What are the essential mods and accessories? - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 59 Old 11-21-2012, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

What are the essential mods and accessories?

Well, I've probably spent my motorcycle accessory budget for the next few months on things like a new helmet, a jacket with armor, new gloves and riding pants. But that's OK, where getting stuff is always cool, the goal and the pleasure is riding itself.

Still, there are things I'm thinking about for the bike and myself. No particular order or priority yet. Some of these things I'll probably never get (but I can think about it . . )

Frame Sliders - It is doubtful that I will ever do a track day. I'm also not planning on droping my bike (but who does?) which is why I am interested in this accessory. In the event that it does happen and the possibility that I get out of it in some reasonable state, I might want or need to get back on the bike and ride it, if not immediately some time in the future. having the frame and fairing protected could be a plus. I'm thinking Yoshimura.

A lower seat - when I first sat on this bike in the showroom I was concerned that my stubby little legs were not fully touching flat-foot on the ground on both sides in spite of the 30.5 inch seat height. One of the salesman that I was working with actually told me not to worry about it too much as long as the riding position is comfortable that I'd get used to it. He was right, on the road and in the parking lot I do fine. Getting traction while backing can be difficult in some cases though. Another inch lower in the seat might help. Saddlemen?

Spools - What do you mean no center stand? This is a motorcycle. Well sometime after I stopped riding and before I stated again, motorcycles lost the center stand. I know, I'm sure there are some that still have them, mine doesn't. Since I'll never have to kick start it I suppose I don' need it. Still, they were nice to have for doing maintenance. I was thinking the Yoshimura spools (which need the adaptors for the ends of the swing arm) and a suitable stand (don't know which one yet). I'll pay for a good stand, I don't want it to break and dump the bike while I'm working on it.

Traffic signal magnet - do these things really work? I had one on my Metro Scooter which was plastic over an aluminum frame and I would have to conclude that often they don't. There were some signals that I could never trip. The CBR won't trip them either but cars seem to do OK. On the box it did say you might need to buy 2 or 3 of them (at $19 a pop?)

Fender eliminator - My uncle used to ride Triumphs back in the late '40s. I remember him telling me that one essential mod was to bob the rear fender. if you've ever seen any of those old bikes in their original form, the fender did go quite a ways down the rear wheel. I could see it getting bent into the wheel. On the CBR though I don't imagine that it would ever be a problem . . but it might look cool especially in conjunction with . . .

Integrated LED tail light - the other day, I bumped one of my rear turn signals off the rubber mount. I was able to put it right back on but I had to ask, style-wise if this is a "sport-bike" couldn't Honda have made it a little more sporty? I guess DOT has a lot to do with it. What's the rules;"If it looks cool on a motorcycle, it must be illeagal"? That sounds about right. Still, a more streamline tail (and who doesn't want a more streamline tail) would look cool. That's government for you and thank god we don't get all we pay for. I remember motorcycles with NO turn signals . . . and leaded gasoline . . . and you only wore a helmet if you were planning on jumping school busses . . . no, I will not let this degenerate into a political rant (I'll leave that to you). Seriously, the breakway feature is nice in that they could likely be remounted after a drop but they would still be thrashed.

Adjustable rearsets - At present I'm comfortable enough with my riding position but I have heard some say that these made a differance in their comfort and ultimatly their control of the bike.

Annodized oil filler cap - Looking cool makes you feel good and these look cool. Don't know how much more I gain with a performance oil filler plug.

Racing Exhaust - along with looking cool there is also sounding cool. One thing that I noticed in many of the reviews of CBR250R that I read was that people thought the stock exhaust was big, heavy and ugly (that's what they said). It might have been one reviewer with the rest just parroting him. If I go with a post market exhaust like Yoshimura how much weight do I lose?

Have I forgotton any of the major accessories? A rear rack to mount the plastic milk crate on? A side car? A scabbard for my Winchester '94 carbine? Solid gold performance shifter tip?

What mods and accessories do you have or think about?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 Old 11-21-2012, 02:01 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,940 Posts
You can't have too many anodized farkles on a motorcycle... just check out the Appearance & Modifications forum for evidence of this.

Seriously though, it's good to see that you spent your money on the really important things, like good riding gear. The rest is mostly bull sh!t stuff you don't need.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MotoMike For This Useful Post:
Eaker605 (02-15-2013), Jme250RA (11-21-2012), Rory_L (11-21-2012)
post #3 of 59 Old 11-21-2012, 02:24 AM

I did the following:

Fender Eliminator: r&G fender eliminator cause the arse was huge and ugly.
Frame Sliders: Yoshi Frame sliders: had the bike for a year haven't dropped it but the sliders give me peace of mind.
Windscreen: Puig, cause the stock was too low and flimsy causing horrible dirty air into my chest and helmet... If anything this would be my minimum change to the Cbr if I got another one for any reason, everything else I can live with
Exhaust: Leo Vince, cause the stock is ugly and weighs 3 times as much and restricts the engine.
Exhaust Hanger: r&g exhaust hanger and blanking plate. I don't plan on having any passengers and this really cleaned up the rear of the bike.

Like I said I only consider the windscreen to be essential but that is just me. That's all I plan to do to this bike. Saving any future Farkle money for the next bike.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ash-Aus For This Useful Post:
Rory_L (11-21-2012)

post #4 of 59 Old 11-21-2012, 03:19 AM

Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,315 Posts
Spend nothing on the bike,

Do some track days with full tuition, costs about $200 per day.

Sent from my mobile phone while driving, waiting for a vigilante Motovlogger to star in his own train wreck.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aufitt For This Useful Post:
don'tpanic (12-10-2012), Rory_L (11-21-2012)
post #5 of 59 Old 11-21-2012, 04:07 AM

Thanked 1,328 Times in 832 Posts
replaced stock beep beep horn with fiamm low tone plug and play,
somewhat louder and deeper [does command more attention]
$17 all up incl postage to australia via amazon.com..

installed yoshi rear step plate kit moving pegs rear 45mm up 30mm
[option up 45] which doesnt seem much but for me and my legs
and general ergonomics this was one small thing my legs, knees,
ankles, feet seemed to be need.. there was always that feeling
of balls of feet too far back on pegs, similar for knee position etc..
anyway, this small change radiated out thru my whole body position
and riding ergonomics, for a much nicer more natural riding feel..

agree that you will become familiar with legs/feet positions, incl when
moving bike around from the saddle.. the seat will conform to your shape
over time, thus lowering your pelvic floor a little,, but this re-shaping
also includes moulding the seat, its sides etc, for all positions you adopt
when in the saddle, including feet down when stopped or moving around..
i found this natural moulding of the seat to my shape changed my position
somewhat, moving my bum back a bit, which together with the yoshi plates
continued that process a bit, resulting in coccyx virtually touching rear stop
together with a more relaxed natural lean forward plus taking more weight
and location of thighs on/in seat, thus better knee etc positioning..
so for 5'7" me, used to a forward oriented riding position, this was
a higher but worthwhile expenditure.. [$84 plus post]

ps, try spending a few minutes at startup deliberately settling into the seat,
going up on your toes, and down again, settling into it the way a dog
spends time settling into its nest... if you do some regular stretching
such as in karate or yoga etc, you will gain even more comfort and
general fit into your saddle and the bike generally..

this is another eg of making yourself better suited to, riding your bike,
a small extension of rational advice thereto of other members..
The Following User Says Thank You to shisoshin For This Useful Post:
Rory_L (11-21-2012)
post #6 of 59 Old 11-21-2012, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
Seriously though, it's good to see that you spent your money on the really important things, like good riding gear. The rest is mostly bull sh!t stuff you don't need.
The week between paying my deposit and taking delivery there must have been a motorcycle accident a day on my normal commute. One, unfortunately, was a fatality. The rest of them it seemed that the bike to the brunt of it as I would usually see the rider (in full gear) at least standing if not walking. It did have some influence on my thinking.

I do pass the piece of a honda (broken fairing from a CBR600RR I think) on the freeway everyday. It reminds me to look out when I'm driving my car and when I'm on the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash-Aus View Post
I did the following:

Frame Sliders: Yoshi Frame sliders: had the bike for a year haven't dropped it but the sliders give me peace of mind.
Windscreen: Puig, cause the stock was too low and flimsy causing horrible dirty air into my chest and helmet... If anything this would be my minimum change to the Cbr if I got another one for any reason, everything else I can live with
Exhaust: Leo Vince, cause the stock is ugly and weighs 3 times as much and restricts the engine.
Those were also my thoughts on the sliders . . . no one really PLANS to drop the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufitt View Post
Spend nothing on the bike,

Do some track days with full tuition, costs about $200 per day.
I've almost guaranteed I won't be making any engine mods for at least a few years . . . by getting the extended warranty. That puts exhaust a little lower on the list. Thanks to this forum, the thought of track day has crossed my mind. I think the closest for me would be Willow Springs in Lancaster CA. which would be quite the adventure since it is 100 miles away at the other end of the county.

To be honest when I first rode this it felt gigantic and super powerful. After a month it feels comfortable and controllable. Will it ever feel small for me? I don't know yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shisoshin View Post
replaced stock beep beep horn with fiamm low tone plug and play,
somewhat louder and deeper [does command more attention]
$17 all up incl postage to australia via amazon.com..

installed yoshi rear step plate kit moving pegs rear 45mm up 30mm
[option up 45] which doesnt seem much but for me and my legs
and general ergonomics this was one small thing my legs, knees,
ankles, feet seemed to be need.. there was always that feeling
of balls of feet too far back on pegs, similar for knee position etc..
anyway, this small change radiated out thru my whole body position
and riding ergonomics, for a much nicer more natural riding feel..

agree that you will become familiar with legs/feet positions, incl when
moving bike around from the saddle.. the seat will conform to your shape
over time, thus lowering your pelvic floor a little,, but this re-shaping
also includes moulding the seat, its sides etc, for all positions you adopt
when in the saddle, including feet down when stopped or moving around..
i found this natural moulding of the seat to my shape changed my position
somewhat, moving my bum back a bit, which together with the yoshi plates
continued that process a bit, resulting in coccyx virtually touching rear stop
together with a more relaxed natural lean forward plus taking more weight
and location of thighs on/in seat, thus better knee etc positioning..
so for 5'7" me, used to a forward oriented riding position, this was
a higher but worthwhile expenditure.. [$84 plus post]

ps, try spending a few minutes at startup deliberately settling into the seat,
going up on your toes, and down again, settling into it the way a dog
spends time settling into its nest... if you do some regular stretching
such as in karate or yoga etc, you will gain even more comfort and
general fit into your saddle and the bike generally..
The horn sounds like a good idea. The rear sets too. Currently, my rides have only been about 20 miles at a time but you remind me of what we used to say in bicycling that where you contact the bike is as important as any other aspect of riding. I don't know yet if I have any particular discomfort in my riding position but I like the fact that there are things that can help since at 50, I don't think my legs are going to grow anymore.

I started taking Tai Chi around the same time as I got this bike and it has been a great help.
post #7 of 59 Old 11-21-2012, 03:38 PM

Garage
How about high coverage insurance for rider & bike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 59 Old 11-21-2012, 04:49 PM

Frame Sliders - ... I'm thinking Yoshimura.
Me too... get them.

A lower seat - ... Saddlemen?
If you need a lower or more comfortable seat, Saddlemen has a good reputation.

Spools - ...
??? I don't know.

Traffic signal magnet - do these things really work?
I've been researching them and in theory, they should... but there are other things you can do like ensure you maximize your magnetic signal by driving directly over the edge of the traffic detection devices. There is a good link here: http://www.wikihow.com/Trigger-Green-Traffic-Lights When I have some excess cash, I will buy one.

Fender eliminator - ...
There may be some advantage in the stock fender. For example, it holds reflectors which enhance your night time visibility. It also provides a sort of a rear bumper. I got hit from behind while stopped at a red light and the guy bent up my license plate , pushed my bike forward about 2 feet and hurt my back a little but otherwise I was fine. Without that stock fender, it may have been a little worse on the bike and me. The guy was already stopped behind me and while texting, saw the brake lights turn off on the truck in front of me and apparently in the excitement of his smartphone, forgot there was a motorcycle between him and the truck. He took his foot off the brake on his automatic car and hit me before I moved.
Either way, don't go with a Hotbodies. I had one and took it off because it is junk. Go with Yoshimura if you have to have one.

Integrated LED tail light - . I remember motorcycles with NO turn signals . . . and leaded gasoline . . . and you only wore a helmet if you were planning on jumping school busses...
I remember those days too but roads were less crowded and the only distraction they had was the radio. The turn signals/running lamps out on the sides help a driver estimate your distance and speed, especially at night. I've thought about going cleaner too, but opted instead for safety. Nobody looks cool when they're splattered on asphalt. Never forget that you are approximately 20-30 times as likely to die on your motorcycle as on your car.

Adjustable rearsets - ...
Sure

Annodized oil filler cap - Looking cool makes you feel good and these look cool. Don't know how much more I gain with a performance oil filler plug...

Really? If you have excess cash, I could use some.

Racing Exhaust - ...If I go with a post market exhaust like Yoshimura how much weight do I lose?
Not enough to warrant the cost of a muffler. The whole bike weighs 33 lbs. You might lose 1 or 2 on a carbon fiber can but... you could also just eat a salad for a lot less or paint your heat shield like I did. It helps take care of the ugly factor.

Have I forgotton any of the major accessories? A rear rack to mount the plastic milk crate on? A side car? A scabbard for my Winchester '94 carbine? Solid gold performance shifter tip?
Yes, go with the scabbard. Rear rack if it's your grocery getter.

What mods and accessories do you have or think about?
Tank bag so everything you need is right in front of you. I have a Cortech and love it.

Get rim reflectors, LED lighting like underglows or similar, a bright and highly reflective jacket or vest to go over your jacket and the same for your helmet. GPS/smartphone mount? If you don't have ABS, ditch your bike and upgrade.

2012 CBR250RA all black w/ ABS, blackened muffler heat guard, P3 brake flashers TS+.
Green: reflective rim decals, LED lighting, custom "to punish and enslave..." lettering.

Riding gear: Icon Contra Mil-Spec Hi-Viz & HJC CL-16 helmet

Planned: Upgrade to 2017 FZ-09 w/ ABS

My MPG via fuelly:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to atakacs For This Useful Post:
Rory_L (11-21-2012)
post #9 of 59 Old 11-21-2012, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

In my opinion, I won't do anything to the bike that doesn't have some sort of performance benefit. Rider training or track days are your best bet as they will follow you throughout your biking career. Before any horsepower related mods, I would recommend upgrading the front suspension with racetech springs and emulators. The G2 throttle tube upgrade is a really good one too.

Everyone has the right to be offended but just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right!
The Following User Says Thank You to Jme250RA For This Useful Post:
Rory_L (11-21-2012)
post #10 of 59 Old 11-21-2012, 07:36 PM

Garage
magnet ??? seems it would pick up road trash...

sign me up for the Winchester shooting time love to shoot
The Following User Says Thank You to katedwolf For This Useful Post:
Rory_L (11-21-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page