2013 cbr250r running better on 89 octane. - Page 2 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 Old 07-03-2014, 06:33 PM

Garage
The higher octane fuel has a longer shelf life, so if you only use the bike once a month the fuel is still ok. I use it (98ron) in everything as there is far less carbon deposits & the shelf life is better, will it make a stock bike go better? Nope ...

Full of sound & fury signifying nothing ....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 Old 07-03-2014, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Thank you every one for your inputs. It's nice to have a place to have discussions about the CBR. AND I DON'T RUN HIGH TEST ANY MORE.
post #13 of 24 Old 07-03-2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeboo View Post
The higher octane fuel has a longer shelf life, so if you only use the bike once a month the fuel is still ok. I use it (98ron) in everything as there is far less carbon deposits & the shelf life is better, will it make a stock bike go better? Nope ...
Any gas should be just fine after a month of sitting. Otherwise, it may have WAY too much ethanol in it and is absorbing too much moisture. Bad juju; bad knocking noises. Most gas is stabil for around a year, even the lower octanes. That, and I hate Sta-bil.

Tis better to be thought a fool and remain silent, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

post #14 of 24 Old 07-04-2014, 10:24 AM

Garage
[QUOTE=cbrlocal;415290]Any gas should be just fine after a month of sitting. Otherwise, it may have WAY too much ethanol in it and is absorbing too much moisture. Bad juju; bad knocking noises. Most gas is stabil for around a year, even the lower octanes.

4weeks & it's already on its way to being stuffed.
Google it if you don't believe me.

post #15 of 24 Old 07-04-2014, 10:35 AM

Garage
Quote:
4weeks & it's already on its way to being stuffed.
Google it if you don't believe me.
Please believe everything you read on the interwebs.

Gas does NOT deteriorate after 4 weeks as this dude says. Now, If it was in an open air container then yes, it would be on its way to getting crappy.

But in a closed air tight system where air cannot freely go to the gasoline, it can last over a year no problem.

I know people that used like 4 year old gas with no problems because it was in a sealed 1000 gallon gas container. Hell, I even filled my bike up while I was there and seen no bad side effects. (Filled my 125 scooter not the 250 CBR.)

Yes gas can go bad sooner, but the point is, in our gas tanks it can sit for a long time and be fine. People that buy into that gas stabilizer stuff makes me laugh to myself, but I don't care how people spend their $$. Yes stabilizer is good if you do plan to store it for a long time, but doesn't make too big of a difference.

PS: This is not including Ethanol gas. You can't even buy that garbage around where I live, but if you go the next state over you do find it..

TLDR: The only way gas will deteriorate quickly is if its not in an air tight container, or if it is ethanol. Normal gas will last years as long as its stored properly.

http://www.fuel-testers.com/expirati...hanol_gas.html

That does explain it well.

Last edited by Arrethul; 07-04-2014 at 10:38 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Arrethul For This Useful Post:
TrueFaith (07-04-2014)
post #16 of 24 Old 07-04-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
The higher octane fuel has a longer shelf life
Whoa there. Higher octane fuel generally has more octane 113 ethanol (isn't ethanol bad for gas shelf life? Separation, water absorption, corrosion in bike). Lower octane gas has more energy per weight, but less resistance to detonation.

Another trick is to keep your tank fuel, as to minimize the amount of atmosphere (hence atmosphere suspended water content) inside the tank.

Last edited by xorbe; 07-04-2014 at 01:18 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to xorbe For This Useful Post:
KRS1 (07-04-2014)
post #17 of 24 Old 07-04-2014, 07:19 PM

Garage
There is no ethanol in 95 or 98 fuel here. There are plenty of tests that prove I'm correct.

post #18 of 24 Old 07-04-2014, 07:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrethul View Post
Please believe everything you read on the interwebs.

Gas does NOT deteriorate after 4 weeks as this dude says. Now, If it was in an open air container then yes, it would be on its way to getting crappy.

But in a closed air tight system where air cannot freely go to the gasoline, it can last over a year no problem.

I know people that used like 4 year old gas with no problems because it was in a sealed 1000 gallon gas container. Hell, I even filled my bike up while I was there and seen no bad side effects. (Filled my 125 scooter not the 250 CBR.)

Yes gas can go bad sooner, but the point is, in our gas tanks it can sit for a long time and be fine. People that buy into that gas stabilizer stuff makes me laugh to myself, but I don't care how people spend their $$. Yes stabilizer is good if you do plan to store it for a long time, but doesn't make too big of a difference.

PS: This is not including Ethanol gas. You can't even buy that garbage around where I live, but if you go the next state over you do find it..

TLDR: The only way gas will deteriorate quickly is if its not in an air tight container, or if it is ethanol. Normal gas will last years as long as its stored properly.

Gasoline Expiration - Ethanol Blend Fuels Have a Short Shelf Life

That does explain it well.
I'm not talking about ethanol, any fuel in a tank sitting in the sun will evaporate even in a airtight tank, that's why when you open the cap it will release pressure .
The benzine content of the fuel goes up as a result of heating & cooling of the fuel, benzine is bad... Give bp a call & ask them.
But hey what would i know.

post #19 of 24 Old 07-04-2014, 09:47 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to OzHonda
Quote:
Originally Posted by brttm910 View Post
I JUST REALY WANT TO SEE IF IM THE ONLY ONE EXPERIENCE THIS.
I've tested 91RON, 95RON, and 98RON over 2 fills per each octane. Didn't notice any difference except for expense.

Owners manual states 91RON and that's what I've stuck with.

YouTube:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current: 2003 CBR600RR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sold:

Ride carefully - You are invisible.

Mods:

Feb, 2014 Photo of the month winner
post #20 of 24 Old 07-04-2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xorbe View Post
Whoa there. Higher octane fuel generally has more octane 113 ethanol (isn't ethanol bad for gas shelf life? Separation, water absorption, corrosion in bike). Lower octane gas has more energy per weight, but less resistance to detonation.

Another trick is to keep your tank fuel, as to minimize the amount of atmosphere (hence atmosphere suspended water content) inside the tank.

the cbr 250 has a problem with the breather hose, if it gets into the wrong angle with a series of curves that restricts atmospheric pressure, the bike will appear to run lean, vibrate and run rough.

this can be verified by taking the gas cap off, if the internal pressure in the tank is not right, the cap will appear to 'pop' off when its removed, do to vacuum as air rushes in.

i pulled mine and the bike has become much more consistent.

if you put the tank upside down, about 2 -3 cups of fuel will come rushing out the breather when you flip it back over.

I think this is one of the primary causes of cbr 250 vibration syndrome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page