Yamaha R6 shock into CBR250(how I did it) - Page 11 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 107 Old 01-14-2016, 08:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR Blaize View Post
I used a bench grinder to shave off some width of the metal sleeve that goes through the linkage. Its hardened steel so it takes a lot to get through it but you don't have to take to much off. And as for the sleeves that go into the shock, I just used some aluminum tube. I drilled out the center to 10mm and then cut off a ~3 inch section. I put that into a drill and then used sand paper to sand down the outside. It took quite a while to get the right OD but I think it is a good method if you can't get anything else to fit.
Didn't think about shaving off some of the sleeve in the linkage. In that case, I might cut off some of the sleeve with my dremel and finish it off with a file for a nice fit. That's probably a lot easier with the tools I have. We'll see when I get there. For reducing the lower mount hole to 10mm, I got the sleeve from McMaster-Carr, and it's a really tight fit. Thanks for your input. This is a fun project for my bike.
CBR Blaize likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 107 Old 04-26-2016, 01:43 PM

Garage
I may try this when the riding season is over, my girl rides the bike more than I do, but she does want to do a few track days with me in the future, this might be a good upgrade for relatively low cost.

If you are scared then don't get on the bike because you won't enjoy riding with fear as your passenger...
post #103 of 107 Old 04-26-2016, 05:32 PM

If anyone near Indianapolis wants one of these for free, they can come pick it up.

post #104 of 107 Old 06-01-2017, 07:17 AM

Garage
I finally did this 3 months ago, and it was worlds different on the track. Also added some RaceTech fork springs and some valve adjusters. Instead of changing out the top, I drilled out the frame to accommodate the R6 mount bolt diameter since I never plan on putting the stock one back on. If anyone is interested I can do a video on it, as I just bought a 2012 CBR250R and already have an R6 rear and a set of RaceTech (for my weight) springs ready when I go to pick the bike up. Also have adjustable rearsets and new clipons.
dilop likes this.
post #105 of 107 Old 07-14-2018, 01:12 AM

Alright. I'm necroing this thread since I'll be doing this mod in the next 2 weeks.

Got a Yammie R6 shock on the way and picking it up next week.

I can't order from McMaster-Carr since they don't ship to Canada unless you already have a business account with them or you belong to a school. So I have to hit up Fastenal or another alternative shop for the sleeve bearings to reduce the lower shock mount eyelets from 12mm to 10mm.

As for the upper shock mount I'm thinking I might do what xbhobx did with enlarging the upper mount to 12mm since I don't forsee myself going back to stock but I'm not sure how to go about this. I've tapped things before but never something like this since I'm the fleshy meat popsicle wrapped around a metal frame not the other way around. (ie. for cars "eh duct tape will fix that" while for motorcycles it's like "if I don't put this plastic rivet in perfectly the engine will blow up and kill me").

Any other things I need? Any other caveats I should be aware of for people who have done this? Note that I'm trying to do the "no cut" method here.

READY TO >> RACE
post #106 of 107 Old 07-14-2018, 09:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tier1 View Post
Any other things I need? Any other caveats I should be aware of for people who have done this? Note that I'm trying to do the "no cut" method here.
To extend the bolt for the upper mount I took the bracket off the CBR's shock and ground off the welds of the bolt head to remove it. Then I bought a longer hex head bolt and nut that I fed into the bracket. I then welded the bolt head to the bracket. To make clearance for the shock you will have to grind down the bolt head. That was a real pain because the bracket interferes so much. To space the bolt I just used some round stock I had lying around.

Make sure when buying a bolt that you get a high grade bolt like 5 or 8, 8 would be best. And get a locking nut to go on top. I would suggest either a distorted thread or nylock nut.

Goodluck with youre modding! Upgrading the suspension makes a huge difference on this bike! Do note though that this will end up raising the back end of the bike slightly and make the turning a bit quicker.

2012 CBR250R Black
Mods:
Racetech springs and emulators, Yamaha R6 shock, Yoshi Rearset Risers, Babyface GP Shift adapter, EBC HH Sintered Front and Rear Brake Pads, CBR600RR pegs, Mirror delete with CBR600RR block offs, Ebay Bar-end mirror, Red LED dash, The2Wheels levers, Homemade Fender Eliminator, LED Blinkers, Tank pads and grips, CBR300R seat, Spider Peak red Grips, Vortex Clip ons, DFC, Delkevic 14' Slip on, Spiegler Braided Front Brake Line,Black Rims
Soon to be mods:
Big Bore?
post #107 of 107 Old 07-15-2018, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR Blaize View Post
Goodluck with youre modding! Upgrading the suspension makes a huge difference on this bike! Do note though that this will end up raising the back end of the bike slightly and make the turning a bit quicker.
Believe me, I know what a dialled in suspension feels like. Too many people I see think that the stiffer the suspension the better it is but I know that in reality you're trying to maintain as much contact as possible with the ground so that you can put power to the ground rather than having the tire "skip" on bumps and wasting that power. Originally I wanted to get a CRF450L and SuMo it so I could make use of the longer travel since I found myself bottoming out quite a bit on the stock weeBR suspension (I'm not even fat either, only ~155 lb but the fork preload is too far when I have a full tank of gas and am sitting on it, and when I brake it dives and I feel like it bottoms out).

What amount of sag/preload are people running on their bikes? Am I crazy in thinking that 30% sag on the street is a good setting?

Just to confirm though the upper bolt threading is M10x1.25 (fine threading) like I saw mentioned somewhere else and I want it to be about 40mm long?

Obviously I'm going to be looking for either grade 10.9 or 12.9 steel bolts because I don't want the bolt to yield and fail on me when I'm riding but if I beef this part up is there another part that's supposed to take any extraload and be the "sacrificial" part (or maybe this is me thinking too far into it and trying to be smarter than the engineers who designed the thing).

READY TO >> RACE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page