Decisions - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

4Likes
  • 3 Post By TrueFaith
  • 1 Post By TrueFaith

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 08-14-2016, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Decisions

Ok guys I finally picked up a bike this evening, a 2012 250r (non abs) with only 4100 miles. First thing I want to do is clip ons, Not sure if woodcraft or vortex would be best. I have always used vortex but see a lot of people going for woodcraft now, if I do the vortex do I want the "7 degree" ones?? My second thing I want to add is the back spools but I see it comes in a kit, has anyone tried this brand? (CNC Swingarm Spool Adapters Honda CBR250R (2011-2013) Black - Mad Hornets) I am impressed with this bike so far! and cant wait to put some miles on her. Thanks in advance

"Never ride faster then your angel can fly"

Last edited by traumajunkie; 08-14-2016 at 11:16 PM. Reason: blonde moment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-14-2016, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,647 Times in 1,941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by traumajunkie View Post
My second thing I want to add is the back spools but I see it comes in a kit, has anyone tried the cnc brand? (CNC Swingarm Spool Adapters Honda CBR250R (2011-2013) Black - Mad Hornets)
CNC is not a "brand"... rather CNC stands for Computer Numeric Control, which is a machine tool industry term for the current type of machine tool control. Before CNC there was NC, or Numeric Control. Before NC came into being machine tools were controlled by the operator, by hand.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MotoMike For This Useful Post:
shisoshin (08-15-2016)
post #3 of 10 Old 08-14-2016, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
CNC is not a "brand"... rather CNC stands for Computer Numeric Control, which is a machine tool industry term for the current type of machine tool control. Before CNC there was NC, or Numeric Control. Before NC came into being machine tools were controlled by the operator, by hand.
haha yea I thought about that after I typed it, I was not fast enough to edit it before being called out. I am unfamiliar with that site though they appear to have some quality items.

post #4 of 10 Old 08-14-2016, 11:47 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,647 Times in 1,941 Posts
I hadn't heard of Mad Hornets either before your post.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
post #5 of 10 Old 08-15-2016, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Ok guys I finally picked up a bike this evening, a 2012 250r (non abs) with only 4100 miles. First thing I want to do is clip ons, Not sure if woodcraft or vortex would be best. I have always used vortex but see a lot of people going for woodcraft now, if I do the vortex do I want the "7 degree" ones?? My second thing I want to add is the back spools but I see it comes in a kit, has anyone tried this brand? (CNC Swingarm Spool Adapters Honda CBR250R (2011-2013) Black - Mad Hornets) I am impressed with this bike so far! and cant wait to put some miles on her. Thanks in advance
No you dont want the 7 degree Vortex as they are too low for the 250R unless you want to turn your right hand throttle housing 90 degrees so that the throttle cables are clear of the top of the fairing but then your starter button will be on the bottom out of reach.
Better off with the woodcrafts, I had them on my 250R and they are a nice product.
The vortex fit the 300R but that bike has a lower cut of fairing.

2013 CBR250R repsol (sold)
2014 CBR300R (sold)
2007 SV650 (track bike)
2004 XR250R (dirt bike)
2018 Ninja 400
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kiwi rider For This Useful Post:
shisoshin (08-15-2016)
post #6 of 10 Old 08-15-2016, 10:44 AM

Personally, I'd go with Woodcraft.
I got one of the first new-gen Ninja 250Rs off the truck a few years ago and volunteered to bring my bike to Woodcraft's shop nearby in Winchendon, MA so they could measure it for clip-ons they wanted to produce for it.
I got to meet the guys and check out their shop while they took my bars apart and did all their measurements.
Totally dedicated bunch to whom making quality aftermarket parts is priority #1 .
Proudly made in the USA and I doubt you'll find better.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-15-2016, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Perfect! thank you guys. Now what about spool adapters since the swing arm is not set up to take just a spool its self.

post #8 of 10 Old 08-15-2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Perfect! thank you guys. Now what about spool adapters since the swing arm is not set up to take just a spool its self.
There are a ton of previous discussions on the matter of spools in the site's archives. I know because I just recently accessed them all looking for the best fit for my bike.
There are pros and cons for each brand and "fitment" is a bigger issue than you'd suspect.
I'd use the "search" function at the top of the page and input terms like "swingarm spools" or "track stands" until you can read what's already been discussed.
It's a much more complicated subject than can be fully answered by a few posts in this thread and getting as much detailed info as you can from actual past buyers and users is really vital for making a decision on what's best for your situation.
traumajunkie likes this.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-15-2016, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

thank you for that, I will search it. What did you go for ?

post #10 of 10 Old 08-15-2016, 06:11 PM

Quote:
thank you for that, I will search it. What did you go for ?
What I really WANTED were the Yoshimura ones. However, that was before I read the threads and discovered that the mounts and hooks are sold separately and run about $150 in total. Plus they weren't exactly getting rave reviews. The other brands were also a little pricey.
As it happens, I already have a set of T-Rex track stands and like them a lot. It turns out that the T-Rex spool kit was not only the lowest cost, but worked well with the stands I already had and seemed the simplest to install. Also, I wanted red spools and you can buy just the spools in different colors other than the black ones the kit comes with for less than $20.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page