Front and Rear Sprockets - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 57 Old 08-18-2013, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Front and Rear Sprockets

Hello All,
I was wondering about a sprocket change. someone mentioned to me that i would like the performance of my bike if i went one size smaller in the front, 3 sizes bigger in the rear. what does this mean and what all does it take to have everything working properly?

OK i have been reading and there is alot said about this subject. my concern is if i go on the highway i need to be able to do 80 at a rpm that isnt going to be to close to redline. i also want to have a quick reaction time in the city streets when people drive like im invisible. I do well with the back as it is stock but if there is a better way to both worlds im looing for then i want to do this. im replacing the exhaust and airfilter and would like to know where to go with the sprocket if anywhere. im not looking for a race bike im just looking for better outcome to what i have now if possible. alot of mixed emotions on this subjuect but thhis is why i came to join the forum. oh and i only way 140lbs so the bike doesnt even know someones on it lol

Last edited by Bobby; 08-18-2013 at 01:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 Old 08-18-2013, 12:56 AM

What do you expect, when you change the sprockets. Faster acceleration, lower engine rpm's at highway speeds, increased mpg, etc, etc?????

If your Waiting on me, You're Late.

1999 Black Honda VQR234se 43,000+ Miles
2001 Red Kawasaki ZR-7s 18,000 Miles

A Service Manual Each, + CBR250R.
post #3 of 57 Old 08-18-2013, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

Garage
According to the calculator if i did this setup my over all top speed will drop. but your saying my accel will go up. So you either want over all top speed or quick accel to a lower speed max?

post #4 of 57 Old 08-18-2013, 01:25 AM

Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,315 Posts
Just put a 13t on the front.

Everything will be more efficient, bike wont bog down, and you'll see a higher top speed anyway as the 250 cant pull stock gearing anywhere but with a 40kg midget aboard, down a very steep hill with the planets aligned and holding your tongue just right.

DickyDck likes this.

Sent from my mobile phone while driving, waiting for a vigilante Motovlogger to star in his own train wreck.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aufitt For This Useful Post:
Bobby (08-18-2013)
post #5 of 57 Old 08-18-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufitt View Post

Everything will be more efficient, bike wont bog down, and you'll see a higher top speed anyway as the 250 cant pull stock gearing anywhere but with a 40kg midget aboard, down a very steep hill with the planets aligned and holding your tongue just right.
Aufitt, I've always wondered how your track bike is set up, and what course you're racing in. Did you ever a post or thread on that?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #6 of 57 Old 08-18-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufitt View Post
^+1. Puts peak horsepower at 80mph. Going down a tooth in the front is a common first move. It you're still wanting more, you can add 2 teeth in the rear without needing another chain and still won't redline until 93mph.

C'mon, sko sko sko!
post #7 of 57 Old 08-18-2013, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
im replacing the airfilter and exhaust, would i even need to change any sprockets?
post #8 of 57 Old 08-18-2013, 11:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby View Post
im replacing the airfilter and exhaust, would i even need to change any sprockets?
*facepalm*

If you want a quicker bike, you should of bought a quicker bike.

Air filter which is stock is fine, so if you're talking about a K&N you should look around the website and see what others think about them. Topics been made about it.

And exhaust isn't going to exactly give you more power, it may give you a tiny bit of power but nothing worth the $$ it cost. You need to go full out with fuel controller, etc.

So, I don't know what you goal in mind is, so its kind of funny when you say you're changing your air filter and exhaust and would you need sprockets. Its a 250, why try to make it more than it is.. If you're going to put that much money into it, shoulda went bigger.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arrethul For This Useful Post:
HondaTech2010 (01-16-2014), prof_stack (08-18-2013)
post #9 of 57 Old 08-18-2013, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,643 Times in 1,938 Posts
Quote:
1) As others have previously suggested, install a 13T front sprocket. Forget about changing the rear sprocket... you don't want or need to gear this bike that low for street/road use. Changing to a 13T sprocket up front is the most significant single improvement you can do to this bike, and for less than $25 to boot.

2) Stick with the OEM Honda Air Filter... it works just fine.

3) If you want to go with with an aftermarket exhaust, fine... just do yourself a favor and stay away from the the $150 - $200 junk that is being peddled out there... get a quality built unit from FMF or Akropovic. Just don't expect huge power gains from an aftermarket exhaust by itself... it's not going to happen.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
The Following User Says Thank You to MotoMike For This Useful Post:
Aufitt (08-19-2013)
post #10 of 57 Old 08-19-2013, 02:17 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to OzHonda
Quote:
Hello All,
I was wondering about a sprocket change. someone mentioned to me that i would like the performance of my bike if i went one size smaller in the front, 3 sizes bigger in the rear. what does this mean and what all does it take to have everything working properly?
I put a 13T on front, quicker acceleration and can still can maintain HWY speeds with ease @ 6500-7000RPM.

It's a whole new beast, and still get ~340km/tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
3) If you want to go with with an aftermarket exhaust, fine... just do yourself a favor and stay away from the the $150 - $200 junk that is being peddled out there... get a quality built unit from FMF or Akropovic. Just don't expect huge power gains from an aftermarket exhaust by itself... it's not going to happen.
There are Musarri Slip-On's that are re-badged Screaming Demon pipes for $199 I'm looking at. So you're saying they're no good?

YouTube:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current: 2003 CBR600RR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sold:

Ride carefully - You are invisible.

Mods:

Feb, 2014 Photo of the month winner

Last edited by OzHonda; 08-19-2013 at 02:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page