Warning: Bitter rant at Honda omitting a center stand option... - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 62 Old 02-11-2012, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Warning: Bitter rant at Honda omitting a center stand option...

Be warned, this is nothing more than a rant born of frustration that Honda not only did not include a center stand on this bike, but they couldn't even find it in their hearts to add a couple mount points underneath to add an optional center stand for those that might want it. I, for one, would be happy to pay $100 to add an optional center stand. Even the regional tech at my dealer was puzzled why they would not even make it an option. Why does this piss me off?

Well, for starters, there is no threaded place on the swing arms to accept spools, so a stand which accomodates spools is out. So, today I figure "no problem," and I bought a stand with paddles, which rest under the swing arm. But when I placed the paddles just in front of the axle, Honda's montrously huge muffler hangs so low that it interferes completely with the right arm of the stand. No possible way to use it. I put a couple deep gouges in the paint on the bottom of the muffler before I figured out why it wasn't working. So I thought I'll move the paddles to just behind the axle, but then the left hub is too close to the swingarm, and the left paddle has nowhere to bite. So, then I looked into the few of those portable swingarm stands you can unfold and place under the right swingarm, so at least you can lift the rear for easier chain service. But alas, some models require a hollow axle for attachment, which the CBR has not. The others have a finger which reaches into the chain adjustment slot window, but the CBR has a solid depth gauge plate inside that slot which completely blocks such access.

I'm left to scratch my head and wonder, "How the bloody hell does Honda expect people to service their chains?" The only option I can think of now is spending ten times the money to have an ABBA stand shipped to me half way around the world, and having to pop off the swingarm caps and assemble that stand each time I want to do a clean and lube on the chain. Now that I'm done whining, has anybody in the US found a solution for this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 Old 02-11-2012, 02:33 AM
TBC

I remove my muffler really quick with my swing arm stand. due to a bolt wanting to hit muffler. really easy takes less than a minute to have tire off ground, just a idea since you have the swing arm stand already.
Center stand was nice on my Kz 750 i had, but not appropriate for a sport bike, just my thought
post #3 of 62 Old 02-11-2012, 02:43 AM

Pitbull rear stand. The universal or the spool version works if you get some after market spools. I recommend the Sato ones from a design stand point. I have the yoshi and they don't work well for adjusting the chain while supported by the spools.
The Following User Says Thank You to tollarja For This Useful Post:
Asako (04-26-2013)

post #4 of 62 Old 02-11-2012, 06:37 AM

Thanked 1,538 Times in 790 Posts
I agree with the OP. Honda should have fitted a centre stand on this bike, or at least have made it an optional extra.

Last edited by Wynne G Oldman; 02-11-2012 at 06:52 AM.
post #5 of 62 Old 02-11-2012, 06:50 AM

Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,315 Posts
It said in the sales brochure it does not have one.

Sent from my mobile phone while driving, waiting for a vigilante Motovlogger to star in his own train wreck.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aufitt For This Useful Post:
Asako (04-26-2013)
post #6 of 62 Old 02-11-2012, 07:31 AM

Would have been nice. Honda missed this one
post #7 of 62 Old 02-11-2012, 09:39 AM

I use a piece of wood (2X4). Long enough to place it under the right part of the swing arm right behind the rear axle. Take a hammer and tap the bottom and lift the wheel off the ground, or, if you are strong enough just lift the arm with one hand and slip the wood block in place. Get the tire a half inch off the ground and you can rotate the wheel for your chain lube.

regards
Badger
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004.JPG (82.7 KB, 212 views)

Last edited by Badger; 02-11-2012 at 09:49 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Badger For This Useful Post:
eluo (11-07-2013), sendler (04-26-2013)
post #8 of 62 Old 02-11-2012, 09:44 AM

Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,315 Posts
I just put the trolley jack under the suspension linkage on the side stand
untill my Sato spools arrive.

Or you could get a wheel dolly.. so many options.

Sent from my mobile phone while driving, waiting for a vigilante Motovlogger to star in his own train wreck.
post #9 of 62 Old 02-11-2012, 10:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
But when I placed the paddles just in front of the axle, Honda's montrously huge muffler hangs so low that it interferes completely with the right arm of the stand. No possible way to use it.
Engage brain.

Pics by 'g-j' on another forum.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redline For This Useful Post:
Asako (04-26-2013), wlockyer (04-26-2013)
post #10 of 62 Old 02-11-2012, 10:35 AM

Just went through this with a friend's 1982 GPZ750 that weighs almost 500 lbs.
He delivered it with a swingarm stand only. I find they are useless for anything except chain lubing. They are are actually race/pit stands, to park it between track sessions. The lift point is so far back that you need another stand to lift the front.
I sent him of to the wreckers to find a centre stand and bolts.
With that in place I was able to support the front of the frame with 2 jackstands. I had the wheel, brakes, forks, and steering head off the front, the rear wheel, brakes, shocks and swingarm removed from the back at the same time.
Like I said - it weighs almost 500 lbs. I was able to do all of it by myself, and I am old and scrawny.
That is why I like centrestands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page