fairings removed; fuel efficiency - Page 2 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 Old 07-15-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norkamus View Post
So Motomike. After dropping those 14 pounds, What was your experience? Massive? Moderate? Barely noticable?

Nick
I'm no Motomike, so pardon me for answering. I replaced the stock header and pipe with the LV GP Corsa. Weight loss should have been similar to what Motomike has. I've also upgraded the stock rearsets to woodcraft, and ditched the right side passenger peg. I loss of likely 2-3lbs again. I've also ditched the evap can and associated hardware. A loss of about a pound. The difference? I barely noticed. I only have a few thousand miles on the cbr250, but I have 10s of thousands on my 919, drz, and cr250. Have I ever noticed a big difference in any of the bikes when making a change of < 0.5% in weight? Certainly not. If I regularly ran a track and had a timer I would expect to see a time savings of a fraction of a second at best. As far as sheer getup and go is concerned, again you are only changing the power to weight ratio by a tiny bit. Anything you perceive is most likely placebo effect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 07-15-2014, 04:20 PM

My bike felt a little more agile when I ditched the factory muffler. Ditching the rear grab handles removes another 3-4 pounds I think. I believe that there is a thread here about modifications for weight reduction. Max you'll ditch besides low fuel in the tank is about 20 pounds, and that's with extensive metalworking. No gain in power/acceleration as far as I can tell.

Tis better to be thought a fool and remain silent, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
post #13 of 17 Old 07-15-2014, 04:46 PM

The Following User Says Thank You to hellaflush For This Useful Post:
hamburglar490 (07-15-2014)

post #14 of 17 Old 07-15-2014, 04:55 PM

I personally think wind resistance is a bigger factor than weight.
I don't see how increasing wind resistance by removing the aerodynamic parts of a bike could be offset by the weight savings of those parts.
Even a skydiver will hit terminal velocity in a flat stable position no matter his weight and the only way to increase speed from that point is to go into a head down position and make your body surface smaller, less resistant to the wind and more aerodynamic.
post #15 of 17 Old 07-15-2014, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,643 Times in 1,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
I personally think wind resistance is a bigger factor than weight.
I don't see how increasing wind resistance by removing the aerodynamic parts of a bike could be offset by the weight savings of those parts.
Even a skydiver will hit terminal velocity in a flat stable position no matter his weight and the only way to increase speed from that point is to go into a head down position and make your body surface smaller, less resistant to the wind and more aerodynamic.
I agree... removing the side cowls to drop those few pounds that they weigh is not going to amount to much of anything in terms of meaningful performance gains. At the same time, aerodynamics are a big factor for any road going vehicle moving through the air.
post #16 of 17 Old 07-16-2014, 12:28 AM

Every time I see some guy on Craigstlist, post his obvious sport bike for sale, as a "naked Streetfighter" my brain goes into Interpret function" Translation: "crashed, trashed and smashed, fairings cost too much, so Im selling my ugly salvage title bike" , have you ever LOOKED at these abominations? So why make your bike ugly On Purpose to save a few pounds? Just look at the older Gen 1 Ninja 250, Nice lines, Then look at the Ninja 500 Same bike Except engines and other stuff but basically the same style lines except for the fairings, but the short 2 pc fairing on the 500 makes it ugly in comparison to the 250, Just as most people Should leave their clothes on, leave the CBR's clothes (fairings) on, Most naked bikes (and people) should only be (seen) in the dark.
post #17 of 17 Old 07-16-2014, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everybody for your thoughts. This is a very active forum! I said that I'd post the weights of each part I had off, but I only remembered to do that after I had it all re-assembled to the bike (So I couldn't do it).

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page