A Fuelly.com call to arms! - Page 14 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #131 of 150 Old 08-26-2017, 10:22 PM

Very cool bike. Very fast top speed for a 50cc. My PCX150 can barely top 70 mph.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #132 of 150 Old 08-27-2017, 01:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
Very cool bike. Very fast top speed for a 50cc. My PCX150 can barely top 70 mph.
The Dream is a Thai model with a 100 cc engine from Japan, though the design dates back to the original 50 cc Honda Cub of the '60s. The current equivalent uses a fuel injected 110 cc engine from China. They weigh little more than 200 pounds, probably about 50 or more pounds less than the PCX150 (which sells for nearly twice the price here). Being so light it is quite lively up to about 40 mph and easily reaches 50 mph. It tops out at a little over 65 mph, but takes a little while to get there.

there are old motorcyclists and bold motorcyclists,
but you seldom meet an old bold motorcyclist

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #133 of 150 Old 08-28-2017, 08:03 AM

Location: Saint Charles, IL. A really nice little far-west Chicago suburb in northeast Illinois.
Garage
Thanks to this thread, I just signed up for a Fuelly account and registered my '11 CBR250R. So far I've only filled up twice, but I averaged 62.8mpg. I was aiming/hoping for 65+ so I'm off to a good start. Almost 80% of that tank was suburban Chicago commutes of 15 miles or less. Hopefully I'll get higher next time since I did a lot of rural cornfield touring on country roads at moderate,steady speeds the last couple weekends.

Also, I really like reading this forum, I've learned at least one new tidbit of info every time I've been here so far. I can't say that about too many forums these days.

-dreaming of beautiful weather and empty roads....

post #134 of 150 Old 08-28-2017, 09:01 AM

Running a full synthetic 5W-30 cycle oil can help also, as will running 87 without ethanol if you can get it.

Don't be afraid to spin the engine up once it's fully warm. Accelerating briskly and shifting at torque peak, instead of accelerating gently, until you are at cruising speed usually nets the best economy.

We should really start a new thread with economy tips. Forum members sendler and greenaero are both FE experts, and forgot more about getting max economy than most of us know...

I had friends that lived in St. Charles when i lived in Mt. Prospect, IL, a few years back. Now in S Central WI. Less cars, more tractors on the road.

Last edited by jkv357; 08-28-2017 at 09:39 AM.
post #135 of 150 Old 08-28-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv357 View Post
usually nets the best economy.
It depends if you really want to be a hypermiler and break 90 mpgUS with the CBR250R. Using 90% of the available torque at an rpm just under the torque peak gives the best brake specific fuel consumption. The main torque peak is around 5,700. So I have increased the final gearing to 15/ 36. It may be possible to get a 35 on the rear now. And there is another torque bump at 3,700. Which I use. "It only burns fuel every time it goes pop". (Craig Vetterism). That doesn't mean 90% throttle at those rpms since lugging will occur. Any time the engine is above 6,000, it really starts making power and sucking gas.

The first basic hypermiling tip to keep in mind is: whenever you touch the brakes, you just wasted gas. So in other words you put in too much power and speed and should have been coasting (Gliding) up to the next red light or stop sign instead of racing up only to slam on the brakes as in sporty riding.
The next important concept goes to the BSFC map. Which for all ICE engines shows that high loads just below the torque peak offers the best efficiency since you are not wasting power to create intake vacuum. But most vehicles are way too powerful to operate at high engine load without going way too fast. Even the 250R. So you use PulseNGlide. Alternately using high load, and clutch in coasting especially on the highway. Makes a huge difference. Especially on an undergeared bike like a Ninja250 that is running at 7,500 on the highway. With the aero mods and Michelin tires on my CBR250R i can get 5:8 second pulse to glide ratios. And average 107 mpgUS on my commute. And 99 mpgUS in cold rainy weather on my IronButt 1,000.
Hypermiling is the new form of street competition. Just as technical and techniquel as street racing and Much safer and greener.
Schroeder likes this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sendler For This Useful Post:
jkv357 (08-28-2017)
post #136 of 150 Old 08-28-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
The first basic hypermiling tip to keep in mind is: whenever you touch the brakes, you just wasted gas. So in other words you put in too much power and speed and should have been coasting (Gliding) up to the next red light or stop sign instead of racing up only to slam on the brakes as in sporty riding.
So many people don't even consider this. All then cagers here just stay on the throttle and hit the brakes at the lights. Stupid. We're wasting so much fuel simply because we don't think about it. On the other hand even if most people were aware of that they would still stay on the throttle because it's more "fun".

My computer is fighting Aids and Cancer in it's idle time, and yours?

post #137 of 150 Old 08-28-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv357 View Post
We should really start a new thread with economy tips.
We had this thread.
https://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-p...reet-bike.html

post #138 of 150 Old 08-28-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Didn't see that.

Thanks.
post #139 of 150 Old 08-29-2017, 08:23 AM

Location: Saint Charles, IL. A really nice little far-west Chicago suburb in northeast Illinois.
Garage
My intention is not to hypermile, but I would like to average about 60-65 mpg if possible. I have a built-in disadvantage to that right now, as I've got about 245 pounds attached to my 6'-1" frame. I'm not a big obese Jabba the Hut, but rather more like a linebacker who hasn't been to a gym in a decade or so haha. I'm working on shedding about 30 more of those pounds, and this little beastie is good motivation to help me with that. I applaud you guys who do get the incredible mileage though, the self-control and discipline it must take to accomplish those numbers are admirable.

-dreaming of beautiful weather and empty roads....
post #140 of 150 Old 08-29-2017, 09:19 AM

Another myth I can bust. Added mass affects rolling resistance but this is a small fraction of the drag on a motorcycle which is primarily aerodynamic. So adding mass to a vehicle only really hurts the efficiency whenever you touch the brakes. And it can actually improve the effectiveness of PulseNGlide.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page