Upcoming mods: partial streamlining - Page 2 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 Old 12-20-2017, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

I finished this round of modifications. I'll try to do a test run soon. Attached are some pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0974.JPG (111.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0976.JPG (87.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0978.JPG (99.4 KB, 18 views)

Hypermiling to a better tomorrow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 12-21-2017, 04:36 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenaero View Post
I also want more people to look at motorcycling as a transportation option rather than as a dangerous and inefficient toy. Thank you for your questions and interest!
To that end will you be incorporating luggage space into your streamlining?
Seriously, as much as I enjoy riding motorbikes the majority of the times I need to use motorised transport it's because I have to move items too bulky to carry on a motorbike or bicycle so I take my van.
When I do ride my motorbike, 9 times out of 10 I'll have the top box on, if only to have somewhere to put my helmet and gloves when I'm off the bike. Top boxes always divide opinion amongst motorcyclists and can't do much for aerodynamics but to my mind buying a bike without a top box would be like buying a car without a boot (trunk to you Americans).
Honda are to be admired for incorporating luggage space into their NC700/750 range yet I fail to be excited by a bike that has little more power than a CB500 but weighs 20% more. Even the fuel efficiency figures they're so keen to shout about are lower than the 500's.
post #13 of 18 Old 12-23-2017, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=Keith;675466]To that end will you be incorporating luggage space into your streamlining?
Absolutely , it is a major benefit of full and partial streamlining. Vetter Challenge competitors goals are real world based ( ability to go 70mph into a 30mph headwind, achieve over 100mpg fuel economy, carry 4 full groceries bags with rider comfortable) Craig Vetter Fuel Economy Challenge. better mileage. Living better on less energy

.Top boxes always divide opinion amongst motorcyclists and can't do much for aerodynamics but to my mind buying a bike without a top box would be like buying a car without a boot (trunk to you Americans).

Agreed, but I've found my previous aerotrunk to provide ~ 15 to 20 improvement in fuel economy. Most commercially available moto trunks are too small and not the correct shape to effectively reduce air drag.

post #14 of 18 Old 12-23-2017, 04:06 PM

Interesting work you've done there. I had mounted a large Rubbermaid tote on the back of my CBR 125 for hauling groceries, camping gear etc. I didn't compare mileage figures, but I got a sense that the bike did have a little less resistance at speed. The only time a side wind was a problem, was with a very strong side wind. As I leaned into the wind, it felt like the wind was pushing underneath the box and lifting the back end. It was an exceptionally strong wind and the box was empty at the time.
post #15 of 18 Old 12-23-2017, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

I just got back from running our test loop. Alan Smith joined me with his modified KLR650 and our friend Bruce rode his stock KLR5650. It was pretty cold and somewhat windy. Our route went through the hilly backroads between Livermore and Tracy, then we proceeded south through orchards and farms to Patterson. We stopped for lunch and returned along the same back to the gas station where we had started. We refueled and I found I had used 1.07 gallons to travel the 109.6 miles ; 109.6/1.07 = 102.4 mpg . I was pleased with the result as conditions were not optimal for great fuel economy. The last time we rode the loop under better conditions Alan got 81mpg as compared to the 72mpg he got today. The potential I saw in the CBR is definitely there and I'm looking forward my next modifications. Wishing you all the best, Merry XMas and Happy Holidays!
TrueFaith, sendler and jkv357 like this.

post #16 of 18 Old 12-23-2017, 11:12 PM

Wow, that's amazing!
post #17 of 18 Old 12-24-2017, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
Wow, that's amazing!
Thanks Brother! Merry XMas

post #18 of 18 Old 04-01-2018, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Alan and did another test run on the loop to Patterson CA and back. He rode 2005 Kawasaki Ninja EX250R modified with taller gearing and a small aerotrunk vs my CBR250R. I haven't made any additional changes. The weather was clear, calm and in the 70s. Conditions were much better than the run we made in December and so were our results: Alan got 106 mpg and I got 118.9 mpg.
The next Vetter Challenge will be in July at the Hollister Rally so I will be working toward full streamlining shortly. I have 2 additional mods to try before I go with radical streamlining. I'll post the results after I test them.
jkv357 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page