Non-Ethanol Gasoline Availability - Page 3 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 49 Old 07-02-2016, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegs View Post
Here's something interesting a fellow rider told me recently.

How much fuel sits in the hose at the pump? If you use a pump that shares one hose for different grades of fuel, you might find up getting two litres of regular before you start getting premium.

Ideally, you want a dedicated premium pump.
Speedway just started opening stations in my state. It's the first time in my life I've EVER seen one pump with 3 hoses, a dedicated one for each grade.
It was so unusual to see it actually confused me for a second.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 49 Old 07-03-2016, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegs View Post
Let's throw some math at it and see, then.

Hoses in my area are around 3m long and about 4 cm across. Assuming half the radius is the hose itself, that gives us 942 ccs of fuel, or 0.942 L. And that's just in the external hose; there will be some fuel sitting in the pump itself as well.
Is that much an issue?

I've never seen a pump with more than 1 hose.

Premium is also most likely going to be older than the Regular grade, as it's not as commonly used.

Another reason NOT to use Premium unless you really need it. Many people are still under the (incorrect) impression that Premium is somehow a better quality gas and better for your engine. Some companies may add additional detergents, but generally it's nothing more than the regular gas with more octane. Unless you have a high performance engine that specifically calls for Premium fuel it's not giving you any benefit. If you don't, you are going to get less performance and economy at a higher cost.

Only time I go up in octane over the factory recommendation is to get away from ethanol.
shisoshin likes this.
post #23 of 49 Old 07-03-2016, 10:50 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv357 View Post
Is that much an issue?

I've never seen a pump with more than 1 hose.

Premium is also most likely going to be older than the Regular grade, as it's not as commonly used.

Another reason NOT to use Premium unless you really need it. Many people are still under the (incorrect) impression that Premium is somehow a better quality gas and better for your engine. Some companies may add additional detergents, but generally it's nothing more than the regular gas with more octane. Unless you have a high performance engine that specifically calls for Premium fuel it's not giving you any benefit. If you don't, you are going to get less performance and economy at a higher cost.

Only time I go up in octane over the factory recommendation is to get away from ethanol.
In my area, all stations used to have a separate pump for each grade of fuel. In more recent years, they moving to shared hose systems, but some of the older stations haven't made the upgrade.

The only reason I use premium is to get away from the government mandated ethanol, thus me posting this in a thread titled "Non-Ethanol Gasoline Availability." :-p

Every bike is a good bike. The question is whether or not it's the best bike for what you want to do.

The Little Sport Tourer That Could - 2011 CBR250R with touring windscreen, Saddlemen seat, tank cover, frame sliders, mirror extenders, taller gearing via sprockets to fix speedo and reduce vibration at highway speed. Written off due to act of moron.

post #24 of 49 Old 08-13-2016, 10:38 AM

^From what I hear the top tier gas stations use less or no ethanol in their fuel. The lower the ethanol amount the better. However if the grocery store has low ethanol fuel I don't see a reason to not refuel there.

My computer is fighting Aids and Cancer in it's idle time, and yours?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Schroeder For This Useful Post:
TrippplePPP (08-13-2016)
post #25 of 49 Old 08-14-2016, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
^From what I hear the top tier gas stations use less or no ethanol in their fuel. The lower the ethanol amount the better. However if the grocery store has low ethanol fuel I don't see a reason to not refuel there.
They all will use pretty much the same percentage of ethanol, which is undisclosed, but "up to 10%", meaning, probably 10%. The real difference is the concentrations of additives to keep varnish away from the piston heads, fuel injectors, and cylinder. Top tier gas contains 50% more than the federal mandated minimum of those cleaners, which is 50% more than the no-name/unbranded gas.

Tis better to be thought a fool and remain silent, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
post #26 of 49 Old 08-15-2016, 10:00 AM

Ethanol-free 87 will give you the best power and economy - if you can get it.

Adding ethanol to gasoline leans the mixture and requires more fuel to achieve the proper mixture, which the fuel injection supplies. In an engine with a carb, ethanol fuel will make it run leaner.

Higher octane has no benefit unless you are detonating. You will make the most power with the lowest amount of octane required to just barely keep detonation away.

I run 87 octane without ethanol because it's available locally, but if I can't get it i will run whatever octane I have to in order to get ethanol-free gas.

I run the normal E10 in my cars, but all my small engines and cycles (especially if they have steel gas tanks) get ethanol-free gas.
kutter and shisoshin like this.
post #27 of 49 Old 08-15-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv357 View Post
Ethanol-free 87 will give you the best power and economy - if you can get it.

Adding ethanol to gasoline leans the mixture and requires more fuel to achieve the proper mixture, which the fuel injection supplies. In an engine with a carb, ethanol fuel will make it run leaner.

Higher octane has no benefit unless you are detonating. You will make the most power with the lowest amount of octane required to just barely keep detonation away.

I run 87 octane without ethanol because it's available locally, but if I can't get it i will run whatever octane I have to in order to get ethanol-free gas.

I run the normal E10 in my cars, but all my small engines and cycles (especially if they have steel gas tanks) get ethanol-free gas.
Indeed. You wouldn't believe what just one season sitting with some of the gasahol we have around here did to a push-mower's tank.
kutter likes this.

Tis better to be thought a fool and remain silent, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
post #28 of 49 Old 09-28-2017, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,940 Posts
Bump to the top

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
post #29 of 49 Old 09-29-2017, 05:16 AM

Thanked 1,328 Times in 832 Posts
on additive differences [sydney] price cycles vary
between 110c/l and 140c/l, average about 120c/l..
but regardless of base price for the same petrol
there will be a consistent 17c extra for 95ron
then another 7c extra for 98ron.. [91 and 94pon]

ie, same base petrol + 17c additive pack in 95ron,
+ another 7c or 25c additive package in 98ron..

e-10 may be labelled '94ron' - in an attempt to mislead
motorists conditioned to think higher octane means
'higher power', 'better quality' 'premium' petrol..
post #30 of 49 Old 09-29-2017, 03:16 PM

I've been wary of E10 gas all along, but my cars seems to do fine with it. I don't like using it in my cbr. There's a station about 8 miles from home that sells 100% unleaded gas. I try to stop there every chance but don't always make it, especially when on the road. The map MotoMike posted is helpful for those trips!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page