

As for the "louder exhaust and more power," I don't expect any significant power gains as a result of swapping out the factory anchor; associated weight savings, on the other hand, should make the bike more manageable.

Oh . . . and thanks for the welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooder7 View Post
This was exactly my thought when I read this intro!

WHOSE RIDE IS IT, ANYWAY??

Oh . . . and welcome.
post #7 of 35 Old 11-18-2018, 09:19 PM

I agree with the other guys about "Dont jump in headfirst with the mods" until the lady has had a chance to get accustomed to the stock configuration.

I hope you dont take offense, but those guys are giving you smart advice.

In fact I think the majority of females get turned off by loud pipes so that mod in particular I think you may want to hold off on that.

Welcome to the forum.

Maybe Im getting too old but I personally cant stand a loud obnoxious exhaust. I was at a red light today with some Harley goofball that had pipes so loud it was louder than my lawnmower. People like that give all motorcyclists a bad name because the general public starts to think we are all "that kind of guy". And some states are even passing restrictive new laws that are unfavorable to the motorcycle community and it is all because of the Squids with loud pipes or those driving recklessly and breaking every traffic law in the book. The bad behavior of those guys is going to get all of us in trouble.
post #8 of 35 Old 11-18-2018, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radha21 View Post
I hope you dont take offense, but those guys are giving you smart advice.
This introduction post satisfied forum requirements for me to pm someone about a rack for the bike, another mod I think she will appreciate. This isn't my first time around the block.

Quote:
"Dont jump in headfirst with the mods" until the lady has had a chance to get accustomed to the stock configuration.
I don't want her to get accustomed to the stock configuration; the stock configuration doesn't work for her and leaves significant room for improvement. She can't touch the ground without the bike being lowered, so I'm addressing that issue. It would have been nice if I had bought her a bike with LED lighting, so I'm setting the bike up with modern/bright/attractive lighting. Had Honda not been saddled with emissions restrictions, the bike would have come from the factory with a lighter pipe and better fuel injection mapping.

Quote:
In fact I think the majority of females get turned off by loud pipes so that mod in particular I think you may want to hold off on that.
She's been riding on the back of my much bigger/louder bikes for over 10 years. To elaborate on my previous post, she has no interest in keeping the stock boat anchor, appreciates the sound of a motorcycle, and was glad that I found a good deal on a pipe from a reputable manufacturer.

Quote:
Welcome to the forum.

Maybe Im getting too old but I personally cant stand a loud obnoxious exhaust. I was at a red light today with some Harley goofball that had pipes so loud it was louder than my lawnmower. People like that give all motorcyclists a bad name because the general public starts to think we are all "that kind of guy". And some states are even passing restrictive new laws that are unfavorable to the motorcycle community and it is all because of the Squids with loud pipes or those driving recklessly and breaking every traffic law in the book. The bad behavior of those guys is going to get all of us in trouble.
Thank you for the welcome, and maybe you are getting too old. I never would have imagined being exposed to so much criticism for making a bike "better." I'm an engineer at heart, and "improving" motorcycles is part of what I enjoy about this hobby. I'm not sure what I will have to offer to this forum if something as simple as swapping a pipe ruffles this many feathers.

Last edited by McycleRider; 11-18-2018 at 11:31 PM.
post #9 of 35 Old 11-18-2018, 11:43 PM

I dont know why you keep taking things personal. All I said is my own opinion and thoughts. Nobody is saying that you are bad or wrong.

None of the other people said anything with the intention of putting you down, but you are acting so defensive. No need for that, you are not under attack.

By all means, make any mod that you wish to. I was just thinking to save your wallet some extra money and to get a feel for how the bike feels in the stock configuration so that you have a baseline.

Sorry if you took my earlier post "the wrong way"....Im new myself to this forum so I dont really know very much. Im just giving my own personal opinions.
post #10 of 35 Old 11-19-2018, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

I understand your viewpoint, and appreciate the clarification.

As for being defensive, I never posed the question of "should I replace the exhaust on my wife's bike?" Rather, I stated that I purchased an exhaust for my wife's bike. I imagined there would be more positive "atta boy" types of responses, e.g., "looking forward to seeing what she thinks of it," "sounds like a good project," etc. The subsequent posts were definitely unexpected (i.e., they were actually critical) in that I found myself defending my decision to upgrade my wife's bike, including replacing the stock pipe.

Quote:
I dont know why you keep taking things personal. All I said is my own opinion and thoughts. Nobody is saying that you are bad or wrong.

None of the other people said anything with the intention of putting you down, but you are acting so defensive. No need for that, you are not under attack.

By all means, make any mod that you wish to. I was just thinking to save your wallet some extra money and to get a feel for how the bike feels in the stock configuration so that you have a baseline.

Sorry if you took my earlier post "the wrong way"....Im new myself to this forum so I dont really know very much. Im just giving my own personal opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page