Back in the saddle - Page 2 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 Old 12-15-2018, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
Thrash it and your CBR will be a happy bike and will always reward you for the effort
With an unnecessarily higher fuel consumption... unless you want to ride sporty of course but not everybody tries to move the bike as quickly as possible (yes, I know, I should be on a cruiser with my riding style....and I'm German so I have to say "nay" anyway).
Quote:
Originally Posted by eigo321
After about half an hour I tried hanging a knee and for whatever reason it immediately made a difference. We seemed to go through curves so much better. I'm really not sure what to deduce from that, other than my technique could use some work
So you're getting the "hang off" it?
eigo321 likes this.

My computer is fighting Aids and Cancer in it's idle time, and yours?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 Old 12-15-2018, 07:23 AM

Garage
I'm siding with Schroeder on the subject of engine revs. You need to keep them above 4000 in the higher gears to avoid a jerky ride but after 7500 the power's fading noticeably and to my mind changing up there to bring the motor back to where it's making the most torque gives a more satisfying ride than wringing it's neck for no noticeable gain.

If the temperature stays that low I'd recommend a set of heated grips.
post #13 of 26 Old 12-15-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
With an unnecessarily higher fuel consumption... unless you want to ride sporty of course but not everybody tries to move the bike as quickly as possible (yes, I know, I should be on a cruiser with my riding style....and I'm German so I have to say "nay" anyway).
Seriously Schroeder? I know from years of reading your posts that you're a "level headed" type of person, but are you really disputing a few MPGs in a bike that gets 65 to 70 of them when having FUN is basically the entire point of the CBR? And shouldn't that be "Nein" meine freund?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I'm siding with Schroeder on the subject of engine revs. You need to keep them above 4000 in the higher gears to avoid a jerky ride but after 7500 the power's fading noticeably and to my mind changing up there to bring the motor back to where it's making the most torque gives a more satisfying ride than wringing it's neck for no noticeable gain.
I strongly disagree. There may be some truth to that if you're just going in a straight line, since the roll-on qualities of the CBR at speed are limited by the size of it's engine and nothing to write home about, but it's a completely different story on a good twisty road. You'll never get to enjoy the bike's full potential if you stick to those parameters in the curvy stuff. The entire point in that kind of situation is to use judicious downshifting and trail braking inputs in order to keep the motor up in the high RPMs as smoothly as possible. Yes, the CBR has great torque available in certain situations, but you shouldn't have to rely on it to correct bad entrances or bad lines if you're thinking ahead and riding the bike properly by keeping the revs up. YOU may have to work a little harder to bring out the full potential of the CBR's engine, but once you've done it a few times there's no going back to lower RPMs and it becomes clear why the CBR is capable of humiliating much bigger bikes on everything but a straightaway.

post #14 of 26 Old 12-15-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:

If the temperature stays that low I'd recommend a set of heated grips.
I was actually surprised when I read about some performance mod on this forum some years ago that lifted the rev limit to 11.000 (IIRC). I never noticed any improvement in power above 7.500 - 8.000, the engine only got louder...
Keith likes this.

post #15 of 26 Old 12-15-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Seriously Schroeder? I know from years of reading your posts that you're a "level headed" type of person, but are you really disputing a few MPGs in a bike that gets 65 to 70 of them when having FUN is basically the entire point of the CBR?
Depends on the riding style. If you want to ride the bike that way that's perfectly cool and I'm not really opposed to it. My post was more meant to show that there are other ways to enjoy that bike, I for example don't seek the thrill of cornering and acceleration but love to easily cruise through the country side without being surrounded by 1.2 tons of metal that only give me 36mpg.

Besides, I'm a smart ass so my riding style is the only true one anyway and I needed to comment on the inferior one (joke).
Quote:
And shouldn't that be "Nein" meine freund?
Jawohl!

post #16 of 26 Old 12-15-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
Depends on the riding style. If you want to ride the bike that way that's perfectly cool and I'm not really opposed to it. My post was more meant to show that there are other ways to enjoy that bike, I for example don't seek the thrill of cornering and acceleration but love to easily cruise through the country side without being surrounded by 1.2 tons of metal that only give me 36mpg.
I'm certainly not saying you should ALWAYS ride the CBR flat out in every situation. I enjoy a nice, sedate cruise through the countryside on a beautiful summer day as much as the next guy. That's basically why I got back into motorcycling after moving out into the "boonies" where traffic is light and good 2-lane blacktop with 40-50 MPH speed limits surround me in all directions. I rode fairly conservatively the first few tears I owned the CBR. The more comfortable I've become on it though, the more I've been tapping it's true potential and the more I realize that it's in the higher RPMs is where this bike really shines.
I've owned my CBR for over 7 years now. Rather than wishing for a larger bike with a bigger engine, I still congratulate myself for buying it after each and every ride whether it's a slow meander through the woods or a screaming peg-drag up a mountain. It's so incredibly cheap to own, so fantastically reliable and so much fun every time I throw a leg over it. Who needs a bigger or newer bike when the CBR does everything you ask of it and more and responds so well to any type of riding you care to experience on any given day? It's a marvel of technology that eagerly morphs into whatever riding style you care to throw at it.
post #17 of 26 Old 12-17-2018, 07:22 AM

Garage
Quote:

The entire point in that kind of situation is to use judicious downshifting and trail braking inputs in order to keep the motor up in the high RPMs as smoothly as possible. Yes, the CBR has great torque available in certain situations, but you shouldn't have to rely on it to correct bad entrances or bad lines if you're thinking ahead and riding the bike properly by keeping the revs up. YOU may have to work a little harder to bring out the full potential of the CBR's engine, but once you've done it a few times there's no going back to lower RPMs and it becomes clear why the CBR is capable of humiliating much bigger bikes on everything but a straightaway.
It appears that you and I ride bikes for quite different reasons. I can see the attraction in honing your riding skills on a race track but race tracks have predictable, well maintained surfaces and open run-off areas. Roads have kerbs, potholes, and trees and rocks lining the corners, not to mention other traffic. Personally I value my health and well-being too much to ride without a large margin for dealing with the unexpected. When I want to push myself I do it on my mountain bikes where I know the speeds are going to be lower and the landings softer (very soft at the moment with all the rain we've had recently).
Here's a quick video example from a couple of weeks ago. None of the others there attempted the same.
Note, the video is on Facebook so the link will most likely not stay valid for ever.
post #18 of 26 Old 12-17-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
It appears that you and I ride bikes for quite different reasons. I can see the attraction in honing your riding skills on a race track but race tracks have predictable, well maintained surfaces and open run-off areas. Roads have kerbs, potholes, and trees and rocks lining the corners, not to mention other traffic. Personally I value my health and well-being too much to ride without a large margin for dealing with the unexpected. When I want to push myself I do it on my mountain bikes where I know the speeds are going to be lower and the landings softer (very soft at the moment with all the rain we've had recently).
Here's a quick video example from a couple of weeks ago. None of the others there attempted the same.
Note, the video is on Facebook so the link will most likely not stay valid for ever.
I think you're assuming too much. My credo on a motorcycle has always been "don't ride faster than you're willing to crash". I've only had one crash in over 36 years of riding motorcycles and that was a slow-speed lowside on gravel at only 30mph. In fact the only time I've been seriously injured or broken bones on two wheels has been on mountain and road bicycles, not motorcycles and those accidents were also at comparatively slow speeds.
Bringing out the potential of the CBR on curvy roads does not always mean you are breaking the speed limit or riding like a demon. You can still have plenty of fun on the right roads keeping the revs up and carving corners without seriously violating local traffic laws. If and when I do open things up it's always on roads that I am intimately familiar with, that are in good shape and with minimal traffic. Luckily I live in an area where those kind of roads abound in all directions. I never ride my CBR on public roads like I would ride it at a closed track. That's probably why I've had exactly zero speeding violations in over 3 decades of riding motorcycles.
post #19 of 26 Old 12-17-2018, 10:54 AM

Garage
Quote:
........roads............ that are in good shape and with minimal traffic. Luckily I live in an area where those kind of roads abound in all directions.
There are very few of those round here in the south of England, particularly in the summer when the area's full to bursting with tourists and day trippers.

Yes, I've also hurt myself worse on bicycles than motorcycles excepting the broken collarbone in a lowside when I was 17. I also managed to dislocate my shoulder and snap three tendons diving off a cruise boat just three years ago so I guess whatever you're doing, one of the biggest hazards is overconfidence.
post #20 of 26 Old 12-17-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
I guess whatever you're doing, one of the biggest hazards is overconfidence.
Oh believe me I have a healthy respect for the dangers of over confidence, thanks to several years of skydiving in my younger days.
If there's one sport that offers no "do-overs" to the over confident it's that one and the lessons learned tend to stick with you throughout your life.
Keith likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page