Anybody using Sony MDR-NC13 noise canceling headphones - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 10-07-2014, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Anybody using Sony MDR-NC13 noise canceling headphones

New rider (~350 miles) who commutes 15 miles at 70 mph. I've got a HJC-17CL helmet which I like, but of course at 70 mph it's quite noisy out there. I generally use in-ear headphones which seal out much of the noise (sometimes listen to audio books which aren't too distracting).

I'm wondering if anyone regularly uses the Sony MDR-NC13 noise canceling ear buds inside their full-face helmets, and would you recommend? I know ear plugs are a solid choice, and I've tried them a couple times, but find them a little *too* isolating.

Thank you for your guidance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-07-2014, 01:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwoodtx View Post
New rider (~350 miles) who commutes 15 miles at 70 mph. I've got a HJC-17CL helmet which I like, but of course at 70 mph it's quite noisy out there. I generally use in-ear headphones which seal out much of the noise (sometimes listen to audio books which aren't too distracting).

I'm wondering if anyone regularly uses the Sony MDR-NC13 noise canceling ear buds inside their full-face helmets, and would you recommend? I know ear plugs are a solid choice, and I've tried them a couple times, but find them a little *too* isolating.

Thank you for your guidance.
I use surefire ep3 earplugs, drops noise down about 20db so it enough to get rid of wind noise and than i have a SENA SMH-10 for music/ calling
I believe they also have better ones too so they can get much quitter.

The ear plugs are also really easy to clean so that is a plus for me
post #3 of 5 Old 10-08-2014, 11:50 PM

Hell fucking no. You won't catch me with another distraction in this town. Maybe if I were shredding endless twisties with 0 traffic I would, but there are too many drunks and too many people trying to drive their cellphones and their cars at the same time. As a newbie, you should be paying 100% attention to your course of action, your bikes course of action, and the traffic around you. Noise isolation headphones are going to detract from 2 of those 3. BTW if your nick implies Texas, headphones are illegal in this state (and several others)

post #4 of 5 Old 10-09-2014, 12:10 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by beefsalad View Post
Hell fucking no. You won't catch me with another distraction in this town. Maybe if I were shredding endless twisties with 0 traffic I would, but there are too many drunks and too many people trying to drive their cellphones and their cars at the same time. As a newbie, you should be paying 100% attention to your course of action, your bikes course of action, and the traffic around you. Noise isolation headphones are going to detract from 2 of those 3. BTW if your nick implies Texas, headphones are illegal in this state (and several others)
Meh. There is a long topic about earplugs somewhere on the forums. They do help you concentrate more, and reduce fatigue. And if you want your hearing when you're older, you will want them.

But yeah, Texas doesn't specify anything about earplugs here - State-by-state motorcycle laws

I know in CA its legal to use them as long as you can hear sirens. CA only lets you have 1 headphone, TX seems to not care if you have both though. Sigh. Least we can lane split!

I never leave home on the freeway without earplugs. After a 800 mile trip on the freeway I learned my lesson. I was fatigued like crazy from the wind and when I got off the bike I could barely hear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-09-2014, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

I'm riding between a town of 25,000 about 15 miles to a town of 8,000, fair-weather, daytime commute at 70-75 mpg on a back road with light traffic. Dallas is an hour away, but I doubt I'll ever head that way for all the reasons you state. Much too noisy w/o hearing protection of some kind, and I already have mild hearing loss so need to protect.

Oh, and my listening is audiobooks and podcasts, so lots of silence between the words.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page