New to this forum (Got a couple of questions about mixing tire brands) - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 04-02-2019, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

New to this forum (Got a couple of questions about mixing tire brands)

Hello everyone,
I just got my new cbr 250r 2013 as my first bike.
Been wanting to get a bike for the past 5 years and I finally got it.
Anyways I bought it used with two different brand tires.

The front tire is a Michelin Pilot street non radial version 110/70
The rear tire is a Pirelli Angel CT 140/70

Is it okay for me to have these two tires as a combo?

I have went on a few short 5 km rides around the city and did not notice any problems with the tires. I'm 100% sure that the rear tire is very new while the front tire has some wear on it but I have checked both for the thread marks.

One more thing is that I'm also confused on the tire pressure. Should the rear tire really be at 30 psi and the front tire at 28. Surprisingly when I first got it the PSI was really low in both tires, front tire had 11 psi and rear tire had 15. I pumped up the front tire to 21 and the rear to 25 because I wanted to ask you guys about the tire pressure first to make sure it won't explode.

Thanks a lot everyone! I'm honored to take part in this forum that is directly dedicated to the CBR 250!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-03-2019, 01:05 PM

Garage
The classic advice is to not mix radial and non-radial tires. Is the Pirelli a radial (has R in the tire info)?

I have used up old tires on bikes that I did not ride hard, but I was pretty cautious of the handling.

John '14CB500XA (Daily Rider), '09CRF230L (Li'l Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Propelled by Penguin Power
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster
1st bike: a gently used 1958 Matchless 250 thumper
post #3 of 5 Old 04-03-2019, 01:49 PM

Not the best idea to mix and match. Sometimes the combo is fine, other times it may cause handling problems.

Check the date code on the tires to see if one is past its prime. If the front looks worn, most likely it's old too.

post #4 of 5 Old 04-04-2019, 09:27 AM

I have a Kenda Cruiser on the front and a Michelin Pilot Street non-radial on the back and no problems. When the time comes for the front to be replaced, I'll likely replace both as a set with Pilot Streets.

I have both my tires at 30, and no they won't explode on you. There should also be a max sidewall pressure rating embossed on the tires if you want to go a little firmer.

Tis better to be thought a fool and remain silent, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-04-2019, 09:51 AM

29 psi front and rear is standard for the CBR300 so I would think the 250 is much the same. Get a Michelin Pilot Street RADIAL and you will have more predictable handling. Even better if you put a Pilot Street Radial on the rear also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page