Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Less grip on track than road

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  jkv357 
#1 ·
Just got back from my second track day, which was wet. During the 3 sighting laps i felt the rear squirming all over the place with the tinyest of lean. and the ABS kicking in really easily, im sure i had less grip on the track than i did on the road under similar conditions, is that normal in the wet?!

Result was i low sided (im fine) on 1st lap after the sighting laps, damaging the kick stand sensor and bringing an abrupt end to the day. Will be trying to bodge it back to functional for another ive booked in 2 days then fix it proper after that.

Tyres are avon roadrider if that makes a difference

#2 · (Edited)
Something sounds wrong, the rear squirming, abs kicking in and on first lap and you crashed?

Hopefully not using the rear Brake? (sorry but have to ask)
Road tyres on a wet track are pretty good,
with smooth control inputs, no weight on the bars, and good BP, wet track days are great fun.

Your coaches are the only ones that will know what happened.

Reactions: jkv357
#4 ·
Aside from weather events, I always check who has used the track in the lead up to events.
Historic and Drift cars are the worst, and if the V8 Supercars have been there its just a sea of rubber and debris on every last square metre for weeks.

Lots of bikes are great for cleaning up a defined racing line.

#7 · (Edited)
It does seem odd to me also. It may be that you were going faster and pushing harder than you thought you were.

If the track was wet, it's pretty hard to judge a difference unless you have ridden quickly on the street in similar conditions.

On the track if you get off the racing line you will run into "marbles", or balled-up rubber, left from cars and will lose traction.

Though a lot more consistent and safer than the street, there can be corners on the track that are known as slick or get "greasy" in certain conditions.

Give it another shot on a better day and ease into a comfortable pace. It can be easy to get sucked into going too fast for your skill level and experience if you try to stick with more experienced riders as they pass you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.