130/70 rear tire - Page 3 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 23 Old 04-30-2014, 12:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by reesman View Post
Putting that larger tire on a 4 inch rim is a death wish. Good luck.
Putting a 150 on this bike isn't a death wish. IMHO that is pretty dang funny.

Many people have ran 150's on this bike for a lot of miles, including myself. I know for sure the PR3 I have on is better than any 140 made for this bike. Then again, I'm a rain rider, so my main focus is wet grip and longevity.

But yeah saying its a death wish is funny, because if I died from it then guess who my family can sue? The Honda Dealer for telling me the 140 on this bike is pointless and go to a 150. When I asked a quote for tires, he quoted me on 150's and I just told him the model of the bike and that is when we got into the tire discussion. Also, a BMW/Dacati/Triumph dealer installed my 150 and they even said there is no risk of putting a 150 on a 4 inch rim. They said going to a 160 would cause issues, but ofc I don't wanna go to 160, I chose 150 because that is what the PR3/PR4's are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 23 Old 04-30-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufitt View Post
Cant seem to buy IRC's here, Pirelli & Bridgestone have the performance tyre market to themselves (and they make us pay thru the nose).
Thats too bad, if you had a chance to try the IZ-003, i know youd love them. So sticky its ridiculous, especially for the first 400 kilometers or so.
post #23 of 23 Old 04-30-2014, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,647 Times in 1,941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrethul View Post
Putting a 150 on this bike isn't a death wish. IMHO that is pretty dang funny.

Many people have ran 150's on this bike for a lot of miles, including myself. I know for sure the PR3 I have on is better than any 140 made for this bike. Then again, I'm a rain rider, so my main focus is wet grip and longevity.

But yeah saying its a death wish is funny, because if I died from it then guess who my family can sue? The Honda Dealer for telling me the 140 on this bike is pointless and go to a 150. When I asked a quote for tires, he quoted me on 150's and I just told him the model of the bike and that is when we got into the tire discussion. Also, a BMW/Dacati/Triumph dealer installed my 150 and they even said there is no risk of putting a 150 on a 4 inch rim. They said going to a 160 would cause issues, but ofc I don't wanna go to 160, I chose 150 because that is what the PR3/PR4's are.
The people who work at dealerships will always have their personal opinions (which they love to push) regarding various aspects of motorcycles, particularly when it comes to parts & accessories and service related issues. What's interesting is how often a lot of these personal opinions completely contradict what the manufacturers of these products recommend and advise*... in this case of rear tire sizing, it's as if the people working behind the parts or service counters at these dealerships know better (or know so much more ) than the combined engineering staffs at Honda and Michelin (or any of the other major bike and tire manufacturers).

Almost without exception, the motorcycle and tire manufacturers strongly advise, or warn against deviating from specified OEM tire sizes where their products are concerned. And no, it's not "just what their lawyers make them say"... it's not only based on real safety issues, but it's also about achieving optimum performance from their products.

These manufacturers don't spend millions of dollars on research & development and ongoing testing because they have nothing better to do with their money, or they really just like the idea of their corporate logos looking cool on the bodywork of MotoGP, Moto2, and Moto3 machines, or for Monday morning bragging rights... despite what some of these same 'guys' behind the parts and service counters at the local dealership will boast about, there is much more to it than that for companies like Honda and Michelin and their competitors.

* A good example of this contradictory advise are these Honda dealers who tell new owners of the CBR250R that the Valve Clearance Inspection is not necessary until 18,000 miles, because they've only had to adjust "a few of them"... so they are basically telling their customers to disregard Honda's Maintenance Schedule as far as the VCI is concerned, and just roll the dice and hope that the customer's new bike is not among the "few" that do require valve clearance adjustments. Sorry, but that kind of advise is far from what most would consider good customer service... it's actually pretty lousy service, in my opinion.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page