Shifter Stuck when downshifting? - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 06-16-2013, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Shifter Stuck when downshifting?

The other day I dropped my CBR250 :'( 90% of the fall was taken on the left handlebar. No scratches on the fairing/motor and it fell on the left side. There were a couple of scratches on the shifter bar but I didn't think much of it.

Now when I ride and I'm in 4th/5th/6th gear, if I try to downshift (not enginer break. Im talking going from like 6th to say....2nd) it gets stuck. Usually I would have been able to hold in the clutch, and downshift all the way to first. But now it gets stuck on random gears.

When the shifter gets stuck at the bottom, I have to kick it back up (like upshifting) and then back down again sometimes for it to even downshift.

What could it be?

Juliet: '12 CBR250R Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 06-16-2013, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,647 Times in 1,941 Posts
Sounds like the linkage rod could be bent... if thats not the case, and everything looks straight, I'd take apart the shift lever from the pivot shaft, clean it and lube with a little waterproof grease or some anti seize compound (my preference). This is something that should be done periodically anyway to insure smooth shifting... IMO, it's a service item that Honda overlooked in putting together the Maintenance Schedule.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MotoMike For This Useful Post:
Aufitt (06-17-2013), Jme250RA (06-17-2013)
post #3 of 23 Old 06-16-2013, 10:30 PM

Mine does it also. I have to let the clutch out a little untill it grabs gear, then I can resume downshifting.

I'm gonna try what mike said and re-lube it.

post #4 of 23 Old 06-16-2013, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

So I'm not the only one. It is just frustrating sometimes. Its brand new though with only 1800 miles. Would it really need to be lubed that often in order to remove this problem?

post #5 of 23 Old 06-16-2013, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

I was reading a thread about a different motorcycle having the same problem and it talked about something called a "Shift Return Spring" being possibly damaged. Do we have that?

post #6 of 23 Old 06-16-2013, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Spam View Post
I was reading a thread about a different motorcycle having the same problem and it talked about something called a "Shift Return Spring" being possibly damaged. Do we have that?
There is a return spring located on the opposite end of the Gearshift Spindle, inside the right crankcase cover... the whole service procedure is covered the Service Manual in section 10, pages 18 to 21.

Last edited by MotoMike; 06-16-2013 at 11:11 PM.
post #7 of 23 Old 06-17-2013, 12:11 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Spam View Post
... Its brand new though with only 1800 miles. Would it really need to be lubed that often in order to remove this problem?
I don't necessarily think that the shift lever pivot has to be re-greased all that often. I serviced mine when it was new (the factory didn't have much grease on the pivot shaft, it was mostly dry) at 600 miles, and then again at 4500 miles when I did the second oil & filter change. I think that doing it at the same time as your oil changes is probably sufficient in terms of frequency... maybe more often for a bike that is ridden a lot in wet conditions. Plus it's a quick job, 5 minutes at the most.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the shifting gets a lot smoother on this bike as you get more miles on it, and the internal transmission parts have worn in together. I think it's a popular misconception is that a bike is "broken in" at 600 miles... I've got 8500 miles on mine now, of which the last 6000 miles or so it seems to have all the parts finally "meshed" and working well together as a complete unit.

post #8 of 23 Old 06-17-2013, 06:22 AM

Thanked 1,538 Times in 790 Posts
My gear lever seized up after one British winter, and not many miles on it from new. I just took it off, cleaned the pivot up, applied copper grease and it's been fine since.

post #9 of 23 Old 06-17-2013, 11:08 AM

Isn't Mr Spam's situation just the normal 'must actuate clutch between each gear' problem that is caused by normal m.c. transmission design and not by mechanical failure?
post #10 of 23 Old 06-17-2013, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by montliz44 View Post
Isn't Mr Spam's situation just the normal 'must actuate clutch between each gear' problem that is caused by normal m.c. transmission design and not by mechanical failure?
Yeah, it seems like he has two separate issues going on... besides the shift lever sticking and not returning to its normal position, it sounds like he is also trying to downshift through all the gears all at once instead of re-engaging the clutch after each downshift.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page