Sato Racing Spools - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 07-02-2013, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Sato Racing Spools

Hey guys Im having trouble lining up the spools evenly. On the right side of the bike (no chain) its fit perfect no problem. But the chain side is much harder and I cant get it to line up evenly because part of the wheel is in the way. hopefully the pictures can help show you what I mean. First two pics are the right side. Next 3 are left. What am I doing wrong?

The Following User Says Thank You to cbrepsol For This Useful Post:
nickx2 (11-07-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 07-03-2013, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

Something definitely doesn't look right. There should be way more clearance between the wheel and swingarm. It looks like you are missing a spacer on that side of the hub. I don't have my bike or manual with me so can't say for sure. Does the bike track properly? Try and get a measurement from the swingarm to the edge of the sprocket carrier.

Everyone has the right to be offended but just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right!
post #3 of 26 Old 07-03-2013, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jme250RA View Post
Something definitely doesn't look right. There should be way more clearance between the wheel and swingarm. It looks like you are missing a spacer on that side of the hub. I don't have my bike or manual with me so can't say for sure. Does the bike track properly? Try and get a measurement from the swingarm to the edge of the sprocket carrier.
I couldn't find anything in the manual about a spacer but the measurement from the end of the swingarm to the edge of the sprocket carrier is about .20 of an inch. I filed down the back end of the spool a bit and it'll sit where it's supposed to but it still scrapes a bit when the bike is moving. Am I missing a spacer or do I just need to file even more?

post #4 of 26 Old 07-03-2013, 10:30 PM

I have Sato spools on my '12.

I only have 0.6 mm gap between the spool holder and the sprocket carrier.

edit: I have more space at the top & bottom than I do in the middle of the spool holder.
The 0.6mm measurement was taken at the tightest space, @ 3 o'clock when looking at the wheel from the left side.

I also have my spools as far as possible to the end of the swingarm. Possibly too far, but the most-reward fasteners are covering the swingarm, so I think I am O.K.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(no affilliation)
The Following User Says Thank You to don'tpanic For This Useful Post:
Smiles:) (09-02-2016)
post #5 of 26 Old 07-03-2013, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by don'tpanic View Post
I have Sato spools on my '12.

I only have 0.6 mm gap between the spool holder and the sprocket carrier.
would you mind taking a quick picture of it?
post #6 of 26 Old 07-04-2013, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrepsol View Post
would you mind taking a quick picture of it?
I tried when it was still daylight out, but I could not get a clear shot of the gap. At least, not the center where it is noticeably narrower.

I will continue to try. I will put a light source behind and see if that works.

(no affilliation)
post #7 of 26 Old 07-04-2013, 01:23 AM

It is pretty hard to show the gap.
I included a couple to show how far back on the swingarm they are.

(no affilliation)

Last edited by don'tpanic; 05-21-2016 at 07:07 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to don'tpanic For This Useful Post:
cbrepsol (07-04-2013)
post #8 of 26 Old 07-04-2013, 01:27 AM

I have never seen the Sato spool assembles in person. Are both of the plates that fit on the inside surface of the swing arms the same thickness? In the pics the one on the brake side seems thinner than the chain side. If so I would switch the thinner one to the chain side. If they are the same nothing would be gained.
post #9 of 26 Old 07-04-2013, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromit View Post
I have never seen the Sato spool assembles in person. Are both of the plates that fit on the inside surface of the swing arms the same thickness? In the pics the one on the brake side seems thinner than the chain side. If so I would switch the thinner one to the chain side. If they are the same nothing would be gained.
I just came back in from the garage after reading your post.

Both inner plates appear to be identical, however, the inner plates seem to have a "front" and a "rear", or at least, they are not the same on both long edges. One side has a relief cut into it.

I noticed that my brake side had the relief facing the rear, while the chain side had it facing the front. I think if I swapped my covers (or just flip it over???) I, and everyone putting these on (wrong?) might gain a lot of space.

And here is a picture of my gap with some fill flash:

(no affilliation)

Last edited by don'tpanic; 05-21-2016 at 07:07 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to don'tpanic For This Useful Post:
cbrepsol (07-04-2013), nickx2 (11-07-2013)
post #10 of 26 Old 07-04-2013, 01:42 AM

I will probably play with mine tomorrow when the neighborhood is on a lock-down due to the parade going on out on main street.

(no affilliation)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page