Just ordered a K&N air filter. - Page 2 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 Old 06-26-2014, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalap View Post
Polar bear killers.

How dare you.

A little $60 air filter, and people get upset over it. But but but what HP increase do you expect off that, huh, HUH?!?

Er none mate, it's a little $60 air filter.
Hey, no one is stopping you from pissing away your $60... if it makes you feel good spending money on an inferior product, go for it.

To me it's a $60 air filter which has proved itself to be a piece of crap, one that does a really good job of allowing dirt into your engine. Been there, done that. The $10 OEM Honda air filter is far superior at trapping dirt on the outside of the filter, which is all an air filter needs to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 06-26-2014, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Banned

And the IRC tyres are simply the best on the planet too. We know, we know.

Living in the desert, where the sand is like talcum powder, like yourself, it is advisable to max filtration.

Last edited by Dalap; 06-27-2014 at 12:43 AM.
post #13 of 18 Old 06-27-2014, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Banned

What is good about such reputable brands such as K&N and DNA is the information they list with regards to testing.

K+N HA2511:

http://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/HA-2511.pdf

137.1 cfm @1.5 inH20
Filtration results also listed.

DNA P-H2S11-01:

New DNA High Performance filter P-H2S11-01 for the Honda CBR 250 2011 | DNA Filters Ltd.
Honda | DNA Filters Ltd.

The filtering efficiency is extremely high at 98-99% filtering efficiency, with 4 layers of DNAŽ Cotton.
The flow of this New DNA Fcd filter is high, +29,50% more than the HONDA stock paper filter!
DNA Fcd air filter flow: 140,10 CFM (Cubic feet per minute) @1,5”H2O corrected @ 25degrees Celsius
Honda stock paper filter: 108,80 CFM (Cubic feet per minute) @1,5”H2O corrected @ 25degrees Celsius

Decent reviews on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/HA-2511-High-Performance-Replacement-Filter/product-reviews/B007PYIGTG/ref=cm_cr_pr_btm_link_next_2/187-3870968-1990354?ie=UTF8&pageNumber=2&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=byRankDescending
One of the suppliers in India had a batch that didn't include the frame in the box. K&N sent them out to owners FoC.

With my slightly modified exhaust I will probably disconnect the battery for 10 mins and reset the ECU, at next weekend's 72k km service.

Last edited by Dalap; 06-27-2014 at 12:57 AM.

post #14 of 18 Old 06-27-2014, 08:18 PM

If the K&N was a superior design to the OEM filter (and if it added HP), your bike would have come with one from the factory.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LongRanger For This Useful Post:
backfirepro (07-05-2014), pooder7 (06-27-2014)
post #15 of 18 Old 06-29-2014, 04:33 PM

I do not really agree with the above statement. Most times manufactures go for ease of manufacturing over hp and other aspects that increase production cost. I have no doubts that the Honda brand OEM filter does a fantastic job, but it isn't to say because Honda made it for the bike that it is the best and all the same superior to anything else on the market. If that was the case there would be no aftermarket products for any vehicle. Period.
post #16 of 18 Old 06-29-2014, 09:28 PM

You may find these links interesting...

Air Filter Test

Air Filter Filtration Testing

Someone tested various air filter tests in their Miata. The filters tested included stock and K&N. The testing included a filtration test in which they installed a second air filter downstream of the main air filter to see how much dirt it collected. The first link has the introduction and summary or results. The second link has more details on the filtration test.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to mrmunsell For This Useful Post:
MotoMike (06-29-2014)
post #17 of 18 Old 07-05-2014, 04:08 PM

It appears that we make quite the sacrifice in terms of filtration vs flow. I do drive on a very dusty road so I do wonder what the results for me would be.
I may personally switch back to OEM as I will be getting a slip on soon and will not be purchasing the piggy back tuner this year.
However, it appears all filters let in dirt of various degrees.
Most gasses have engine cleaners and even stand alone cleaners are widely available.
I wonder how well those do to.clean up the deposits.
post #18 of 18 Old 07-05-2014, 05:45 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to OzHonda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalap View Post
Arrives early next week.

Will report back on real World difference.
Unlucky. I would suggest selling it.

The real world difference will be a dirtier air box, and more cleaning to do. Yes it may provide more flow, but a lot less filtration.

OEM is perfect for the bike. Use them.

YouTube:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current: 2003 CBR600RR

Sold:

Ride carefully - You are invisible.

Mods:

Feb, 2014 Photo of the month winner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page