Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums

Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums (https://www.cbr250.net/forum/)
-   CBR250 Parts and Accessories (https://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-parts-accessories/)
-   -   Repsol Orange Wheels? (https://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-parts-accessories/62178-repsol-orange-wheels.html)

Corey 08-25-2016 07:50 AM

Repsol Orange Wheels?

Hi,

I'm contemplating changing my bikes color scheme by putting orange rims on the bike. (those orange rims in the forum header look fantastic for this application)

Are they a Honda specific part? or can i buy some "generic" orange rims and they will fit just as well?

Thanks!

jkv357 08-25-2016 11:12 AM

You won't need to replace the rims - just have them painted or, better yet, powder coated.

You should be able to find a shop that does custom powder coating. The rims will need to be completely disassembled - rotors, bearings, seals, everything removed. They should then have the original coating removed, be lightly media blasted, cleaned, chemically treated, masked, and coated. This is what I do for a living.

There's an orange rim on my home page - Apex Custom Coating, Powder Coating, Media Blasting, Middleton/Madison WI. They only come in silver, and I do them mostly in black, but occasionally will do them in other colors like orange, green, yellow, blue.

It's a lot less expensive than replacing the rims, but it's still not cheap to do right. Look for a place that does "custom" coating and not production coating like shelves, cabinets, chairs, etc. Production shops typically don't do well with small items like a couple of wheels. They are set-up for doing thousands of the same thing, over and over, and rarely take the time to properly do the detail work needed on critical items like wheels.

MotoMike 08-25-2016 05:08 PM

Unless you were to go with an inexpensive DIY rattle can paint job, having the wheels professionally painted or powder coated as jkv357 suggested won't be cheap.

The alternative would be to order a set of OEM wheels for a 2013 CBR250R Repsol version... here in the US, online discount Honda parts dealers sell those Repsol Orange wheels at $170 for the front, and $186 for the rear. They come from the factory with the bearings and seals already installed, just need to swap over the brake rotors and mount & balance the tires.

jkv357 08-25-2016 05:19 PM

For comparison, the cost for powder coating a typical cycle wheel runs about $120 each plus the cost to special order a color, usually around $30 to $35.

For the CBR, a new OEM set might be the way to go. It's not very common to be able to get a brand new wheel with bearings and seals for $170 to $185. Might even be able to find them at a discount online. You could even sell the ones you have to reduce your cost further.

Those orange wheels on my site cost about $1500 - each.

Makes a neat table -

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps5lt9njxt.jpg

MotoMike 08-25-2016 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkv357 (Post 639474)
For comparison, the cost for powder coating a typical cycle wheel runs about $120 each plus the cost to special order a color, usually around $30 to $35.

... added to the powder coating cost, is the cost of new wheel bearings and seals, which will run about $30 for the front wheel, and $35 for the rear wheel, not including labor.

Factor in the possibility of selling the original stock wheels (racers are always looking for an extra set of wheels) for say $50 - $75 each and the case has been made for saving a lot of time and money by just ordering the new OEM Repsol Orange wheels.

shisoshin 08-25-2016 07:23 PM

you could just go out and remove fancy wheels
from a repsol honda..
in other words, make sure you chain them
with serious chain and lock[s]/alarms..

[this from owner of a stolen cbr250r]