cbr250r starting problem - Page 2 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 36 Old 08-01-2013, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrethul View Post
I have never even used my kill switch. Its like a pointless thing there that I never use and never heard of anyone using theirs.
You should take the MSF course. It is proper procedure to use the kill switch to cut the power to the engine prior to turning the key to the off position. Same goes for starting the bike... FINE-C baby.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2011 Honda CBR250R - Black (Devin)
Black Exhaust Cover
DIY Fender Eliminator
ProGrip 719 Duo-Density Gel Grips
ZeroGravity Corsa Windscreen (Smoke)
The Following User Says Thank You to Peach For This Useful Post:
CNY (08-01-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 36 Old 08-01-2013, 02:10 AM

a so called proper procedure means nothing to me without a convincing reason for it.... And don't say its so you can remember where it is... That's ridiculous.
post #13 of 36 Old 08-01-2013, 03:08 AM

Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,315 Posts
I think ive found why the new riders are having the idling, staling and weird 'problems and issues' with their cbrs! lol

Its not a race to get it fired and warmed up.

Sent from my mobile phone while driving, waiting for a vigilante Motovlogger to star in his own train wreck.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aufitt For This Useful Post:
MotoMike (08-01-2013), shisoshin (08-01-2013), Wynne G Oldman (08-01-2013)

post #14 of 36 Old 08-01-2013, 07:58 AM

Thanked 1,538 Times in 790 Posts
Yes, leave your kill switch alone, it's only there to cut your engine in emergencies. Turn your ignition on, WAIT until the yellow engine light has gone out, and then press the starter button WITHOUT touching the throttle.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wynne G Oldman For This Useful Post:
Aufitt (08-01-2013), MotoMike (08-01-2013)
post #15 of 36 Old 08-01-2013, 09:26 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peach View Post
You should take the MSF course. It is proper procedure to use the kill switch to cut the power to the engine prior to turning the key to the off position. Same goes for starting the bike... FINE-C baby.

Lol.

I went to the MSF course and the kill switch is for emergencies. You should never be messing with the kill switch on a normal start. I really don't know anyone that uses a kill switch, but hey, if you like to use yours more power to you.

But hey, You wanna be a smart ass and tell me to take the MSF course.. Then hey dude, You should learn to pull out your owners manual and learn to read.

Since you're too lazy to look in your own manual and tell me that you're suppose to use your kill switch every time you turn off the bike you better read this. I think you need to learn more about how to properly use a kill switch. Yes you "can" use it to turn off the bike every time, But why would you? Its there for emergencies, and the key shuts it off the same exact way.

Thanks for telling me how to do something I know how to do. Book even tells you it should remain in the on position unless there is an emergency.
The Following User Says Thank You to Arrethul For This Useful Post:
tartan_warrior (08-01-2013)
post #16 of 36 Old 08-01-2013, 09:34 AM

Garage
Also, To the OP.

Try to follow this starting procedure.

You shouldn't be flipping the kill switch on and off while the key is on according to the book. It may be flooding the engine or doing something weird because you keep turning the pump and electric on and off while the key is on.

So sometime, Try to start off following how the manual says and don't be fiddling with your kill switch.

PS: Anyone notice how the manual doesn't say wait for the yellow light to go out? Odd, but we all know we are suppose to wait for that. Weird they didn't put it under starting procedure though.

Last edited by Arrethul; 08-01-2013 at 09:38 AM.
post #17 of 36 Old 08-01-2013, 09:39 AM

That's the way mine was taught. Sorry "all-mighty master of the bike" for giving a suggestion based on my learning experience at MSF. I never realized that two people could learn things different ways... and certainly forgot that a discussion forum is NOT for the exchange of ideas and information based on passed experiences.

Don't leave your pillow too salty there dude.

2011 Honda CBR250R - Black (Devin)
Black Exhaust Cover
DIY Fender Eliminator
ProGrip 719 Duo-Density Gel Grips
ZeroGravity Corsa Windscreen (Smoke)
post #18 of 36 Old 08-01-2013, 09:44 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peach View Post
That's the way mine was taught. Sorry "all-mighty master of the bike" for giving a suggestion based on my learning experience at MSF. I never realized that two people could learn things different ways... and certainly forgot that a discussion forum is NOT for the exchange of ideas and information based on passed experiences.

Don't leave your pillow too salty there dude.

Hey just because the owners manual says the opposite of what you said doesn't mean im all-mighty master of the bike. Its not my fault I was 1 of the few people that actually did read their owners manual.

Also, I am not the one going around giving false information saying you're suppose to use your kill switch as normal procedure.

You were taught wrong if they told you in MSF its for normal procedure starts.

Oh crap, My MSF book is sitting around here somewhere, I should scan the page they tell you how to start a bike too, then it may just prove you didn't read anything, the MSF book or the owners manual.

But hey, I don't mind you saying its normal procedure, but if you wanna say that, Please provide proof of why were suppose to do it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanohh View Post
a so called proper procedure means nothing to me without a convincing reason for it.... And don't say its so you can remember where it is... That's ridiculous.

Just like Deanohh said, It means nothing without a convincing reason to do it.

PS: I just opened my MSF book to page 17, It does mention the kill switch but they only say "Engine Cut-off switch - It is near the right handgrip and is operated with the right thumb. It allows you to shut off the engine without removing your hand from the handlebar. "
So it doesn't really say how to use it, just more less says what it is.

Last edited by Arrethul; 08-01-2013 at 09:48 AM.
post #19 of 36 Old 08-01-2013, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

in india every one uses the engine kill every time and from now i will use it only in emergency.but if fuel pump is not working then bike wont start right???? And pgmi light blinks???

Here cbr technicain is saying fuel pump is not working,but my bike runs properly after a couple of switiching engine kill switch.
post #20 of 36 Old 08-01-2013, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,940 Posts
People who use the Engine Stop Switch every time they go to start/stop the engine, rather than just using the ignition key switch, may as well go ahead and order a replacement ESS assembly now and have it on hand for when the original switch fails... because more than likely it will fail when it is used like that. The Engine Stop Switch is simply not designed, or intended to be used as an "everyday" engine shut off switch. It's for quickly stopping the engine in an emergency. As if using it as a regular on/off switch is not bad enough, I've actually seen people slap the ESS to turn off the engine, with so much force, like they were trying to kill a fly or mosquito. ... I'm thinking WTF is that about?

As Aufitt pointed out, that some owners are not allowing the instrument cluster to complete its diagnostic "sweep" before hitting the starter button, could certainly explain some of the stalling, starting, high RPM idling issues. An Engine Stop Switch with worn out internal electrical contacts could also explain some of these issues as well, especially when the problem is intermittent.

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician

Last edited by MotoMike; 08-01-2013 at 11:20 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MotoMike For This Useful Post:
Arrethul (08-01-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page