Mirror extenders - Page 2 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 37 Old 06-14-2013, 02:29 AM

I never would have even considered mirror extensions if you had never brought it up.
Everything about this bike is so much more user friendly than my BMW R65 that I had owned for over 30 years, it is hard for me to understand why people want to mess with things like that great headlight.

But yeah - I've been playing with my mirror adjustment and I have not been happy.
I will probably join you in this experiment!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(no affilliation)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 37 Old 06-14-2013, 04:45 PM

Black Set of 8mm Motorcycle Mirror Riser Extender Adapters CBR GSXR YZF ZX | eBay

DIY Garage needs funding...
post #13 of 37 Old 06-14-2013, 05:40 PM

Hello,

I bought the "mirror extemders spacers" on eBay USA. They work and do indeed help. But they are no so good like the advertising photos show. Still, I'm a big guy at 6' & 240 lbs. It takes an effort to see directly behind the bike.

Peace Out

Peace Out - JayJay

“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” - Will Rogers

Now Bikes:
Black 2012 CBR250R (ABS)
Past Bikes:
60's, a 5hp minibike
'76 Honda CB125
'74 Honda CB350 (the rat bike)
'79 Yamaha SR500F
'01 BMW R1150GS
The Following User Says Thank You to JayJay For This Useful Post:
lukeduck (06-14-2013)

post #14 of 37 Old 06-14-2013, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
Hello,

I bought the "mirror extemders spacers" on eBay USA. They work and do indeed help. But they are no so good like the advertising photos show. Still, I'm a big guy at 6' & 240 lbs. It takes an effort to see directly behind the bike.

Peace Out
so you bought the " 1 inch block type" extender? I can tell by just looking at them they just don't cut it....thats why I wouldnt even consider them even if they were cheaper..which they arent

I DONT BELIEVE ANYTHING I READ AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT I SEE

post #15 of 37 Old 06-14-2013, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

yeah..these are the ones I ordered...wasnt going to post the link till I was sure they work with our bikes...wouldnt be the first time something was listed as compatible with the cbr250r when it doesnt even come close to fitting.....sellers site says only 10 available tho.

post #16 of 37 Old 06-14-2013, 07:18 PM

Thanked 1,538 Times in 790 Posts
Thanks for being the Guinea Pig. I'm watching this thread with interest. Better rear vision can only be a good thing.

post #17 of 37 Old 06-17-2013, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Success....they work great....can see behind me with ease..just the ends of my elbows visible in mirror now....a tad bit of vibration revving up thru gears but not enough to outway the positives

BUT...and there always is a BUT....
the mirror bolts were put in with the most potent loctite there is (blue loctite) and they were obviously never intended to be taken out again..So I tried just about everything on the first mirror till I finally got it out...I will cut to the chase and describe how I took the 2nd one out, which took me 5 minutes or less.

take of mirror assembly...put in vise...drill out bolt thru top, going down 3/16 to 1/4" deep..tap in square punch...twist...this will break/sheer off the top of the bolt (this is a good thing..you want it to do that) or you could just hit it with a hammer n flat head screw driver to brake it off..really soft cheap metal screws........... top mirror stem will come off then....catch it before it falls and breaks.

you will then have a 1/4 inch or so of bolt exposed that will still not back out even with clamped on vise grips (I tried)..you must heat it up to break the loctite bond..I used a torch for less than a minute...remaining bolt then extracts with ease.
(yes, I tried heating the bolt for a very very long time on top and bottom before doing any of this..it still just stripped out)

I went to Ace Hardware..bought 2 button head- M8X1.25 bolts...1" long..1 1/4 will work too..reinstalled mirror WITH mirror extenders.....

vise did scratch my paint a tad..touched it up with a can of black spraypaint a few minutes before reinstall

installed ..still have my denali's on mirror stems

Last edited by spdklls; 06-19-2013 at 11:56 PM. Reason: added pic
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spdklls For This Useful Post:
don'tpanic (06-18-2013), Turtlebone (06-19-2013)
post #18 of 37 Old 06-18-2013, 01:13 AM

Mine should be here Thursday.
Thanks for the heads up on the install!

I've been thinking about them on every ride since you started this thread!

(no affilliation)
The Following User Says Thank You to don'tpanic For This Useful Post:
spdklls (06-18-2013)
post #19 of 37 Old 06-24-2013, 02:27 PM

So I am working on my first one. It appears that the extender changes the angle of the mirror stem.
Did you have to rotate your mirrors (at the top end) quite a bit to compensate?

Thanks.

Cool lights!

(no affilliation)
post #20 of 37 Old 06-24-2013, 02:34 PM

I did manage to remove my first OEM screw with no damage (thanks to your warning).

I put the assy in my vise with it's plastic guards and tightened it well.
Then I applied heat via my plumbers torch (I need one of those pencil torches) to the bottom of the screw (visible on the bottom of the mount and to the head of the screw as well.
Then I put a small dab of valve grinding compound on the tip of my allen socket and put it on my big 1/2" breaker bar. It came free!

The VGC helps the allen key get a better purchase on the fastener.

(no affilliation)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page