engine turns, has spark but does not strart - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 59 Old 10-06-2013, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

engine turns, has spark but does not strart

Hello all, my bike wont start so I looking for help with this problem.

Symptoms
Turn the ignition, switch to ON,...I can hear the fuel pump priming..., hit the start button and the engine just turns as if it had no gas. I have almost half tank of gas. I also tried starting it with the throttle fully open, just in case it was flooded, no luck,... the sound of the engine did not change at all while it was turning over.

I have checked the following:
Air filter looks clean and I do have a good spark. While the spark plug was out I pushed thick shop towel inside the spark plug hole and as I turned the engine the towel was blown out easily, which indicates some sort of compression at the very least.
When I inspected the spark plug I found it to be a bit dry than what I would expect it to be after multiple start attempts…. I am not a mechanic and I’m only going by my intuition…. the gap was measured to be .89mm with wire type gauge.
Since I had the tank propped up I took the IACV valve out and tested it. It did it’s rotation when ignition was turned to ON position.
So I was suspecting that the fuel was not getting into the combustion chamber… I decided to test if the fuel injector was spraying the fuel while out of the engine. I unscrew the two screws holding the injector and when I turned the ignition to ON the pressure in the fuel line simply separated the fuel injector from the end cap which is attached to the hose and lot of fuel spilled on the bike...VERY DANGERS DO NOT REPEAT THIS TEST. Besides scaring the s**t out of me, this test did prove that I do have some sort of fuel pressure right at the input of the fuel injector. I don’t see how I can test if the injector is spraying the fuel???? Holding the fuel injector and end cup with my hands is not safe at all.

The bike has 10,000km and it ran fine last ride three weeks ago where I did a 500km trip. I did 200km on gas that I currently have on the bike so I don’t think that the gas went bed after such little time.

I would like to spray the starting fluid into the intake and that will tell me if the problem is in fact with the lack of fuel in the cylinder. What type should I be using since this is a FI bike?
What do you guys suggest as for my next step?
The Following User Says Thank You to Giko For This Useful Post:
GreatOdin'sRaven (05-06-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 Old 10-06-2013, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,940 Posts
Does your Check Engine Light go out after the fuel pump cycles and the tachometer completes its sweep, or does it stay on?

Former Factory Test Rider/Technician
post #3 of 59 Old 10-06-2013, 03:35 PM

Sounds like it sat for three weeks correct?
I had problems starting after letting my bike sit for 2 weeks. Took several tries to start her up. Seemed like some type of fuel/vapor lock. You may also have a low battery, consider a battery tender while not riding for over a week especially during cold weather. Dim headlight is a good indicator if you cant get a voltmeter or to a service shop to check.

'14 Honda CB500X

SOLD-'12 Honda CBR 250 Tri-Color
Akrapovic Carbon Fiber Exhaust

post #4 of 59 Old 10-06-2013, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
Does your Check Engine Light go out after the fuel pump cycles and the tachometer completes its sweep, or does it stay on?
The check engine light goes OFF after the fuel pump cycles, every time. It never stayed on.
post #5 of 59 Old 10-06-2013, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipped99 View Post
Sounds like it sat for three weeks correct?
I had problems starting after letting my bike sit for 2 weeks. Took several tries to start her up. Seemed like some type of fuel/vapor lock. You may also have a low battery, consider a battery tender while not riding for over a week especially during cold weather. Dim headlight is a good indicator if you cant get a voltmeter or to a service shop to check.
I forgot to mention that. I have and currently am using the battery tender so the battery is fully charged.
I have been cranking on the engine at least 30 times for few seconds each try. I even tried open throttle encase the engine was flooded.
post #6 of 59 Old 10-06-2013, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

try turning on the bike, letting it go through it's start up sequence and then turn it off. Do this about 10 - 15 times, then try starting it. It could be that the fuel lines have drained back into the tank and need to be refilled before the bike will start.

Everyone has the right to be offended but just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right!
post #7 of 59 Old 10-06-2013, 09:56 PM

When checking the spark at the spark plug. You need a spare spark plug. By removing the spark plug, the engine will rotate very easy. This is an abnormal test for checking for spark. By using a spare spark plug. This will keep the engine in a normal starting routine. Ensuring that the ignition system is operating as it is suppose to.

When an engine is not operated for a period of time. Longer than a few days. The oil that is coating the rings and piston drains back into the engine sump. Resulting in lost of compression in the combustion chamber. Downward motion of the piston is not able to create a low pressure area inside the combustion chamber. Resulting in no air/fuel mixture being sucked/pushed into the cylinder.

With the spark plug removed. Inject 2 to 3 teaspoons of engine oil thru the spark plug hole. Temporary install the spark plug finger tight. Spin the engine over for 10 seconds with the starter. Remove and clean the spark plug, with a chemical. Gas, lighter fluid, choke cleaner or brake clean etc, etc.

Reinstall spark plug, try and see if the engine will start.

Another piece of information to consider. Gasoline will change from a liquid to a vapor at -16 deg F (-26 deg C) under normal conditions.

With the Dead Head Fuel System (no fuel return hose from injector to fuel tank) on the cbr. When the cbr is left sitting idle for a period of time. The gas in the line from the fuel pump to the injector will turn to vapor and be returned to the fuel tank when the pressure is above 43 psi. If the cbr is left idle for 3 weeks. There is a good possibility that the line from the fuel pump to the injector is filled with fuel vapor.

As mention above. Cycling the Key to let the fuel pump operate a few times should help. The fuel pump is a low volume, high pressure type. Volume, 2.34 oz (69.2 cc) in 10 seconds. How much fuel or vapor is in the line from the fuel pump to the injector?

If your Waiting on me, You're Late.

1999 Black Honda VQR234se 43,000+ Miles
2001 Red Kawasaki ZR-7s 18,000 Miles

A Service Manual Each, + CBR250R.
post #8 of 59 Old 10-07-2013, 06:24 AM

You could try this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gunk-M3515-I...c4734c&vxp=mtr

You seem to have proved that you have a spark and fuel to the injector. I think the self diagnostic would probably show a faulty injector on the engine fault light so, barring a major mechanical failure such as valve gear problems you should first make sure the air flow through the engine is working - no blocked intake or exhaust ( vandals can sometimes do this).

The ether spray should at least fire the engine for a second or two and if it doesn't keep running you would be sure that fuel delivery was the problem.

Regards Roadster

Last edited by roadster; 10-07-2013 at 06:26 AM.
post #9 of 59 Old 10-07-2013, 07:23 AM

Garage
Have you drained the gas and put some new gas in?
post #10 of 59 Old 10-07-2013, 08:25 AM

If you can easily get at your spark plug to momentarily remove it try putting
a small amount of gas into the hole. Put the plug back in and try to start the engine as usual, in as short a time as possible. If it fires and tries to run briefly you probably have a fuel / fuel delivery issue.
Having not started the engine for three weeks should be no issue, something else is wrong.

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page