Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Restore or Part out?

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  cbrlocal 
#1 ·
Hi All,

Don't normally do much forum time but figured it would be the best way to do what needs doing. My son's 2012 CBR 250 ABS was vandalized in an attempted theft operation at his college camus in Columbia, SC. The bike was covered in spray paint. With the current value of the bike in mind, we're deciding whether it's best to bring it back to working condition or part it out. I'm sure there are folks in this forum who could use a part or two and it may be better to do it that way to raise funds for another bike.

James
South Carolina

#2 ·
Welcome!

Parting it out is certainly one way to go, but it's a long road and a lot of work... obviously some things would sell quickly, for example the engine assembly. That said there are a lot of parts that won't move very fast, if at all.

If you go that route, ebay will your best bet as the place to list parts. Whereas traffic on this website has slowed down dramatically in the last couple years, so much so that listing parts for sale here will be a long shot.

One other tip regarding pricing used parts, is to go to an online Honda dealer website, like Partzilla.com to see what those parts sell for new. Many OEM parts are very inexpensive for this bike, and I'm always surprised to see people listing used parts on eBay at prices that are higher than what the same exact part is brand new.

#5 ·
Agreed. As is we don't have much to go on. If it's just spray paint on the plastics I would go for a restoration as the plastics are cheap to replace but if there is real physical damage parting the bike out might be the better option. Another thing to consider is of course how much the rider liked the bike. If he's looking for something new already going through a rebuild wouldn't be worth it. If the bike was a keeper for him it might be worth the effort though.

#4 ·
I would probably sell any of the big parts that you can sell quickly but after that just scrap the rest of it.

#7 ·
It appears that the paint comes off the plastic parts with stripper ok. On the larger fiberglass pieces it's a mess. Truth be told I just want it gone. As far as the work goes, I'm making the person who failed to cover and secure the bike do it. But it just breaks my heart to look at the machine in that condition as it was once a beauty. See before picture.

Attachments

#10 ·
Im trying to figure out what the criminal was thinking when they did this? What is the end game? It does not make any sense to do this to a motorcycle.

I mean its one thing to steal a bike, but this is irrational behavior. i wonder if the vandal actually knows your son and has some sort of a vendetta against him? Or is seeking revenge perhaps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.