My CBR250's engine turns off when Downshifting!!! - Page 128 - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1271 of 1280 Old 06-24-2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
The point is that letting it idle for a certain amount of time before riding off doesn't do anything magic to the adaptation. There is no adaptation possible until the O2 sensor comes up to temp which may never happen at just idle.
As was my case in point, for "predefined maps" and "prelearned conditions". But that the fuel is indeed still metered in a less precise way, erring on the side of safe and running a bit rich. Long term fuel trims aren't updated until the O2 sensor is heated and the engine is up to temp, and idling will not improve anything.

Which also goes back to my original point, that the stalling has to have more involved than just basic fuel metering to cause the decel shutoff. Almost wondering if the root cause is related to ignition.

Tis better to be thought a fool and remain silent, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

Last edited by cbrlocal; 06-24-2015 at 10:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1272 of 1280 Old 06-24-2015, 10:42 PM

Thanked 1,328 Times in 832 Posts
im not claiming any specific causative factor here,
just responding with experiences/conditions in
my cut-out 'phase'..

whateveritis, the greater the input
the better the over-view, the greater
chance of finding or knowing..

for me the idle period is only while revs drop
to 1500, which is about the time it takes for
helmet, gloves, mirror alignments and
a few steady breathes before away..

usually before first temp bar..
dont advocate idling for
the sake of idling..
post #1273 of 1280 Old 06-24-2015, 10:46 PM

There is no other root cause other than a decel shut off program that resumes injection at too low an rpm. When all tollerences meet in a perfect storm (warm engine but cool oil which is splashed up by the decel) the bike stalls. Kawasaki fixed it immediately in the USA Ninja300's with an updated fuel ecu. Honda never acknowledged the problem. My bike only did it twice and never again in 17,000 miles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1274 of 1280 Old 06-24-2015, 10:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Do you have a link to a thread?
Sorry, for the late reply but here's the link. Also, sounds like they have very common issues with our bike.
CBR300 Problems and Issues - Honda CBR 300 Forum

2013 CBR250R Repsol Edition
Carbon Fiber Tank Pads & Fuel Cap Cover•CBR300R/F Carbon Style Front Fender & Chain Guard•Low, Narrow Seat•Rear Black Seat Cowl•CBR500R Mirrors•CBR1000RR SE, 2014 MotoGP World Champions Decal•Amber Positioning Lights•Yoshimura R77 Exhaust & Bracket•Frame Sliders•Rear Spools•Fender Eliminator Kit•PSR Levers & Pegs•Shogun Bar End Sliders•Zero Gravity DS DB•Hot Bodies Flush Front Signals•Motordynamics Smoke Sequential LED Tail Lights•K&T Retrofit Projector Headlight
post #1275 of 1280 Old 06-25-2015, 01:44 AM

Quote:
There is no other root cause other than a decel shut off program that resumes injection at too low an rpm.
Untrue. There are many factors that could cause this and many nuances we can't be entirely sure of, many of which I already mentioned. Engine temp, air temp, humidity, TPS readings, timing, etc. Since it was never formally addressed by Honda, all we have is speculation, especially since it's so hard to replicate.

Quote:
When all tollerences meet in a perfect storm (warm engine but cool oil which is splashed up by the decel) the bike stalls. Kawasaki fixed it immediately in the USA Ninja300's with an updated fuel ecu. Honda never acknowledged the problem. My bike only did it twice and never again in 17,000 miles.
When my bike stalled, it was nearly at the end of my commute, after a 30 minute stint at 65 MPH on the highway. That oil was anything but cool, and oil temp has nothing to do with the fuel shutoff. We're also comparing apples to oranges, as Kawasaki did an entire recall on the 2013 ECU's, so who knows what the issue really was, as the ECU controls both fueling and ignition.

Tis better to be thought a fool and remain silent, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
post #1276 of 1280 Old 06-25-2015, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808Repsol View Post
Sorry, for the late reply but here's the link. Also, sounds like they have very common issues with our bike.
CBR300 Problems and Issues - Honda CBR 300 Forum
Too bad the site owners decided to split the 300, which is basically the same bike, to a new site. They had a good thing going here but now neither site gets much traffic.
hondafan likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1277 of 1280 Old 06-25-2015, 08:23 AM

All Honda had to do was increase the programming value of where fuel injection resumed after decel fuel shut off by 500 rpm. Problem solved. Good job Kawasaki for stepping up for it's customers and addressing their same issue right away. Too bad they couldn't just flash the ecu without replacing everyone of them just for a change on programming.

post #1278 of 1280 Old 06-25-2015, 11:51 AM

I have not read all the posts on this topic as I do not have the problem. Has anyone tried resetting the TPS closed position setting?
post #1279 of 1280 Old 06-25-2015, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan View Post
I have not read all the posts on this topic as I do not have the problem. Has anyone tried resetting the TPS closed position setting?
This happens when resetting the ECU. Can't say if anything really helps or hurts or neither, since the issue happens so few and far between.

post #1280 of 1280 Old 06-30-2015, 11:26 PM

just a head's up. i have had those random shut downs in last 32000 km but not so much that i would worry however off late while coasting or de-acceleration at low rpm it used to sound like the bike is farting. not exactly misfires but hollow fires.

i isolated the issue to Fuel filter which sits right below the tank. costs 350 INR ( roughly 5$) . ideal change is at 10k-12k miles. change if you haven't my issues is rectified also engine seems to be more smoother than before. the old one had crap filled in it. if done 10k 5$ ain't a big investment. give it a try either ways it will eventually be replaced. might solve the problem.

"A good long ride can clear your mind, restore your faith, and use up a lot of fuel."

RE Bullet 1977 - Current
Yam RX-100 1991 - Current
HH CBZ Classic 2003 - Current
Honda Activa 2004 - Current
Honda CBR 250R 2012 - Current
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theironhorse For This Useful Post:
Schroeder (07-01-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page