CB300F compatible top triple clamp raise handlebar higher fits cbr250 - Page 3 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List
gyrotumbler

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 53 Old 12-31-2014, 12:36 PM

Thanks gyro. Glad to hear of your progress. I plan to order a SS brake cable, but have all the other parts you listed on order to ship complete when the bar is in. With the CB300F handlebar rolled back to clear the windscreen does it feel comfortable to you? If not I may still be able to cancel that Item and order one of the other bars you are trying. Please advise? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 53 Old 12-31-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUrider View Post
Thanks gyro. Glad to hear of your progress. I plan to order a SS brake cable, but have all the other parts you listed on order to ship complete when the bar is in. With the CB300F handlebar rolled back to clear the windscreen does it feel comfortable to you? If not I may still be able to cancel that Item and order one of the other bars you are trying. Please advise? Thanks.
These handlebars are about one inch higher than my helibars. that makes them 2 1/2" - 3" higher than stock, depending on how they are adjusted. The pullback is around 3.5". Helibars have 4.5" pullback. I want more pullback so I'm ordering emgo black wide magna bend with 6.5" pullback from amazon, these bars are 2" wider than 300f bars so I hope I can cut a little off each end. I still have to bleed the brakes and put on the middle cowl before I can ride.

The grass is always greener . . .
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gyrotumbler For This Useful Post:
Bent (12-31-2014), PSUrider (12-31-2014)
post #23 of 53 Old 01-01-2015, 01:11 AM

This is great news! I have always wanted a way to mount standard handlebars, so I could try and get a pair of these not-so-standard handlebars:

Malaysia and Viet Nam only, I am afraid.
http://www.racingboy.com.my/componen...tifunction-bar

Oh, and gyrotumbler, congrats on your airheadedness!

Last edited by don'tpanic; 01-01-2015 at 02:00 AM.

post #24 of 53 Old 01-01-2015, 09:12 PM

Today I cut off the two tabs at the top of the windscreen. In my previous photos they look like they stick straight out, but of course they are angled down. The windscreen looks good, like they were never there. Next I raised the bars to the higher position shown In my photo and the bars clear the windscreen now. Next I installed my lower seat (stock with 1/2" added padding) and the feel was very comfortable with a little bend in the elbow. I would be very happy with this, but my normal seat is 1 1/2" higher and my arms are straight with this seat. I really prefer a higher seat height than the stock honda seat. Also my rear shock is set at it's stiffest setting and the extra padding really helps on rough roads. I'm still waiting on two different handlebars to try. One will be here tomorrow with 2" higher rise. The brake hose probably won't reach on that one. Next week the second one will arrive with 1" higher rise and 3" more pullback, I"m expecting this one to fit me good. The brake hose should work on that with no problem.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gyrotumbler For This Useful Post:
Bent (01-02-2015), PSUrider (01-01-2015)
post #25 of 53 Old 01-01-2015, 10:20 PM

Thanks again gyro. That makes me feel it will work fine for me. I have the zero gravity sport touring windscreen which is taller but narrower by not having the tabs at the top. I will just add the cb300f longer brake cable to my order and wait for all my parts to arrive.
post #26 of 53 Old 01-19-2015, 07:13 PM

Cb300f taller handlebars

Wanting a more upright riding position than the CBR250R offers I tried Helibars which were a good improvement but still not what I was looking for. Since the new CB300f has the upright riding position I was looking for I was planning to buy one next year. All I really need though was the top fork bridge, cables, brake hose, and the handlebars.

Now I have the straight upright riding position similar to many of the new adventure-sport bikes on the market.

I also won't have to buy that new BMW S1000XR, that will save me $16,000 right there.

The CB300F handlebars are 27" wide and the ends have a 3" pullback compared to the CBR250Rs 25" width and 4.5" pullback clipons. I wanted more pullback than the CB300 handlebars had, so I tried a couple of different aftermarket handlebars with no luck. I decided to bend the CB300 handlebars myself and now I have the 4.5" pullback I wanted and also the 25" width, same as stock CBR250.

Now the windscreen

The stock windscreen is not very effective when you are sitting straight up. The windscreen on bikes with this riding position are a lot more vertical. The front brake master cylinder hits the top corner of the windscreen, so a little trimming was in order. Now there are a lot of different shapes that can be done, round top, tombstone, fly-screen with more of a higher curve, even a Bart Simpson haircut style. Lots of possibilities here.
I went with cutting the corners at a 45 degree angle for now just to start the Bart haircut and make room for the stock CB300 mirrors that I plan to install on the handlebars.

I raised the triple trees up one inch on the fork tubes. Now the bike leans over way too much on the side stand. A quick parts check shows the CBR250, CBR300, and CB300 all use the same side stand, so I added a 1/2" to the bottom of my stand, and now it sits normal. (Edit. Lowered triple tree from 1" to 1/2 inch on fork tube because clutch cable was too tight at steering lock.)

About a year and a half ago I injured my left knee and it still bothers me occasionally. After riding about 30 minutes it aches and goes numb. To help with the problem I added 1.5" more padding to the seat and Buell 1" lower footpegs, which when installed on this motorcycle are actually 1.5" lower than stock footpegs. between the seat and the foot pegs that's 3' more legroom which really helps my knee. The Buell footpegs ($30) are not a direct fit, You have to make them fit. Knightdesigns.com makes 1' lower footpegs ($110-$120) specifically for the CBR250.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1421690778113.2.jpg (170.7 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg 1421691729219.6.jpg (177.2 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg 1421526959746.3.jpg (257.4 KB, 148 views)

Last edited by gyrotumbler; 02-05-2015 at 06:17 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gyrotumbler For This Useful Post:
gstup (01-25-2015), mrmunsell (01-31-2015), Pro (01-22-2015)
post #27 of 53 Old 01-31-2015, 10:07 PM

I sat on a CB300F the other day and started wondering if something like this might be possible. I am glad to see that it is and that someone has already figured out the details. Thanks!

As MotoMike noted earlier in the thread, the CBR250R and CB300F have different steering stems. It looks like the CBR300R still uses the same steering stem as the CBR250R though. Does anyone know what is unique about the steering stem used on the CB300F? I am just wondering if the differences are relevant in anyway to this conversion or not...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #28 of 53 Old 03-07-2015, 09:32 PM

Well it is almost spring and today my garage was almost 40 deg. so I finally installed my cb300f handlebar set-up. It took me the whole afternoon. Bleeding front brake without proper bleeder took forever. My setup is like Gyrotumbler's except I kept the stock throttle cables rerouted to the back of the forks. I moved my forks down lifting the front end about .75 inches. I have the ZG sport touring windscreen and at full lock the master cylinder touches the screen but not a problem. thumbs and bars do not hit tank. Set up feels about perfect. I also have the Saddleman tech seat, Racetech front suspension and R6 rear shock set up. Still too much snow and cinders to test ride. I can hardly wait. It should be sweet. I will probably alter my kickstand too. It definitely leans too hard now. I removed my mirrors since I know what my shoulders look like and I use a handlebar mounted dual sport type mirror now. I may add another one to the left side too. I'll post pics and a ride report as soon as the weather and roads improve.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cbrhandlebarfront.jpg (95.4 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg cbrhandlebarside.jpg (388.3 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg cbrhandlebarback.jpg (447.4 KB, 151 views)

Last edited by PSUrider; 03-08-2015 at 10:34 AM. Reason: added pictures
post #29 of 53 Old 03-16-2015, 09:14 PM

I just completed my CB300F handlebar installation over the weekend. This thread was a very helpful guide. I used the same parts and followed the same steps as gyrotumbler for the most part. One exception is that I made holes in the handlebars for the switch assembly locating pins instead of filing off their locating pins. I used the alignment dots on the CB300F handlebars to locate the levers and transferred the lever alignment dot to switch hole offsets from the CBR250R clip ons to locate the switch assemblies.

I have some handlebar lever mount mirrors on order. The stock ones are still sufficient after the conversion, but ideally I would like to have them a bit higher while they are adjusted to their widest spread. Now I have another factor in the mirror adjustment compromise (my previous preferred position now puts my handlebars and knuckles in the lower quadrant of the mirror, etc). I am anticipating that the higher position of the handlebar lever mount mirrors will help with that.

I've been out on a couple rides so far and I am very happy the outcome. Thanks again for doing the homework on this!

CBR-250-R likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #30 of 53 Old 03-16-2015, 11:47 PM

^ What a gorgeous bike! I envy the color. What windscreen have you installed? And it looks like you have some kind of luggage on the back...what would that be?

You did a great job with the handlebar installation - looks completely OEM. Did you have to use longer cables and hoses?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page