Helibars . . . ridden. - Page 3 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 55 Old 04-26-2013, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

At lock the master cylinder is inside the stock windscreen with surprising clearance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 55 Old 04-30-2013, 01:47 AM

Mine is close, and adding the approximate rise/pull of these would sem to interfere. I guess I'll find out soon. I'm at work now and UPS tracking says package delivered three hours ago to "customer woman." (That must be my wife, I think.)
post #23 of 55 Old 05-01-2013, 01:06 AM

At full left lock with stock handlebars, the cap screw on the right "mirror mount" threaded boss on the master cylinder is only about 1/4" from touching the wind screen. Now that I have had a chance to examine the Helibars, I can see why they would not cause that same area to hit the wind screen, and I'm not terribly happy with why.

On their website it states the Helibars raise the grip 1.5" taller than stock, and 1.25" rearward. This is a fairly tiny amount, but apparently the most that could be afforded while retaining the stock cables, wires and hose. But to say that it raises the hand grip even 1.5" is misleading. The distance from the top of the clamp portion to the bottom of the handlebar is identical to stock. The only way that they can claim it raises the grip by 1.5" is because they have changed the angle of the grip. It is the stock height at the clamp, but rises to about 1.5" at the bar end weight. Not only does this not give an effective rise of 1.5" overall, but something less, it will alter the angle of the wrist to be more "palms out." How much this might change the ergonomics for better or worse I won't know until I completely install them, and hope I don't void any return with normal installation scrapes and scuffs if I do not like the bars.

I talked to them on the phone today and they said that actually my observations were completely correct, in that the entire grip is not raised 1.5" and that they do disclose the grip angle change in the installation book. I let them know that this is the type of information that needs to be disclosed on the web page, before someone orders, because 1.5" rise is pretty small, and to receive them only to find out the effective overall rise is less than that, along with altering the grip angle which is not mentioned on the web page is fairly misleading. It is information which might persuade a customer to decide not to purchase it.

I'll give them a try, but it seems like a good bit of work to achieve an advantage which is less than they claim.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Turbo DV8 For This Useful Post:
cbr9927 (07-07-2013), Pro (05-02-2013)

post #24 of 55 Old 05-01-2013, 01:06 AM

Has anybody installed the helibars with an aftermarket Puig or Zero Gravity Sport touring screen?
post #25 of 55 Old 05-02-2013, 08:56 PM

~~
Finally got to go on a few short rides with these on. For reference, I'm 5'6" so I might have had more induced lean than other people with the stock bars.

So far, the position of the bars is more comfortable. Seated position is noticeably more upright. Obviously, taller people will notice this effect less than shorter people will.

A thing to note is that the bars have a sharper backwards angle than the stock bars. When I first hopped on the bike with the new bars, they felt really strange to me. However, I'll have to say that it makes the ride feel more sporty in a way. Almost like it's easier to manipulate the bars. It also seems like I can get more finger on the levers with this increased angle.
~~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Soulbreeze For This Useful Post:
Slash2 (05-03-2013)
post #26 of 55 Old 05-03-2013, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Finally spent some quality WOT time on the CBR. The Helibars are really comfortable. The more I ride with them, the more I like them. No complaints, won't be switching back until never, when I plan on selling it.
post #27 of 55 Old 05-05-2013, 12:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo DV8 View Post
Has anybody installed the helibars with an aftermarket Puig or Zero Gravity Sport touring screen?
I've got the ZG ST screen and was curious about this myself. The screen has a cutout where the stock handlebars fit in nicely at full lock. Hard to guess what effect the new geometry might have.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #28 of 55 Old 05-16-2013, 04:11 PM
Kit

I got mine in yesterday and will be installing them today... Wish me luck.
post #29 of 55 Old 05-17-2013, 01:07 AM

I installed both the Honda touring windscreen (from Thailand) and the Helibars yesterday. I rode for some 50 miles today and really liked the setup. The Helibars made most of the difference. It does feel strange at first. I turned 9,500 miles today. With the new windscreen on, the wind hit me at the chin. I should point out that I am 5ft 6in.
post #30 of 55 Old 05-17-2013, 01:29 AM

One thing to warn about is, the instructions could have been written better in one area. At the very beginning, it states, "Torque all hardware to manufacturer specifications." Later, it details the process for installing the right (or left?) HeliBar first, doesn't state a torque value for the pinch bolt, then details how to install the opposite HeliBar. Only at the very end of that direction is the admonition to torque the pinch bolts to, IIRC, 14 ft-lb. But having gotten all the way through the installation instruction for the first side, with no torque stated, I resorted to using "manufacturers specification," which I took to mean Honda's, since they had not stated anything yet in the instructions heretofore. But Honda's torque, per the manual, is 20 ft-lb. I kept tightening it, and could tell by feel that I was beginning to exceed what the material could safely handle. I quit before I felt the wrench click, loosened, tried again, and halted prematurely once again. Only after reading all the way to the end of the instruction of the second bar installation did I see the 14 ft-lb spec for the HeliBars. So, if one reads logically from beginning, following step by step, and it is prefaced with the "Torque all hardware to manufacturer specifications," it is likely the pinch bolts will be over-torqued, since no other torque is mentioned until too late.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page