Low RPM's in 2nd gear - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 07-31-2014, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Low RPM's in 2nd gear

Hi everyone,

Been riding my 2013 CBR250R for about 3 months now. I have completed the MSF Basic Rider course and was a good experience. Now I am slowly hitting the streets around my area, pushing myself a little further each day and getting comfortable with the bike.

My question is regarding RPM power in second gear. Say I am slowing down to take a 90 degree corner or enter a parking lot or shopping area, I feel like the bike looses power drastically and the rpms fall fast and the bike start to chugging as I enter the parking lot.

I have realized that below 4000rpms, the bike loses power and start lugging. What are some recommendations or advice on this situation? The other day I was entering Walgreens parking lot and went down to 2nd gear, but to prevent the bike from chugging I had to slip the clutch in the friction zone to keep the power up.

Thank you for your time. All the best
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 07-31-2014, 02:42 PM

Garage
I'm tagging along this thread to see the experts' recommendations. What I used to do on my 125 was 'feather' the clutch in 2nd gear to maintain smooth acceleration. On the 250, the RPM's are a little lower, but I still feather to maintain the smoothness, but not as much as on the 125.
post #3 of 20 Old 07-31-2014, 04:22 PM

You'll have to keep the clutch in the friction zone when doing a sharp 90 turn. The spacing of the gears is a bit funny there. One is usually too fast to shift into first gear but too slow for releasing the clutch all the way in second.

My computer is fighting Aids and Cancer in it's idle time, and yours?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 Old 07-31-2014, 05:12 PM

Feather clutch and easy on the throttle, you may need to drop into first.
There is a funny thing between first and second. I loved second gear on my FZ1, which could go from slow speed turns at intersections all the way up to 80 mph!
I do like the overall power and torque of the cbr250 though, which is plenty perky for 90% of the riding I do.
Ride more, you will get the feel of it.
post #5 of 20 Old 08-01-2014, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
You'll have to keep the clutch in the friction zone when doing a sharp 90 turn. The spacing of the gears is a bit funny there. One is usually too fast to shift into first gear but too slow for releasing the clutch all the way in second.
I'd go to first....dont like slipping clutch unless I have to.
post #6 of 20 Old 08-01-2014, 02:35 AM

If you downshift to first while moving at too fast of a speed, you risk locking up the rear tire if you release the clutch too quickly.

I would recommend slipping the clutch in second gear - that is what the clutch is made for.

I only shift down to first if I know I am going to be coming to a stop.
post #7 of 20 Old 08-01-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don'tpanic View Post
If you downshift to first while moving at too fast of a speed, you risk locking up the rear tire if you release the clutch too quickly.

I would recommend slipping the clutch in second gear - that is what the clutch is made for.

I only shift down to first if I know I am going to be coming to a stop.
+1 couldn't have said it better myself
post #8 of 20 Old 08-01-2014, 03:23 PM

There is nothing wrong with dropping into first. You'll have more control in first than if the engine is lugging in second. Over time you'll get used to matching the revs when you downshift.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #9 of 20 Old 08-01-2014, 03:40 PM

If it is a smooth turn I stay on second, if the RPMs fall to low I feather the clutch and give it some gas to increase the RPMs. As the bike gets speed I slowly release the clutch. If the right turn is a drive way with a bump I may downshift to first, but this is a leaned skill that takes practice. I would suggest to practice downshifting in a parking lot at slow speeds. If not done properly you will drop the bike.
I got my license in California and at the time I could not afford the MSF course, so I had to learn to use the clutch to pass the Skills test. If you get out of the like or put your foot down you fail. When I took this tests you had to go around 3 times.
If you practice riding your bike in a circle you will master the clutch at low speeds while leaning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w_s0DNaJSA
The Following User Says Thank You to redCBR250r For This Useful Post:
shisoshin (08-01-2014)
post #10 of 20 Old 08-01-2014, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your replies! I appreciate you taking the time to reply and help out. I will definitely take the advice and put it into practice on the bike.

All the best!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page