CBR250 Storage, Helmet & Bike Locks, Exhaust - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 02-17-2013, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

CBR250 Storage, Helmet & Bike Locks, Exhaust

I have a recently purchased CBR250 that came with an extra exhaust by NJT Racing whose label says "not for highway use". Can anyone tell me why - presumably noise and/or heat related? The stock exhaust has a protective cover, presumably to protect the passenger's leg but the racing exhaust does not? I do not race and am not one that wants everyone in the area to know me by the annoying, high decibel noise generated by my bike (I live in Chiang Mai, Thailand) but do like the look of the stainless steel exhaust which is well crafted. Best advice please - install or sell the exhaust?

There are a few things I am not fond of on the bike, one being the total lack of storage. I checked with a Honda dealer and there are no such accessories by Honda for the bike. I want to carry for aways of a week or two, so a backpack only is not sufficient. Nor do I want anything that makes mounting/dismounting the bike more difficult (ie. swing over of the leg past the seat). Suggestions?

Last points are the absence of a good place to lock my helmet - I recently had a brand new one stolen off my 125cc scooter while parked at a Wat. And the best way to lock up the bike for a day or two?

Oh, and I want to redo the seat which is very uncomfortable for long rides - is there an after market seat available in Thailand, or is custom the way to go? For custom, does anyone have a design that I should consider given my big, farang butt?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-18-2013, 03:12 AM

Send me the exhaust for close inspection.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-18-2013, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply. I have attached two photos of the exhaust. I look forward to your comments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130217_172037.jpg (172.3 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg 20130217_171939.jpg (124.3 KB, 70 views)

post #4 of 10 Old 02-18-2013, 02:06 PM

That exhaust looks nice. Really though, it's a matter of personal preference. I'm sure it will be louder than your stock exhaust, so bolt it up and see whether or not it's too loud for your interest. As for the "not for road use" on it, most companies throw that on there so that liability is transferred to the owner as they don't want to comply with all the possible and changing laws for every country/state. Very few are "street legal."

As for the helmet, my bike came with a cable strap under the seat that attaches to the little bar inside the "underseat storage area." You run it through the loop on your helmet strap and attach it under the seat, replace the passenger seat and done. Helmet locked onto your bike. If you don't have the strap, I'm sure they're readily available from the dealer.

Locking it with a cable lock or U-lock to something is best, but I just use a disc brake lock. Not all that effective on our light little bikes, though. Two people could easily pick it up and throw it in their truck and be gone.

As for the storage, I'm no help, I just use my backpack when needed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Turtlebone For This Useful Post:
Paul Hen (02-18-2013)
post #5 of 10 Old 02-18-2013, 03:33 PM

Thanked 1,538 Times in 790 Posts
Welcome aboard Matey.

post #6 of 10 Old 02-23-2013, 09:07 PM

I was on partzilla and saw they have the wire helmet set for under $6. I also read elsewhere that this is too short the be useful. This attaches the the helmet hook in the storage space that comes standard on all CBR 250's .

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detai...6-KAZ-780.html

When I was at the International motorcycle show in Cleveland, Ohio a few weeks ago I picked up a "helmetlok" from an Aus company for under $20 which I am hoping will be sufficient. This is small enough to store in the compartment. I am hoping to attach my jacket and helmet all in one on the added cord it comes with.

http://www.rockycreekdesigns.com.au

ImageUploadedByMO Free1361668032.540971.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1361667942.721006.jpg (319.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1361667995.599568.jpg (129.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1361668020.116575.jpg (29.9 KB, 0 views)
post #7 of 10 Old 02-23-2013, 09:30 PM

Under $6 is the wire helmet set that attaches to the helmet loop located on the side of the storage area. I read that they are very short and not the best for helmet locking.

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/searc...OLS/parts.html

At the international motorcycle show in Cleveland, Ohio a few weeks ago I picked up a "Helmetlok" from an Aus vender for under $20. I hope to attach my helmet and jacket to the cable.

http://www.rockycreekdesigns.com.au/

Hope this helps!
ImageUploadedByMO Free1361669409.509527.jpg
post #8 of 10 Old 02-23-2013, 10:13 PM

I love my helmet. Since I have full face I put a key ring on the metal loops of the helmet to give me a little more to work with. For $45 they send you the lock, 2 keys, and the 2 bolts to replace the ones that get taken out. satoracing.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2013-02-23-20-00-19.jpg (71.0 KB, 101 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Jeep Patriot
2012 Honda CBR250R
2002 Buick Regal
post #9 of 10 Old 02-25-2013, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaker605 View Post
I love my helmet. Since I have full face I put a key ring on the metal loops of the helmet to give me a little more to work with. For $45 they send you the lock, 2 keys, and the 2 bolts to replace the ones that get taken out. satoracing.com
Haha, I was about to suggest this as well. Thinking about ordering one myself.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-05-2013, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all for your replies. Sorry to be so late with the thanks but I was confounded logging in, finally realizing the space is needed in user name which I have never seen before.

I have no cable strap but can just squeeze the Dring onto the clip under the rear seat.

I put the racing exhaust on and for sure louder but I believe bike speedier. Bonus to the noise which I would never normally inflict on others is that here in Thailand where too many have no respect for other vehicles. the noise makes all wary and me much safer!

Now before going on a trip through the mountains from Chiang Mai ultimately to Mae Hong Son, I am looking to have a bracket fabricated such that I can carry two medium sized backpacks as saddle bags.

After trying several bike shops, it was not until the third Honda shop where the head mechanic installed spacers and raised my handlebars 6 cm so much better for me.

Next will be customizing my seat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page