13t Sprocket new questions and thoughts - Page 3 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 35 Old 07-05-2014, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzman View Post
Gets the front wheel up quite easy, can only imagine what a 40t rear would do too.
well that sounds awesome. i am just looking forward to not having to downshift out of 6th so much. my girlfriend surprised me and ordered the sprocket while i was at work so now i just have to save up and buy the drd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 Old 07-05-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backfirepro View Post
well that sounds awesome. i am just looking forward to not having to downshift out of 6th so much. my girlfriend surprised me and ordered the sprocket while i was at work so now i just have to save up and buy the drd

I don't get enough torque to pull the front wheel but the benefit you seek, not having to downshift into 5th on the highway, is probably the biggest thing. You have enough power to pass in 6th and pull hills without downshifting.

I installed the DRD last night. Double check the error with a smart phone app first to see if its worth it. I am also going to retest mine today with a speedometer phone app which is free to see if I got the correction right. I'm most concerned about the odometer.

It really takes some time because you need to study the process to understand how to get to the right connection in the bundle.

It's not as easy as some would leave you to believe unless you have experience with these things like removing the fairings and disconnecting the bundles. ( Glad I have the shop manual). Be sure to find the 12 o'clock labs on line video and calculator, which is referenced in the instructions. You can do it but just be sure you get the right connection and figure out how it disconnects by depressing the locking tab on one side.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #23 of 35 Old 07-05-2014, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,647 Times in 1,941 Posts
Quote:
... i am just looking forward to not having to downshift out of 6th so much...
You'll notice a big difference in how much better this bike performs at high altitude with the 13T sprocket.

I'm just up the road from you (in Eldorado, just outside of Santa Fe). Riding mountain roads like the ones going up to the S.F. Ski Basin, the Sandia ski area, and up in the Jemez Mountains (IMO, one of the best motorcycle roads in northern New Mexico) with a 13T sprocket for the past two years... trust me, you'll never look back at using the 14T sprocket.

I know a lot people are happy with the performance of the 14T sprocket, but they don't live & ride at high altitude... for anyone riding at 6000 ft. and above, I think changing to the 13T front sprocket is mandatory on the CBR250R.

post #24 of 35 Old 07-05-2014, 04:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aamwiggie View Post
hey Jsharp....any chance a northern neighbor could get that 13 tooth front sprocket from ya.!!!

Hey man I have been tryin to pm you back, it is saying that it sent but it is not showing up on my end, just let me know if you got it or not

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #25 of 35 Old 07-05-2014, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrate View Post
I installed the DRD last night.....
It really takes some time because you need to study the process to understand how to get to the right connection in the bundle.

It's not as easy as some would leave you to believe unless you have experience with these things like removing the fairings and disconnecting the bundles. ( Glad I have the shop manual).

it seemed fairly simple from what i can attain from the internet. the fairing is just a series of bolts and the bundle is just a sleeve around the connection, and then match the correct connector with the two ends on the drd. pretty plug and play by the looks of it, or is it more complicated?.. isn't there a video online showing how to install it? or am i mistaken?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
You'll notice a big difference in how much better this bike performs at high altitude with the 13T sprocket.

I'm just up the road from you (in Eldorado, just outside of Santa Fe). Riding mountain roads like the ones going up to the S.F. Ski Basin, the Sandia ski area, and up in the Jemez Mountains (IMO, one of the best motorcycle roads in northern New Mexico) with a 13T sprocket for the past two years... trust me, you'll never look back at using the 14T sprocket.

I know a lot people are happy with the performance of the 14T sprocket, but they don't live & ride at high altitude... for anyone riding at 6000 ft. and above, I think changing to the 13T front sprocket is mandatory on the CBR250R.
yes, i have yet to get up to jemez with my bike but i used to take my subaru back there all the time definitely a beautiful area.
post #26 of 35 Old 07-05-2014, 08:37 PM

13t Sprocket new questions and thoughts

If you are doing all this for the first time it just takes longer than half an hour. More like a couple of hours to figure it out and do it right. I just don't go yanking stuff off my bike without reading the manual and knowing what I am doing, like with the fairing clips since all the clips on bike are not the same. Its not that difficult to do but there is some trial and error involved in locating the right connection within the bundle because its a very tight space and the right one is not easy to find at least on my bike. Read some of the comments on the forum about this process. That helped me or I might still be looking for it.

I could do it now within an hour because I know what to look for and where everything is located.

You have to input the right error percentage and know what that it is by calculating it which is easy if you are using a GPS odometer app on your phone and measure the correction error before you install. But I would not just plug in the sprocket sizes and tire sizes, which is an option in the 12 o'clock calculator and use those values.

I did 154 miles today and my odometer had a 1% variation from the GPS, so the DDR correction is working.

Last edited by ngrate; 07-06-2014 at 10:32 AM.
post #27 of 35 Old 07-06-2014, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

well i assumed it was going to take longer than half an hour. hmm. correct me if im wrong, but from the looks of it, this is the process right? id like input from someone ike you who has done this process

1. Remove the three hexbolts on the fairing, the visible one, the one hiding near the bottom, and the one up front under the turn signal (kind of)

2. Gently tug on the fairing, and it will come off after all the hex bolts are removed (am i missing any clips?)

3. remove the turn signal

4. remove the front seat to expose the little black fairings bolts, remove those bolts (again, missing anything?), remove small black fairing

5. locate the bundle of connections, which apparently looks like an upsidedown wine glass sans the bottom.

6. unclip the front three connectors, which will give you better clearance to the speedo connector.

7. study how the drd connects in order to properly disconnect the stock speedo without damaging it.

8. plug in drd, one end in the stock female connector, one end in the male connector

9. program via gps, secure drd

10. replace fairings

does thta sound alright? this is just what i can attain via the internet and others previous experience. does this sound comprehensive enough? (this question is open to anyone whose done this process)
post #28 of 35 Old 07-06-2014, 09:25 PM

13t Sprocket new questions and thoughts

Quote:
well i assumed it was going to take longer than half an hour. hmm. correct me if im wrong, but from the looks of it, this is the process right? id like input from someone ike you who has done this process

1. Remove the three hexbolts on the fairing, the visible one, the one hiding near the bottom, and the one up front under the turn signal (kind of)

2. Gently tug on the fairing, and it will come off after all the hex bolts are removed (am i missing any clips?)

3. remove the turn signal

4. remove the front seat to expose the little black fairings bolts, remove those bolts (again, missing anything?), remove small black fairing

5. locate the bundle of connections, which apparently looks like an upsidedown wine glass sans the bottom.

6. unclip the front three connectors, which will give you better clearance to the speedo connector.

7. study how the drd connects in order to properly disconnect the stock speedo without damaging it.

8. plug in drd, one end in the stock female connector, one end in the male connector

9. program via gps, secure drd

10. replace fairings

does thta sound alright? this is just what i can attain via the internet and others previous experience. does this sound comprehensive enough? (this question is open to anyone whose done this process)

I did not disconnect all the other connectors but fished the correct one out although I could see how this would make it easier to find. I also did not take out the middle fairing but took out the hex bolt and snuck the left main fairing out. Otherwise you got the install. Assume you are visiting their website to calculate your error and input values. The 13t sprocket is in your situation a great mod and this speedo corrector is also worth the effort.

Last edited by ngrate; 07-06-2014 at 09:31 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ngrate For This Useful Post:
backfirepro (07-06-2014)
post #29 of 35 Old 07-06-2014, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

awesome i just ordered the drd today. both should get here soon just gotta get some anti-seize grease and a torque wrench and everything will be great
post #30 of 35 Old 07-06-2014, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,647 Times in 1,941 Posts
Quote:
3. remove the turn signal.
You don't have to remove the turn signal, it stays attached to the side cowl... just unplug the two bullet style wire connectors.
The Following User Says Thank You to MotoMike For This Useful Post:
backfirepro (07-06-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page