Racing Report: Baby Blade rocks in the Rain - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

5Likes
  • 4 Post By kfox
  • 1 Post By SpotTheDogg

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 11-03-2015, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Racing Report: Baby Blade rocks in the Rain

This post most appropriately belongs in a racer's forum, but since we don't have one (Moderator hint ) I'll post it here.

This weekend's CMRA race (MSR Houston) was completely in the rain and waterlogged - all rain, all the time. The track drains well, but there was so much rain that there were rivulets and puddles all over the track.

Based on the advice of a friend (Roger Albert - OnRoad/OffRoad Suspension), I put on rain tires and did my first wet races. The little CBR250R absolutely rocks in the rain!

It corners better than its competitors on dry track, but it's superior performance characteristics really shine on a wet track. To the point that I was able to pass at least one rider (who is faster than me on normal days) on the outside of a sweeping corner.

And it's low end torque band (as compared to competitive bikes) made for easily controlled acceleration without spinning up the back tire, and also for very precise/controllable engine braking.

In the two races I ran, I took a second (with third place going to the overall class leader) and a third (with first and second both going to guys who raced in the KTM Cup international finals - or so I was told).

In summary, this is a very good bike in dry conditions if the rider's cornering skill can overcome it's lack of top end speed; but in the wet, this bike really shines with no pitfalls. It let me punch beyond my weight. Thanks Baby Blade!

CMRA #914
2014 R6 - Track Bike
2012 CBR250R - Track Bike
2088 VFR800 - Daily Commuter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-04-2015, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
And in the second race, I was being held up by a guy who was out of the points for the season. I think he was just messing with me, so I tried to drive him off the race line. He turned into me and knocked my leg off the peg and into his bike. He went down, and now he's mad at me for "kicking" him. His pit even says they have proof that I kicked his brake.

[Just thought I would try to get some discussion going... My original post seems have fallen flat.]

CMRA #914
2014 R6 - Track Bike
post #3 of 9 Old 11-05-2015, 01:39 AM

Proof you kicked his brake? Careful, they may have taken your DNA off his rearsets...

post #4 of 9 Old 11-05-2015, 07:56 AM

What did you use for rain tires, Moto3 tires?

2003 VFR800A
1990 VTR250 track bike
1974 CB360 Café
2009 BMW F800GS
GF's track bike 2011 CBR250R
post #5 of 9 Old 11-05-2015, 10:04 AM

Any pics? Racing with the spray and lean angle is One of the most impressive things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox View Post
This post most appropriately belongs in a racer's forum, but since we don't have one (Moderator hint ) I'll post it here.

This weekend's CMRA race (MSR Houston) was completely in the rain and waterlogged - all rain, all the time. The track drains well, but there was so much rain that there were rivulets and puddles all over the track.

Based on the advice of a friend (Roger Albert - OnRoad/OffRoad Suspension), I put on rain tires and did my first wet races. The little CBR250R absolutely rocks in the rain!

It corners better than its competitors on dry track, but it's superior performance characteristics really shine on a wet track. To the point that I was able to pass at least one rider (who is faster than me on normal days) on the outside of a sweeping corner.

And it's low end torque band (as compared to competitive bikes) made for easily controlled acceleration without spinning up the back tire, and also for very precise/controllable engine braking.

In the two races I ran, I took a second (with third place going to the overall class leader) and a third (with first and second both going to guys who raced in the KTM Cup international finals - or so I was told).

In summary, this is a very good bike in dry conditions if the rider's cornering skill can overcome it's lack of top end speed; but in the wet, this bike really shines with no pitfalls. It let me punch beyond my weight. Thanks Baby Blade!
post #6 of 9 Old 11-05-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
And in the second race, I was being held up by a guy who was out of the points for the season. I think he was just messing with me, so I tried to drive him off the race line. He turned into me and knocked my leg off the peg and into his bike. He went down, and now he's mad at me for "kicking" him. His pit even says they have proof that I kicked his brake.

[Just thought I would try to get some discussion going... My original post seems have fallen flat.]
If your off the racing line and the whole purpose of your move is to take the other guy off a proper line then you blew your cool, man.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-05-2015, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotTheDogg View Post
What did you use for rain tires, Moto3 tires?
Bridgestone Battleaxe full racing rain tires. Surprisingly grippy - although still a lot of sliding.

CMRA #914
2014 R6 - Track Bike
post #8 of 9 Old 11-05-2015, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellonwheels View Post
Any pics?
I wish - no photographers were out there in the downpour.

CMRA #914
2014 R6 - Track Bike
post #9 of 9 Old 11-05-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Bridgestone Battleaxe full racing rain tires. Surprisingly grippy - although still a lot of sliding.
Yeah, so Moto3/125GP 90 & 120
E03Z & E06Z

YES, WE DO WANT A RACERS FORUM!
kfox likes this.

2003 VFR800A
1990 VTR250 track bike
1974 CB360 Café
2009 BMW F800GS
GF's track bike 2011 CBR250R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page